HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 7:35 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I know I have seen one of these - thinking it may have been at PetSmart.
Thanks. Alas no PetSmarts are within my travel radius, but I'll note the information should we ever rent a car again. If anyone spots any in the downtown area, please let me know :-)

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 7:44 PM
Closed account

There's a Ryan's pet store in the Fortino's plaza on Dundurn.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Thanks. Alas no PetSmarts are within my travel radius, but I'll note the information should we ever rent a car again. If anyone spots any in the downtown area, please let me know :-)
There is a Delaware route that actually gets up to the Ancaster Meadowlands site, but be sure to pack a lunch and bring your hiking shoes if you decide to go. Very long ride and PetSmart is some distance from the bus stop.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:07 PM

There's a pet store in the strip mall at James and Wilson and also one of those expensive dog boutiques at James and Bold (near the train station).

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:16 PM

I usually go to Ruffins on Main one block east of Wentworth (Sanford?). I don't recall seeing this kind of roller there, but they are good for making special orders, so keep that in mind if you don't find it elsewhere.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hammer'd

If you're in the Northeast end, there's a pet store in the strip mall at Strathearne/Barton.

Also a crappy one that's always packed with gawking kids at Limeridge. Kinda a PJ's Pets deal, more of an attraction than a store. I'd avoid it like the plague but figured to mention it anyway. On the topic, I miss PJ's Pet Stores in Toronto
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:44 AM
Needs more coffee...

While we're on the topic, go into Bark & Fitz in Dundas for an experience at the opposite end of the spectrum. Those dogs eat better food than I do...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 5:54 PM
Needs more coffee...

My husband's looking for knitting or crocheting supplies near downtown - somewhere that sells yarn and needles or hooks. We could just go to Ottawa Street but right now he's working a lot and doesn't want to make a trip over there. (I've never knit or crocheted anything in my life, so I have no idea).

Any ideas?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 8:19 PM
Closed account

Saw some lovely wools at the Maker's Market today, but didn't notice if they have needles, etc.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 8:48 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

okay. I needed to buy a new tv. I live in Barton Village. I wanted to buy one from a store in HCC. The electronics store, bottom floor by the foodcourt. But here's the problem. How do I cart the damn thing from down there to my car parked on Vine? This is what totally sucks. I ended up going to the Meadowlands Mess. The Best Buy, then they told me to pull up front and they loaded it into my car. What if I had to take a bus?

Now I know why big ticket items aren't for sale downtown. I can buy herbal organic fair trade green coffee, but I can't buy a tv.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 1:31 AM
Needs more coffee...

It's definitely not as convenient... Was parking on James not an option (too crowded/bad time of day)? Or having someone pull the car around? It may not be absolutely convenient, but there's tons of ways to park close enough that someone will help get a TV to the car - but yes, it does require a bit more forethought and planning, and perhaps a second person to pull the car around.

And because of that, most people will go elsewhere, as you did, to buy those heavy/large items.

Then again, in a great deal of downtown settings, the places that sell those things have delivery options as well - I'm guessing this store likely didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Saw some lovely wools at the Maker's Market today, but didn't notice if they have needles, etc.
yeah, i thought of that too, but we got back from work too late to get there this week. Working Saturdays really screws with the good stuff.

I don't think there's really a good fabric/yarn/knitting etc. store in the core at all, unless i'm mistaken. i spent about twenty minutes looking and couldn't find a thing. I wonder if someone could make a go of placing a store of this type more centrally.

(He ended up getting some cheap needles and yarn to do some practice pieces from the dollar store (he hasn't knit in years and wants to start again) but i think he'll have to make the trip at some point.)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
okay. I needed to buy a new tv. I live in Barton Village. I wanted to buy one from a store in HCC. The electronics store, bottom floor by the foodcourt. But here's the problem. How do I cart the damn thing from down there to my car parked on Vine? This is what totally sucks. I ended up going to the Meadowlands Mess. The Best Buy, then they told me to pull up front and they loaded it into my car. What if I had to take a bus?

Now I know why big ticket items aren't for sale downtown. I can buy herbal organic fair trade green coffee, but I can't buy a tv.
EHR? Not downtown, but local and still lower city.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:48 PM

EHR. never thought of that. I'm basically just SW of Hendry's Shoes, so EHR is close ish. JS is closer tho. I'm a recent mtn transplant and I went to the first place that came to mind. I did however buy my living room and kicthen furniture from a store in HCC and I guess being furniture they knew they need delivery service.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:52 PM

What and where is EHR?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 3:02 PM

East Hamilton Radio. Kenilworth and Barton streets. Beside the Centre Mall massacre.

http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
EHR. never thought of that. I'm basically just SW of Hendry's Shoes, so EHR is close ish. JS is closer tho. I'm a recent mtn transplant and I went to the first place that came to mind. I did however buy my living room and kicthen furniture from a store in HCC and I guess being furniture they knew they need delivery service.
I know you are still getting used to the spatial area of the lower city. But, here are the distances from Hendrys on Google Maps. I understand there will be subtle differences.

Driving
Hendrys to EHR - 2.7km
Hendrys of JSS - 3.4km

Walking
Hendrys to EHR - 2.7km
Hendrys to JSS - 3.2km or 3.3km

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:04 AM

thanks for the info
interesting
im about 200m sw of Hendrys that puts me almost middle point. I am getting used to lower city and finding everything is so close. 8 minutes to work, door to door.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 2:07 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Emge, everything you need is on Ottawa St I'm sure. I'll have a look next time I'm there, though that might not be for a while.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 9:24 PM
Needs more coffee...

It's ok I know Ottawa Street has everything, but I was hoping for something reasonably within my normal Main/Victoria to King/Locke walk to or from work.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion