HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 9:39 PM

L.A. Hospitality Service at Clifton's South Seas.

postcard ebay

Has anyone heard of this hospitality service before?
On the tickets board above the counter I recognized 'Queen for a Day' as the famous radio program but drew a blank on 'Police Show'.

below: I found this 1948 Transit Pass, but I am unsure if it's the same 'Police Show' as on the postcard image (the postcard lacks a date).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danagraves/5582485773/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Just saw this today, Streetcars may be revived in Downtown:

http://www.ocregister.com/news/city-...wn-huizar.html

you know it would be nice if they could have some vintage cars that ran on special events,i know san francisco has some old pcc cars that run,a couple of them are former larwy cars,ive always wondered why hasnt someone put a restored red car on one of the new lines like gold line or green line.but im glad this is getting pushed through.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:04 AM

Looking east on Hollywood Boulevard at Vine Street circa 1952.

The photographer seems to be perched on a wooden framework that overhangs the sidewalk on the southwest corner of Hollywood and Vine. For the life of me I can't figure out what this makeshift structure is....a renovation perhaps?

Especially baffling is the small 'vent' protruding through the framework. This makes no sense to me.

ebay

below: Info on the reverse side.

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:36 AM

It looks like the fabric awning were removed in the early 50s. But that structure makes no sense

Playle's California

Era Correct

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Looking east on Hollywood Boulevard at Vine Street circa 1952.

The photographer seems to be perched on a wooden 'awning' that overhangs the sidewalk on the southwest corner of Hollywood and Vine. For the life of me I can't figure out what this makeshift structure is....a renovation perhaps?

Especially baffling is the small 'vent' protruding through this wooden 'awning' like structure. This makes no sense to me.

ebay

below: Info on the reverse side.

___
The structure was the canopy over the entrance to the Broadway Department Store. There was another on the Vine Street side of the building. It had lights underneath, and the vent was probably there to let the heat from the incandescent bulbs escape. There was probably a second vent closer to the camera's position. The canopy was not temporary, but was there in the 1920s when the store was the B. H. Dyas Company. I think it was removed in a remodeling of the facade in the early 1950s.

Another interesting thing to be seen in this photo is the marquee of the Paris Theatre down the block, across the street from the Pantages. The Paris only lasted a few years. It had previously been an all-western movie theater called the Hitching Post. The theater was gone by the end of the 1950s.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
you know it would be nice if they could have some vintage cars that ran on special events...
I agree with you, but it looks like that won't happen. From the linked article:

"...boosters are quick to point out that the new cars would be thoroughly modern, sleek and environmentally sound..."

In other words, the new cars will have a bland, perfunctory design with no style or aesthetic sensibility whatsoever.

San Francisco spent a small fortune buying up those gorgeous 1940s streetcars and restoring them to their former glory before returning them to service. Worth every penny, if you ask me.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Vogel View Post
The structure was the canopy over the entrance to the Broadway Department Store. There was another on the Vine Street side of the building. It had lights underneath, and the vent was probably there to let the heat from the incandescent bulbs escape. There was probably a second vent closer to the camera's position. The canopy was not temporary, but was there in the 1920s when the store was the B. H. Dyas Company. I think it was removed in a remodeling of the facade in the early 1950s.
You're absolutely correct Joe Vogel!

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...chs-m3224.html

below: The canopies can be seen in this earlier photograph when it was
the B.H. Dyas Store.

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=74887

below: Here's a great view looking west toward Hollywood & Vine in 1934. If you look closely you can see one of the canopies over the Hollywood Blvd. entrance (southwest corner of the intersection).

http://la.remap.ucla.edu/remappingla...g2_itemId=6772

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
You can call me David

Janes House, 6541 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood

On an errand to Hollywood this afternoon I parked at Hollywood Blvd. and Schrader to have a look at "Janes House", described by Wikipedia as "Queen Anne/Dutch Colonial Revival cottage built in 1903". Apparently it was was home to a restaurant/club in past years, but that venue closed a while back and the building is now unoccupied / unused.

The www.hollywoodheritage.org site says:

Located at 6541 Hollywood Boulevard, the house is survivor of the era when Hollywood was an actual city. Built in 1903 the house was one of the first model houses built on the Boulevard. From 1911 to 1926 it served as the Misses Janes School of Hollywood. The last Janes sister died in 1983, and the house has gone through several incarnations from the centerpiece of a shopping arcade to a trendy restaurant. Today the house is unoccupied and obscured from view, with its future uncertain. Recent plans involve an upscale boutique hotel and there are reports of unauthorized work taking place at the house, which could potentially damage historic interior features.

This is one of those curious old buildings that one could pass by a hundred times, with no idea of history within its walls. From the street you can barely see it at all.

Right now there's a large tarp in front and I couldn't get a photo of the whole building, but here are a few shots that give a good idea what it looks like today. The last photo was taken from the rear parking lot, which is near Yucca St.

Last edited by 3940dxer; Apr 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:35 PM

Cars in Pools

Quote:
Welcome to the thread Mike! I love that Calvery Cemetery story.

File this under drunk driver:

A submerged car in Beverly Hills pool (1961).

http://www.glamoursplash.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

I've noticed that cars seem to have an affinity for swimming pools around here.

This guy was also arrested for drunken driving (no surprise there).

Los Angeles Times

A plunge off Mulholland Drive resulted in this. Not good.

LAPL

O.K. Why not try it with a plane.

Los Angeles Times

Hey, put a shirt on guy!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
I had a hard time placing this very interesting house on Hollywood Boulevard so I did some googling.

I found out the Janes House was moved to the back of the lot in 1983 and the Janes Square Landmark Shopping Center
was built out to the street (Hollywood Blvd).

google street view

below: I marked the Janes House in red on this 1907 Sanborn Map.

http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.c...nes-house.html

Prospect Avenue became Hollywood Boulevard, Rose is now Yucca and Chester Court is now Hudson Ave.

google street view

http://walknridela.com/roaming-the-r...llo-hollywood/

Great photographs of the Janes House David. I didn't even know this house existed before your post.

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 11, 2012 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:21 AM

I was hoping someone here might recognize one of these homes or perhaps locate the area by using the shape of the hills.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1334100985470

USC has labeled this "Several residences west of Prospect Avenue, Hollywood".

Prospect Avenue became Hollywood Blvd. which runs east & west, so I'm thinking the caption should have been "Several residences north of Prospect Avenue, Hollywood". There was no date given.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:13 AM
You can call me David

From Gregory Paul Williams' The Story of Hollywood:

"in 1902, the Janes house appeared on Prospect Avenue as a model home in the Whitley tract. With the same architect as the Whitley tract house now known as The Magic Castle, the Janses' Queen Anne Victorian cottage boasted hardwood floors, stained glass windows, large front and back yards, and the most modern of kitchens.

The Janes family bought the three-bedroom house in 1904 after arriving by train from Aurora, Illinois, where their father, Herman, had retired from the furniture business. Three sisters and a brother, Carrie, Mary Grace, Mabel, and Donald, came with their parents.

The Janes sisters, after inheriting the house from their parents, lived there to old ages. Originally, their nearest neighbor was a block away. By the time the last Janes died (Carrie in 1982) the house stood in the middle of a very seedy Hollywood Boulevard."

(From another chapter) "After Mary Grace's husband Ernest died in 1964, the Janes sisters rarely left their kitchen. Carrie slept in a window seat. Mary Grace made a bed above some cabinets while Mabel slept in a padded chair. In 1967, the Hollywood Chamber Of Commerce tried to get them to move again, insisting that their land was worth $500,000. The sisters kept the door bolted and refused to answer. Mary Grace told a reporter, 'Mr. Whitley built this house, and he told us it was the best house he'd ever built. There's nothing wrong with it.'"

(From another chapter) "Vacant since the last sister, Carrie, died in 1986, the house's new owner wanted it demolished for a mini-mall. Using CRA incentives, Hollywood Heritage worked to spare the house. In 1987, the structure was pushed back on the lot and restored as a visitor's center. A poorly executed, Janes-house-themed mall rose in front of it."

From the L.A. Times, September 15 1985:

http://www.latimes.com/

Last edited by 3940dxer; Apr 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:13 AM

Interesting details David/3940dxer....love the newspaper clippings.

____

A rickety looking ski jump towering over the Los Angeles Coliseum in January 1939.

found on ebay

reverse side of photo

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:33 AM

I thought this program was for the above ski event, but this event was a year earlier on February 27, 1938.

http://www.skilibrary.com/timeline2.html

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:43 AM

OK, I just located the program for the 1939 event.

http://www.skilibrary.com/timeline2.html

I much prefer the earlier program.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:16 AM

General Post to the members of Noirish Los Angeles. I have been "lurking" here for the last month or so. Not sure how I stumbled on your page but it had something to do with my 17th annual field trip leading 6th graders on a walking tour of downtown Los Angeles. One of my friends on Facebook said his dad used to work at the Hall of Records in L.A. so I did a little research on the old Hall of Records and the New Hall of Records. Probably how I ended up here. My point is, I have been HOOKED ever since on your pages. I started out on page 1 on Feb 24 and now it is April 10 and I am only on page 140. I spend an hour each night poring over your pages and reading the comments, familiarizing myself with the locations of the old buildings and so on. I love the "then and now" photos. I have lived in the L.A. area since 1963 as a 7th grader and recall very few trips downtown during those early years. I remember seeing the Occidental Building as a high rise south of downtown and actually sang on stage at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in 1969. I remember looking down the Civic Center Mall from the Music Center and see the Old Hall Of Records building (vaguely) and some man was telling me it was going to be removed soon to make the mall clear.
OK, so after seeing all these pictures of the Historic Core and the old Plaza area, I decided it was finally time to take myself on a sight seeing tour of some of these old neighborhoods and see how it looks today. I did that yesterday and have a ton of pictures to share with you guys IF you're interested. Mind you, the last 17 years of taking kids on tours, I mainly stayed in the Civic Center and Music Center and New Bunker Hill area, ending up at Westin Bonaventure Hotel, the Central Library, then a subway trip on the Red Line back to Union Station and the Metrolink back to Orange. I wanted to break free of that I go where I wanted so I did.
Anyway, Thanks again for ALL the OLD file photos you guys have dug up and posted. I am very grateful and hope to contribute lots more in the months ahead.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:22 AM

Quote:
I was hoping someone here might recognize one of these homes or perhaps locate the area by using the shape of the hills.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1334100985470

USC has labeled this "Several residences west of Prospect Avenue, Hollywood".

Prospect Avenue became Hollywood Blvd. which runs east & west, so I'm thinking the caption should have been "Several residences north of Prospect Avenue, Hollywood". There was no date given.
L.A. library has a 1905 photo looking northeast from Hollywood Boulevard at Cherokee, and I'm pretty sure the hillside houses in your photo are in the distance right of center: jpg1.lapl.org/pics39/00039371.jpg It's hard to tell just how far away they are, though. Could it be Whitley Heights, or are they east of Cahuenga Pass?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Probably because it was cheaper than filming in Italy and this scene may have been a last-minute addition to the script. It comes after the climactic battle and in the scene, Crassus (Olivier) is telling Batiatus (Ustinov) that there will be no survivors to sell as slaves. I'll have to go look at my DVD of the movie again to see who well they cut the freeway out of the frame.
So I went back and watched "Spartacus" again. They shot this particular scene almost entirely in near-close-up (obviously to avoid even the suggestion that the 101 was a few hundred feet away). I haven't watched it that closely in years, but I was surprised at how many of the exteriors were shot around L.A. The "forum" scene was shot on the Universal back lot and I believe that some of the structures are still there (with different facades). I recognized (I think), parts of the Valley and the Angeles National Forest as well. And here all this time I thought they'd made the movie in Italy.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:30 AM

Welcome to the thread alanlutz! We would love to see your photos.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Vogel View Post
Another interesting thing to be seen in this photo is the marquee of the Paris Theatre down the block, across the street from the Pantages. The Paris only lasted a few years. It had previously been an all-western movie theater called the Hitching Post. The theater was gone by the end of the 1950s.

I finally found a photo of the Hitching Post Theater. I've never heard of an all-western theater until your post Joe Vogel.

postcard/ebay

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 11, 2012 at 5:56 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos