HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
I haven't been able to find a better copy of the "Wireless" photo, but I did come across this. It's from the pages of the New York Clipper, published Feb. 20th, 1908:
[source: fultonhistory.com]
From the Los Angeles Herald, July 10, 1910 [A product of Optical Character Recognition] http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cdnc/cgi-bin/cdn...--1-----all---:

Quote:
First Time in Los Angeles Tomorrow Night - LEWIS 8. STONE and the Belasco theater company will present Paul Armstrong in Winchell Smith's enormously successful play. "VIA WIRELESS"

This is the most important Belasco offering of the year. "VIA WIRELESS" Is one of the most spectacularly successful plays of recent years. Its triumph In New York. Chicago, Philadelphia and the other large eastern cities was simply tremendous. It's the biggest play that has ever been given by any stock company anywhere, AND OF COURSE, IT'S ONLY TO BE SEEN AT THE BELASCO AND AT THE REGULAR BELASCO PRICES.

"Via Wireless" will show a complete wireless outfit in operation. The production will reveal the highest achievement in stagecraft. A yacht scene of wonderful conception will delight everyone. There's not a dull moment In "VIA WIRELESS." It's surely the "SOMETHING POlNT'" play of the century. IN ALL THE WORLD THERE IS NO PLAY LIKE "VIA WIRELESS." Notwithstanding the exceptionally heavy expense of the "Via Wireless" production there will be no advance over the regular Belasco prices. Every night 25c to 75c. Matinees Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, 25c to 50c. THE ONLY CHANCE YOU'LL HAVE TO SEE THIS GREAT PLAY IS TO GET YOUR SEATS QUICK.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 7:01 PM

This question may have been asked and answered before (possibly 22 times), but I'm curious:

Was Clifton's Brookdale originally a three-story building, with two floors added later? It looks like it from the picture:

Photo by @KCETFood via Twitter

Last edited by Lwize; Aug 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 7:37 PM

Clifton's Cafeteria

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../AAA-NG-1203-I

Just found out: The building was constructed in 1904 as a furniture store.

Pictured here in 1927.

Last edited by jaco; Aug 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMadre View Post
This Packard dealership was, I believe on Santa Monica Blvd. in Santa Monia. Someone recently said that this still is there as a Mercedes dealership, although I'm not sure.
This image is pretty washed out. Its a lousy print that I made 38 years ago in a make-shift darkroom at my parents house in the bathroom. Now that I have located the 8X10" negative, it will be fun to see all the detail that doesn't show up in this crummy scan.

they decorated the windows during the Christmas season

Unfortunately this showroom photo comes to me from Mr. Thompson's trash with no markings on the back. All I do know is that they are either 1930 or 1931 Ford Model A's and the dealership was in the Los Angeles/Santa Monica area

There was discussion last year about how W.I.Simonson Mercedes-Benz in Santa Monica preserved the building, as shown below:

(photo from wisimonson.net)

That is only part of the story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times
Fire Guts Mercedes-Benz Auto Dealership
April 18, 1986

Fire gutted the W.I. Simonson automobile dealership in Santa Monica on Thursday, destroying the landmark Spanish revival-style building and crushing at least 25 Mercedes-Benz motorcars.

No injuries were reported, but a Santa Monica Fire Department spokeswoman estimated damage to the cars and building at more than $1 million.

Firefighters said the blaze was discovered in the repair shop area at about 6 p.m., and appeared to be fully controlled 45 minutes later. But it burst forth at about 7:45 p.m., shattering a huge plate glass window in front and bringing down the showroom roof on the expensive cars on display there.

Cause of the fire was under investigation.
Simonson not only maintained the building for decades, but rebuilt and restored the building to its former glory after the 1986 fire.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 6:39 PM

A glimpse inside a meat market in Monterey Park. 10 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

Note the very impressive marble counter.

ebay

below: The name and location of the butcher's shop is at lower right.

ebay

below: Detail of the meat counter. Makes me hungry for BBQ ribs or a ham steak.

ebay

below: What is this on the counter top? It appears to be a huge smiling pig's head!

__

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:16 PM
Last exit for the lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../AAA-NG-1203-I

Just found out: The building was constructed in 1904 as a furniture store.

Pictured here in 1927.

Its such a shame what happened to that building...

Image courtesy of google earth.

Speaking of shameful stuff, have any of you wandered down Olvera Street lately? I was walking down there about a month ago coming back from Hop Louie in Chinatown after an incredible amount of unhealthy delicious food, when I suddenly stopped, not really knowing why, and then looked up, and became violently ill when I saw that some complete and total idiot had stuck this monstrosity on top of one of the buildings. I mean, I know that LA likes to mess with its architecture and all (reading this forum is proof enough), but somehow I would have though that Olvera Street would be at least SOMEWHAT holy, and would be left alone.

Apparently not... These pictures were taken this morning.

Photos courtesy of Horthos, yours truly.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:32 PM

press photo

__

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horthos View Post
Speaking of shameful stuff, have any of you wandered down Olvera Street lately? I was walking down there about a month ago coming back from Hop Louie in Chinatown after an incredible amount of unhealthy delicious food, when I suddenly stopped, not really knowing why, and then looked up, and became violently ill when I saw that some complete and total idiot had stuck this monstrosity on top of one of the buildings. I mean, I know that LA likes to mess with its architecture and all (reading this forum is proof enough), but somehow I would have though that Olvera Street would be at least SOMEWHAT holy, and would be left alone.

Photos courtesy of Horthos, yours truly.

I saw that during my visit to Los Angeles last month. I believe that may be a temporary structure set up to protect restoration work on an old mural that was painted on the side of that taller building there. The mural was talked about here briefly a while back, but I don't recall exactly when or any of the details. Anyway, hopefully, when the restoration is completed, that horribly out-of-context structure will be removed.

-Scott

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 11:22 PM

This is the mural on the rooftop at Olvera Street.

http://blog.theautry.org/2010/06/29/...le-connection/

A 80 foot long mural by David Alfara Siqueiros, covered up since the 1930s.

Anglo promoters expected a work called 'America Tropical' to show a romantic Mexican village. What they got was a crucified peasant
in a protest against American imperialism.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 11:29 PM

Last edited by so-cal-bear; Aug 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
Nope, Los Angeles Past. someone we both know very well that works for the City of L.A. was working on a project relating to the America Tropical mural there on the side of the Italian Hall building last year. The shade/tent/louvres is a permanent structure. I noticed it when we went to pick up our friends 2 months ago from Union Station from Albuquerque. You know who they are and thought myself that it looked like a temporary structure. Its not. I guess life evolves.

http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/ww...ing_a_whitewas

Interesting. Seems kind of self-defeating, though, to erect a structure to ostensibly protect the mural that also has the effect of obscuring it from view. And the modernist design looks horribly out-of-place (and time). Gahhh. Wouldn't a simple awning have sufficed?

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Aug 14, 2012 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Interesting. Seems kind of self-defeating, though, to erect a structure to ostensibly protect the mural that also has the effect of obscuring it from view. And the modernist design looks horribly out-of-place (and time). Gahhh.
Well it was never really viewable from the ground anyway. There will be a viewing platform from which to see the mural at eye level. To further protect it, the mural will also not be exposed all the time - it has a cover which contains a digitally-printed image of the mural. The mural itself is being left as a ghost image so the reproduction on the cover will actually be a truer representation of what it originally looked like. They've done what conservation/restoration they could, but the whitewash faded it badly.

http://www.getty.edu/conservation/ou...ros/index.html

I think it bears remembering that Olvera Street itself was a contrivance, an alley that got turned into a tourist trap. It has some wonderful old buildings but they have been repurposed and changed throughout their existence. They don't line up with each other because you're looking at their backsides, and they are largely obscured by 85 hojillion vendor stalls. The whole thing was out of place and time even when it was 'new' in the early 1930s. A big cover and some shades over what was once an industrial shop and storage space doesn't really seem like a violation to me.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:15 PM

Chili dogs and rapid transit

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:31 PM

Water, water everywhere

the california at san pedro, ca. 1920

She's pretty much brand new in this shot.
LAPL

single sculls, olympics, los angeles, 1932

LAPL

wilshire boulevard causeway, 1934

Grand opening of the Wilshire Boulevard causeway through Westlake (now MacArthur) Park, 1934
USCdigital archive

girl's dare club, venice beach, 1934

The Girls’ Dare Club at Venice Beach, on March 18, 1934. Girls who take dares? Seems like an important thing.
Los Angeles Times.

wahine1938

Bathing beauty contestants, National Surfing and Paddleboard Championships, Long Beach (Calif), Nov-Dec, 1938. Los Angeles Times

LATimes1938

joe kenley, 1930

Joseph A. Kenley, water salesman on January 7, 1930. The Arrowhead WaterCompany is a well established business in the Los Angeles community that began before the turn of the century.
LAPL

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:41 PM

ivy station, los angeles, 1905

At the current location of the Culver City station of Los Angeles Metro's Exposition light rail line, this is a westbound view of "Ivy Station" in Culver City, California circa 1905. Located near the corner of Venice and Robertson Boulevards, the station was later renamed Culver Junction with the addition of a line down Venice Blvd in the late (19)00's and eventually closed in 1953.

image via Metro Transportation Library and Archive

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:08 PM

JuliusShulman, 1936

Looking over Griffith Observatory and Los Angeles from Mount Hollywood, 1936. Craig Krull Gallery/Getty Images.

julius shulman, 1955

Mobil Gas Station by Smith and Williams, Anaheim, CA. Photograph by Julius Shulman, 1955. © J. Paul Getty Trust.

Anaheim-Mobil-1956-julius-shulman

julius shulman, 1952

Tiny Naylors drive-in restaurant by Douglas Honnold, Hollywood, CA. Photograph by Julius Shulman, 1952. J. Paul Getty Trust.

Julius-Shulman-and-Los-Angeles

Cover art for Julius Shulman, Los Angeles: The Birth of a Modern Metropolis by Sam Lubell and Douglas Woods (Rizzoli New York, 2011) from a print by Julius Shulman

JuliusShulman, 1965

Interior view, Department of Water and Power headquarters, A.C. Martin & Associates, Los Angeles, 1965. J Paul Getty Trust.

starlite roof, julius shulman, los angeles times

Julius Shulman - Bradbury Building, Los Angeles, CA 1969. Architect: George H. Wyman.

academy theater, inglewood, julius shulman

Coffee Dan's, Wilshire Boulevard, Julius Shulman, 1948

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

At the current location of the Culver City station of Los Angeles Metro's Exposition light rail line, this is a westbound view of "Ivy Station" in Culver City, California circa 1905. Located near the corner of Venice and Robertson Boulevards, the station was later renamed Culver Junction with the addition of a line down Venice Blvd in the late (19)00's and eventually closed in 1953.

image via Metro Transportation Library and Archive
PE would subsequently build a traction power substation on or near that spot, which still stands today

http://goo.gl/maps/hwNfr

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A 80 foot long mural by David Alfara Siqueiros, covered up since the 1930s.

Anglo promoters expected a work called 'America Tropical' to show a romantic Mexican village. What they got was a crucified peasant
in a protest against American imperialism.

__
I won't debate the merit of the mural. At this point it's now part of Pueblo History.
...but that structure is a travesty and an eyesore. Totally out of step and character for Olvera St.
What were they thinking? Doesn't this come under the purview of the Los Angeles Plaza Historic District? Aren't they the custodians?
There must have been a debate over this. A little Google research might yield some results.

ETA
Quote:
City of Los Angeles and Getty officials unveiled yesterday plans for a $9 million visitor center for a long-hidden, historic mural in downtown L.A.’s Olvera Street.
http://www.scpr.org/news/2010/04/01/...queiros-mural/

Just Googling around everybody seems to think this a cool thing. It's all about the mural and it's preservation but nothing about preserving the character of the historic district.
I would imagine Christine Sterling is turning in her grave.

"Los Angeles civic leaders break ground on an interpretive center for a David Alfaro Siqueiros mural on Olvera Street in downtown L.A., Sep. 8, 2010."

http://www.scpr.org/news/2010/09/08/19068/mural-x-wrap/

Last edited by fhammon; Aug 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:

I think this may be the 'now' view. (Note the paved-over path of the old tracks in foreground.)

http://goo.gl/maps/WK2JX

Turn around 180 degrees, and there's the Metro Exposition line viaduct.

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Aug 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:

the california at san pedro, ca. 1920

She's pretty much brand new in this shot.
LAPL
Quote:
USS California (BB-44), a Tennessee-class battleship, was the fifth ship of the United States Navy named in honor of the 31st state.[3] Beginning as the flagship of the Pacific Fleet, she served in the Pacific her entire career. She was sunk in the attack on Pearl Harbor at her moorings in Battleship Row, but was salvaged and reconstructed. She served again for the remainder of World War II before being decommissioned as obsolete in 1947.
...Her keel was laid down on 25 October 1916 by the Mare Island Naval Shipyard at Vallejo, California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_California_%28BB-44%29

Here she is rebuilt and sporting a razzle-dazzle camouflage paint job.

Last edited by fhammon; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos