HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 2:27 PM

Prohibition Ends!

1933 - Beer becomes legal at Belmont Grill 464 S. Main. Pershing Hotel, 502 S. Main Street.

Lapl

1933 - Malamute Bar opens after repeal of Prohibition. Address Unk.
(See also http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4286 )

Quote:
"Thousands of kegs are being washed, sterilized and soaked to tighten their joints as they are made ready to be filled by machinery that has lain idle for years and to be sent out when beer is legalized. The national brewing industry is expanding $100,000,000 on new equipment for immediate delivery, according to estimates by brewery experts, while the revenue yield to the government by taxation on beer is expected to reach $150,000,000 annually. The beer bill will become a law 15 days after it is signed by President Roosevelt."
April 17, 1933 - Eastside Brewery, located at 1920-2026 E. Main Street in Lincoln Heights.

April 1933 - Celebrate end of Prohibition at Eastside Brewery, 1920-2026 E. Main Street in Lincoln Heights with Jean Harlow, Walter Huston, and brewery manager, Charles J. Hick.
Lapl

Los Angeles Brewery aka Eastside Brewery
Quote:
Built between 1898 and 1908, and owned by George Zobelein, a former partner of Maier and Zobelein Brewery, After the two split in 1907, Zobelein named his new beer "Eastside" since Los Angeles Brewing Company was located east of the Los Angles River at the 1920-2026 block of Main Street. The bottling facility later became Eastside Brewery, which was eventually sold and was finally owned by Pabst Brewery.
Lapl

Last edited by BifRayRock; Jan 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Something to be said for simplicity. Less obtrusive lighting deserves its own post.
120 N. Norton Ave. Undated

Lapl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
BTW, I know that house. It's a Paul Williams. (1922)

tovangar: I've always found a definitive online list of Paul Williams houses elusive. Do you know of one? (Do you have his daughter's book? Perhaps it has a definitive list.) The Paul Williams Project refers to a large number of domestic projects, but doesn't seem to list them, or have any info on 120 N Norton. Among those Hancock Park/Windsor Square houses it does cover are...

The Sedgwick Leistikow house, 554 Lorraine; 1923

The Gabriel Duque house, 340 N Las Palmas; no date, but Duque is listed there in 1926

The Hugh H Glen house, 164 N Las Palmas; 1935

The Peachy/Burr house, 325 N Las Palmas; 1929. According the the Paul Williams Project, this invisible house was built for Katherine Peachy in 1929 and sold to Clyde Burr in 1952. While Burr is listed after that time at 325 N Las Palmas, the Peachy family was listed from at least 1929 well into the '60s at the house below at 336 N McCadden. Perhaps Peachy built 325 N Las Palmas on spec and moved into 336 N McCadden herself... could the house below be another Paul Wiiliams design?

A Peachy house, 336 N McCadden

Pics: GoogleSV

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
1933 - Malamute Bar opens after repeal of Prohibition. Address Unk.

BRR: We've been trying to find the location of this place for years. Maybe you will be able to. Wherever it may be, some pictures of it have signs in front claiming that it's the first bar to open after Repeal.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
BRR: We've been trying to find the location of this place for years. Maybe you will be able to. Wherever it may be, some pictures of it have signs in front claiming that it's the first bar to open after Repeal.
Glad you mentioned it as I forgot to include a link to earlier photos.http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4286

Prior to post I tried various directories and search engines without success. I suspect that it may have been a short lived novelty. Interesting that it has two doors with two different street markings. Half cafe and half bar? Would expect a photo of "The" Log Cabin to be in photo pool/pond with other themed businesses. Will continue to keep an eye out.

Re Paul Williams, I heard a realtor credit him with designing an unknown number of smaller homes on other nearby streets, e.g., Citrus, Mansfield, Sycamore and Detroit. Some of this may verifiable, but some of it may be the wishful thinking of an over-zealous realtor trying to retire early. One assumes, like many good designs, some of the copies are as good or better than the originals. Just out of curiosity, PW/s accomplishments are almost too many to list, but did he have any recognized dud/s?

More from the Malamute?

Lapl

1920 - Santa Monica Toed Inn (Tadpole stage)
Lapl

1930s - Mature
Google http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp...df3o1_1280.jpg

1938 - Santa Monica Storm-ravaged "Toed Inn." (Very Mature)
SMPL

Last edited by BifRayRock; Mar 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Pleased to learn that this bridge is to be retained and will not meet the fate of the First Street Bridge. Sounds like it could be well worth checking out once the scheme is completed.

A big thanks to you for your help. I am in awe of the knowledge that you guys have and the speed that you come up with answers. I can't think of another website that is so together -the mixture of noir, architecture, history is captivating.

From a snowy Britain,

Cheers

alester

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:13 PM

Circa 1890 "View on South Main Street." (Definitely not a PWilliams design.)

Lib.CA.Gov

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:37 PM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 5:05 PM

....and then there is this amazing 1949 photograph. (looking southwest from what was once called calle de los negros)

http://life.time.com/
__

This fine photograph was posted once before back in Sept. of 2011.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4756

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:17 PM

Paul R Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
tovangar: I've always found a definitive online list of Paul Williams houses elusive. Do you know of one?
I don't GW, nor for any other architect. One reads that Stiles O Clements built more than 50 buildings on Wilshire alone, but no address list is given. We must have lost plenty of buildings by notable architects without even realizing it.

I don't know if one could now pull together a list of the 2,000 homes Williams designed (let alone his other buildings) as his archives were apparently lost in a fire in the 90s. Individual homeowners may have info (as is the case with the N Norton house) but it would be hard to gather.

I have a real weakness for Mr. William's Hollywood Regency efforts. I adore Saks Fifth Avenue Beverly Hills inside and out. The Assistance League of Southern California building is another favorite (although judging by his own home, his personal tastes were different than mine).

Has anyone asked Jim Heimann about an address for the Malamute? If anyone would know, it would be him.

Thank you BRR for the Harlow pic. I'd mentioned in a previous post that she christened the first Eastside truck out after repeal, but failed to find a picture to go with the claim. Great "Eastside" billboard too in the pic you posted of the drive-in.

Also, there's one of those single, concrete-stanchioned bubble lights in front of the Toed-Inn, same as the one at the Egyptian-style house Godzilla posted two pages back. Not my favorite design (I like the the "soft-serve" lights on the slender metal columns), but it's nice to see the variety.

Greetings fom 90025

P.S.
Thx for reposting the 1949 photo ethereal, that one never gets old.
Taix was at 321 Commercial Street (definitely within old Frenchtown, only yards from the site of El Aliso and the Vignes Winery): http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...-taix-20101017

I think the construction may be for the Santa Ana Freeway/101 (built 1947-1956): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_Freeway

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:59 PM

The Bucket "serving burgers since 1935" at 4541 Eagle Rock Blvd.

taken Oct. 1986

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8348059@N02/5463554300/

Oct. 1986

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8348059@N02/5463554300/
__

date unknown. (closed on Sunday)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmags/469545447/
__

The Bucket December 2009.

http://coachingforpizza.blogspot.com...l-college.html

...and finally a google street view. Long live The Bucket!

gsv

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:00 PM

Fictional BUT real

I like when movie directors (or screen writers) include accurate details – non fictional – that only very few people (Noirisher type) will notice. Details that are not necessary to the plot. It is kinda blink towards connoisseurs.
Here are 2 related to Los Angeles :

« Chinatown » by Roman Polanski and Robert Towne (a favorite motion picture on the thread) is set in 1937. Certainly in summer as there is a drought. At one moment, J. J. Gittes (Nicholson) passes a beach bar and we hear by the opened door a juke box playing « I Can't Get Started » by Bunny Berigan. Well, it's not just any jazz recording of the 1930's to set the right mood... it is the hit of the summer of 1937 (August precisely) !

Bunny Berigan (a somewhat noirish look... William Faulkner/Dashiell Hammett in-between )

atozmusicfree.blogspot.com

Now another favorite : « Criss Cross » by Robert Siodmak and Daniel Fuchs. Let's examine the scene between Yvonne De Carlo and Burt Lancaster in the drugstore :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
This fictional place (Beaudry explained why) is not any drugstore Downtown : it is the « drugstore at the corner ». It is located on Temple Street, somewhere on the north sidewalk between Broadway and Hill Street. More or less in front of Burt Lancaster's house, up the north portal at the Hill Street tunnel. I thought at first that the drugstore could as well be on the south sidewalk of 1st Street, somewhere between Los Angeles and San Pedro Streets, but we would see the State Building and the Hall of Records behind the City Hall. And the street would go up. On the rear projection, it goes down as Temple does to the East.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:05 PM

Quote:
[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Tahoma"]

Lapl

The pretty girl in the top photo looks like she's trying a new way to order a refill.

The mustachioed bartender in photo 2 looks like a young Johnny Carson.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 9:20 PM

Aerial view of The Bucket and it's new neighbor The Oxy Lofts.

google aerial

An earlier aerial before construction of the Oxy Lofts.

http://zone23.tumblr.com/post/152621...rt-1-oxy-lofts
__

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 10:04 PM

Malamute Saloon

Quote:

Prior to post I tried various directories and search engines without success. I suspect that it may have been a short lived novelty. Interesting that it has two doors with two different street markings. Half cafe and half bar? Would expect a photo of "The" Log Cabin to be in photo pool/pond with other themed businesses. Will continue to keep an eye out.

Lapl

While trying to find a location for the Malamute, I Googled, "log cabin 1016" and got, LOL, "log cabin 1061". Google does try very hard:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas_...an/5500795432/

-and-
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7388

...and what is the tree-shaped incinerator(?) to the right of the Malamute's entrance and the big tank-looking thing to the left?

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmos View Post
The pretty girl in the top photo looks like she's trying a new way to order a refill.

The mustachioed bartender in photo 2 looks like a young Johnny Carson.
That's not signaling for a refill, that's listening to the Pacific Ocean.

Johnny Who?

Speaking of libations, I can't recall seeing any Hemingway - Los Angeles images. It is said he visited Musso's and many of the famous '40s watering holes. Surely there's a a picture of him auditing classes at USC, parking cars at the Ambassador, or visiting Monkey Island with G. Cooper. Or maybe I am thinking of someone else.

There was a Harry's American Bar in Century City?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 10:30 PM

After looking at the Malamute Saloon photos, I had the hot idea that it was located in a tourist area, such as The Pike or Pacific Ocean Park. It seems to be on some kind of sandy walkway, not a real street. However, tilting at this particular windmill has also proved fruitless.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
While trying to find a location for the Malamute, I Googled, "log cabin 1016" and got, LOL, "log cabin 1061". Google does try very hard:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas_...an/5500795432/

-and-
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7388

...and what is the tree-shaped incinerator(?) to the right of the Malamute's entrance and the big tank-looking thing to the left?

Malamute Musings.

Some of the earmarks are there but . . .

Look closer at the photo. The Log Cabin is next door to the Malamute and would probably have a higher or lower address number. Directory listings exist for White Log Cabin and Log Cabin Bread, but I do not see any Malamutes. Maybe someone should call the Ambassador Dog Hospital for assistance.

Notice the Malamute's floor. Guessing it is beach sand or sawdust since most pea gravel was reserved for gas stations. The exterior looks like it received Republic-First National backlot plaster treatment best viewed under indirect lighting or corrected in the lab.

Is that a crudely constructed incinerator or a crudely constructed bottle, jug or smoker? The Tower/Silo object is vaguely reminiscent a coffee pot roadside attraction.

Downtown is a logical starting place, but is there anything definitively placing the Malamute there? Barney's Beanery is equally rustic, but it is neither downtown nor freeway close to downtown.

google

Whatever happened to Love's on Pico?
google

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 11:27 PM

Chinatown (1974)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
« Chinatown » by Roman Polanski and Robert Towne (a favorite motion picture on the thread) is set in 1937. Certainly in summer as there is a drought. At one moment, J. J. Gittes (Nicholson) passes a beach bar and we hear by the opened door a juke box playing « I Can't Get Started » by Bunny Berigan. Well, it's not just any jazz recording of the 1930's to set the right mood... it is the hit of the summer of 1937 (August precisely) !
Good ear! I missed that.

I just contributed an incongruity to IMBD: when Gittes comes to after being beaten in the orange grove scene (at Walter Brennan's Triad Ranch out in Moorpark), one can see a 1974-era refrigerator through the window behind him as he sits up.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 11:32 PM

Malamute Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

lapl

Malamute Musings.

Look closer at the photo. The Log Cabin is next door to the Malamute and would probably have a higher or lower address number. Directory listings exist for White Log Cabin and Log Cabin Bread, but I do not see any Malamutes. Maybe someone should call the Ambassador Dog Hospital for assistance.

Notice the Malamute's floor. Guessing it is beach sand or sawdust since most pea gravel was reserved for gas stations. The exterior looks like it received Republic-First National backlot plaster treatment best viewed under indirect lighting or corrected in the lab.

Is that a crudely constructed incinerator or a crudely constructed bottle, jug or smoker? The Tower/Silo object is vaguely reminiscent a coffee pot roadside attraction.

Downtown is a logical starting place, but is there anything definitively placing the Malamute there? Barney's Beanery is equally rustic, but it is neither downtown nor freeway close to downtown.
I was guessing it was an incinerator because of the little door fitted in the base (see photo above).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 12:29 AM

sawdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

Malamute Musings.

Notice the Malamute's floor. Guessing it is beach sand or sawdust since most pea gravel was reserved for gas stations.

LOL.......Unlikely it's beach sand, as the Malumute seems to be lacking in Trader Vic's/Tommy Bahama decor.

And certainly not pea gravel. Recall the filling stations used it all up, resulting in the Pea Gravel Shortage of the 1930s.

Sawdust. Many saloons used it, as it was both absorbent and easy to clean the mud n' the blood n' the beer every so often (just sweep it all out and apply a fresh layer).

Whatever happened to Love's on Pico?
google

All the Love's are history. The Pico location is now, in quintessential LA style, a parking lot for a limousine service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos