HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 9:30 PM

One to be grateful for...

The P.E. Ivy Substation - 9070 Venice Blvd, Culver City (1907)
stucco over brick
(Actually in LA, leased by Culver City)

In the eighties I thought it was only a matter of time....

1982 - terry guy/flickr

Formerly the home of 300 homeless people, now a live performance theater (gentrification is always a trade-off).

(I wish they'd change out those streetlamps):

gsv

floyd b bariscale/flickr

Recreation of the fountain used to recirculate water to cool the machinery that converted AC to DC. It has a great utilitarian look.

floyd b bariscale/flickr

And yes, it got "memorialized" in Florida in this pastiche of the Ivy and Olive substations (but the streetlamps are better):

yesterland.com

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 10:38 PM

6634 Sunset Blvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
In the process of looking for the Carty market on Washington, I found a few other standing streamline buildings...

--the horizontal louvers don't appear to be original to the building, but I do like the more colorful treatment of the facade, whatever its vintage, compared to the dreary brown of today.

color 6634 Sunset: Superstock; others: GoogleSV
What a gorgeous little building this was with its B&W glazed-tile horizontal stripes. The second floor "penthouse" with terrace looks a lovely spot for a noirsh cocktail party and the louvers are great as is the drive, topped by the building's once-outlined-in-neon fascia strip. Awesome that the porthole door has survived, but too bad someone thinks coiled razor-wire is the way to go. Still in very savable condition (I'd rid it of the 50's/60's now-blank sign though). Just down and across from Crossroads of the World.

Thx GW for pointing this one out. Memorable.

gsv

UPDATE:

urbanizela

P.S. Re 5931 Hollywood Blvd, that seems to be a private drive (Google camera car didn't go there) to access new development in the interior of the block which replaced the gardens.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 12, 2017 at 2:25 AM. Reason: Update

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 11:41 PM

Pasadena Flickers?

Tower theater in Pasadena, 114 E. Colorado Blvd. Not to be confused with the similarly named theater in Downtown LA. Opened 1930, Photo with Train circa '38. Second photo undated.

lapl

The [Fox] Colorado - 1003 E Colorado Blvd. ca. '31 Formerly known as the Egyptian. Now called the Academy.
lapl
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/2155/photos/24086

The Rialto - 1023 Fair Oaks Ave. South Pasadena
lapl
lapl

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...c&user=2496983

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 12:48 AM

Rialto/The Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Pasadena Flickers?

lapl
The Rialto looked great inside, out and around the back in The Player (1992). Can't locate a screen grab of the Rialto, but here's Tim Robbins looking mighty noir as the perp who gets away with it.
(It's Robbin's theater troop that's housed in the Ivy P.E. substation BTW)

palzoo

The Player's "victim" "lived" with Greta Scacchi a couple of blocks from me. It was fun watching the filming. There was a second full moon that night, suspended from a crane. Both ended up on the cutting room floor.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 20, 2012 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 1:21 AM

An aside... I happened to have seen Greta Scacchi at a memorial service a few weeks ago, and I can attest that not only is she still incredibly beautiful, she appears to have had not even the tiniest bit of work done... Bravo.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 20, 2012 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 1:33 AM

As I was poking around the corner of Hollywood & Bronson in pursuit of streamline, this hidden house caught my eye.... Turns out it dates from the earliest days of Hollywood, when the boulevard was known as Prospect Avenue and was lined with residences. By the '20s, many houses on main Los Angeles thoroughfares were demolished or moved to other locations. The famous Janes house (see this post, this one, and this one) was apparently moved back from the street; this may have been the case with what became 1717 North Bronson, although it may very well remain on its original foundation. In any case, the front lawn of 1717 was separated from the lot and gained a commercial strip; the house, previously with a Prospect Avenue and then a Hollywood Boulevard address, was reconfigured to more or less face Bronson and readdressed. I couldn't find any old shots of it... although the Google views above do have a bit a noir about them with the overgrown gardens and the sidewalk seating area being made use of in one picture. I'm not sure who lived in the house early on, but by the late 1910s the widow Mrs. Mabel Cameron was serving meals there a la Mildred Pierce, continuing to at least 1925. Next was Mrs. Mary Mowitt--later Clifford--who rented furnished rooms into the '40s; after that, Vincent Lombardi and at least one of his sons moved in. Lombardi was still living there when he died in 1948. Somehow, the 108-year-old house remains, though against some tough odds. More info here, here, and in other Hollywood Heritage googlings.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 2:00 AM
Closed account

My show biz career....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Tahoma"]
Pasadena Flickers?

I worked almost three years as a doorman at this Academy theater. I started when I had just turned 17 years old. Always lots of fun and excitement in those days. The interior was elegant and luxurious with thick wool carpets.

I got to meet and see many Hollywood stars as we had many Previews of films. Steve McQueen [unshaven], Peter Lore, Roz Russell, Jack Warner [of Warner Bros.], Tommy Sands, Wink Martindale [and his daughters]....and more than I can remember. Fun days for sure.

One manager of fired for stealing money and once the theater was robbed at gunpoint of $14,000 candy money plus the ticket sales of $8,000 [they made the manager open the safe with a gun to his head]. I recall they never caught the two robbers. The janitors, bank guard and cashiers were tied up and placed in the restrooms. The robbery started at midnight and ended around 10 AM the next day. I'm just glad I was off work that day. When I arrived for my evening work shift, the shocked manager was still sweating.

Last edited by DouglasUrantia; Dec 20, 2012 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 2:06 AM

1717 N Bronson

Thank you GW for finding this. I'd "lost" it a couple of streets away and thought it was gone.
Two and one half stories and look at that weather vane!
Plus only a block or two west of Scotty's infamous Richfield Station

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 20, 2012 at 2:22 AM. Reason: correction

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 2:50 AM

Harvard at Loma Linda

For old Hollywood-area houses, I always liked this one, on Harvard at Loma Linda (one block north of Hollywood Blvd). It looks so grand sitting on its plinth. It got rather uncared-for and spooky looking at one point, but has been bought back. It's just down from one of the Zwebell complexes, Casa Laguna, on Franklin, where a friend lived for 20 years and down and across from private Laughlin Park, where another friend lives now in Jack Dempsey's old house. (Driving around Laughlin Park makes the decades melt away for sure.)

gsv

gsv

One block down and one to the east, at Hollywood and North Kingsley Dr, is this wonderful shopping/apartment complex
(It must have been really beautiful pre the jumble of signage):

gsv

The apartments upstairs share a roof terrace:

gsv

I don't stop there at night though. (Too put off by the crack house across the street.)

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 20, 2012 at 5:17 AM. Reason: add pix

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 4:12 AM
I Like Turtles!

All Hail The "King of Obscure Detail"

As someone who lives nearly 3000 miles away from LA (and who has never had the pleasure of visiting your city) I absolutely love the drama of old LA. I am usually more interested in the forgotten souls who shaped, built, influenced, or simply inhabited the city. So when I saw the newspaper article posted by GaylordWilshire about the tragic ambulance accident, I started to look for histories of the people involved.
LAT
While checking on the lives of the various people listed in the article, I came across the unfortunate notice of Mr. John M. Nickerson. The article mentions his address as 818 S. Bonnie Brae Street. By weird chance, ethereal reality posted a pic of his address just 2 pages ago. Ethereal reality mentioned the quirky style of the 3rd floor roof area. Gotta love it!
google.com/maps

Huge city, small world.

BTW....Merry Christmas to everyone here. (No politically correct "Happy Generic Holiday or Non-Holiday" BS here). Peace, good health, and good will to all of you and your loved ones.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 5:55 AM

One block down and one to the east, at Hollywood and North Kingsley Dr, is this wonderful shopping/apartment complex
(It must have been really beautiful pre the jumble of signage):

gsv

The apartments upstairs share a roof terrace:

gsv

I don't stop there at night though. (Too put off by the crack house across the street.)[/QUOTE]

Here's the complex as captured by Herman Schultheis ca. 1937.

LAPL

LAPL

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:33 AM

Just found this book at a yard sale. Looking forward to reading it!

Here is also the description on the back of the cover. Anyone else read or found this book before?
Also, I made a couple comments recently. Which have been completely ignored. Must I always post photos or links to get a nod? to recap, Just said Merry Christmas, Thanks to all on this site, and anyone up for a walking tour of DTLA?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
Just found this book at a yard sale. Looking forward to reading it!

Here is also the description on the back of the cover. Anyone else read or found this book before?
Also, I made a couple comments recently. Which have been completely ignored. Must I always post photos or links to get a nod? to recap, Just said Merry Christmas, Thanks to all on this site, and anyone up for a walking tour of DTLA?
Merry Christmas to you too!

I've read the book, very interesting goes into great detail regarding the various police chiefs of Los Angeles and the troubles with Mickey Cohen

Wasn't quite 'Noirish' enough for my liking though

Have you read this one?

http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/history_mi...lty_Place.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
For old Hollywood-area houses, I always liked this one, on Harvard at Loma Linda (one block north of Hollywood Blvd). It looks so grand sitting on its plinth. It got rather uncared-for and spooky looking at one point, but has been bought back. It's just down from one of the Zwebell complexes, Casa Laguna, on Franklin, where a friend lived for 20 years and down and across from private Laughlin Park, where another friend lives now in Jack Dempsey's old house. (Driving around Laughlin Park makes the decades melt away for sure.)

I don't stop there at night though. (Too put off by the crack house across the street.)
Your friends lives in Jack Dempseys old house!!!!

Dempsey is my hero! I've got a ton of memorabila

which of his LA houses is it?

Not this cracker unfortunately

http://paradiseleased.wordpress.com/...estern-avenue/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 8:26 AM

Thanks, Joe Gillis for the letting me know about the two books. I will check it out the other one you recommend. I found a great 4 part or 6 part video on Mickey Cohen and his troubles with Parker on YouTube. May have been a link off of this site. Love all that I learn from you guys!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
^^^ I was looking over the list provided by Scott and noticed "1922 Union Stock Yards established".

Because of my Illinois roots, I have always been interested in various city's stock yards
Chicago was home to the largest stock yards in the world!!

It's very rare to come across a photograph of the Los Angeles Union Stock Yards.
I have a total of two photographs (and one I can not find in my files).

Below: This is my best photo of the Los Angeles Union Stock Yards. The photo is quite impressive as far as stock yards go.
I was certainly surprised to see such a magnificent dome-like structure.

unknown

Does anyone else have photos or information concerning the Los Angeles Union Stock Yards?
Hey ER, I know your stock yards post was a long time ago (page 125), but I couldn't see that you ever got a response, so here goes . . . .

Los Angeles Union Stock Yards: Opened November 1, 1922, closed January 31, 1960 (per LA Times articles). Address was 4500 Downey Rd., Los Angeles.
Here's an undated photo with the now-completed domed building from your picture:

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics23/00031459.jpg

1923 view of the brand-new Administration Building:

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/90378/rec/3

An undated but I'm guessing also 1923 photo of the courtyard of the Administration Building. It almost looks like the inside of a 19-century fort!

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/90374/rec/1

1925 aerial view with LA River at top:

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics48/00058750.jpg

1937: Cattle in the "weighing alley" on the way to the scales:

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics30/00049748.jpg

And it wasn't just cattle: Here are ex-army cavalry horses being auctioned off in 1944. I hope they went to good homes:

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics31/00050438.jpg

In 1953, 1,500 sheep passed thru here weekly, and 2,500 hogs. I guess the guy on the left forgot his gloves:

http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics30/00049747.jpg

1955 (at upper right of photo, south of river):

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00089/00089073.jpg

The u-shaped, domed building in the foreground of the photo above is the Central Manufacturing District Terminal Building (I hope to post about it and other interesting industrial buildings in that area soon), which, along with the stock yards, was part of a large industrial development:

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00100/00100715.jpg

(Admin Bldg shots from USC Digital Archives; all others LA Public Library)

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 3, 2014 at 1:27 AM. Reason: Update open and closing dates

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 3:01 PM

Quote:

gsv

When AlbanyNY noticed a few posts back that one of the Angelenos killed by a car lived in the famous Moores house mentioned just before that, he called it a case of "huge city, small world".... In that vein there is 1749 N Harvard, which was from about 1907--according to some sources when the house was built, and when Harvard in these precincts was Crown Avenue--to his death in 1924 the home of Ralph S. Toberman, son of Mayor James R. Toberman and cousin of Hollywood developer Charles E. Toberman who lived next door at 1761 and who was the man who put up the commercial strip on the lawn of 1717 N Bronson recently discussed.

Historic Map Works
1907; before annexation, the address was 149 Crown Avenue, which became 1749 N Crown, and then 1749 N Harvard by about 1914.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 20, 2012 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:40 PM

Toberman House/Jack Dempsey/El Adobe Studios/Yuletide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
...1749 N Harvard, which was from about 1907--according to some sources when the house was built, and when Harvard in these precincts was Crown Avenue--to his death in 1924 the home of Ralph S. Toberman, son of Mayor James R. Toberman and cousin of Hollywood developer Charles E. Toberman who lived next door at 1761...
Wow, a Toberman house. Now I really am impressed. I have so much affection for the old surviving houses on the "flats". There's so few left. Thx GW so much for the history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
Your friend lives in Jack Dempseys old house!!!!
which of his LA houses is it?
It's the one where he lived with Estelle Taylor:

ebay

One can see the carriage house just beyond on the right (its roof's been colored differently from the main house in this view). At some point in the past that structure was sold off as a separate house. It came up for sale a few years back. I tried and failed to get my friend to buy it to restore the integrity of the estate, but he says he has enough house to deal with (plus new garages were built between and they would have had to be demolished). No Google Street View as the Google camera car can't get past the exceeding ugly Laughlin Park gates. But one can glimpse it from the old main entrance on Los Feliz Blvd (the address was changed at some point to move the new approach inside the Laughlin Park gates):

gsv

Thank you so much ChristinaR for posting those beautiful 1937 Herman Schultheis shots of El Adobe Shops and Studios. It was a real treat to see them. I'll pass them on to my friend who used to live a block north at Casa Laguna on Franklin. They'll knock him out.

Happy Yuletide everyone (you too alanlutz). The solstice passes at 11:12 UTC tomorrow (that's 3:12 am LA time). It's the hook that everyone's winter (or summer if you're south of the equator) hols hang on and yet another thing we all have in common. I do love planetary events. I'm braced to be descended upon tomorrow by huge numbers of friends and family who expect to be able to stuff themselves silly in my tiny flat. Busy. Have a great one.

P.S. Thx too to Flyingwedge for the terrific LA Stock Yards pix (the arena was gorgeous), although you made me remember, when I was a student at the Institute of Design at IIT on Chicago's South Side, the hot days when the clinging smell of rotting death would emanate from the Stock Yards/slaughterhouses and envelope everything. No wonder I'm vegan.

Last edited by tovangar2; Oct 27, 2015 at 2:38 AM. Reason: add P.S.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Hey ER, I know your stock yards post was a long time ago (page 125), but I couldn't see that you ever got a response, so here goes . . . .

Los Angeles Union Stock Yards: Opened 1922, closed 1958. Address was 4500 Downey Rd., Los Angeles.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00100/00100715.jpg

(Admin Bldg shots from USC Digital Archives; all others LA Public Library)
Flyingwedge, THANK YOU FOR THOSE AWESOME PICTURES of the L.A. Stockyards! I had no idea they even exited here in L.A. I am learning SO MUCH from you guys on this site.
BTW, I am still learning new tricks here so I shortened the reply with quote by deleting most of your pictures and just kept the one of the plaque so you know which set I am referring to.
It was a "real treat" for me as a kid living near Topeka, KS to go and visit the Kansas City Stockyards when we delivered our few cattle, sheep, and wool. But it is an experience I still remember well

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
It's the one where he lived with Estelle Taylor:

baibury/ebay at some point to move the new approach inside the Laughlin Park gates):

gsv
Jack Dempsey - out and about.

Undated photo of JD

Jack had four marriages. Maxine Gates ('16–'19); Estelle Taylor ('25–'33); , Hannah Williams ('33–'43), and Deanna Piatelli ('43–'83)

Number 2: Jack and Estelle ('25-'33).

Number 3: Jack, Hanna and baby Joan arrive in LA Photo dated: July 29, 1935

Jack jogs the local hills(??) Location and date - unspecified.

Dempsey boxes at the Gables Club in Santa Monica. The Gables Club was built in the early '20s and destroyed by fire shortly thereafter.

Allposters.com
http://beachhouse.smgov.net/beachstories/2.html

Circa 1932 - "Coolest spot in the Valley" - Fox Theater, located at 114 W. Third Street in Pomona, Dempsey making personal appearance.
UNless otherwise indicated, all photos from lapl

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos