HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 12:07 AM
Wiki Ricki

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
A few weeks back Nicole at the Spectator's hallmarks blog decided to talk about the H-Magazine and because up until that time I had been living on the mountain for four years I had never really heard of or seen this H-Magazine so I posted on Nicole's blog and asked her, "H-Magazine, what's that???" ..well I guess the editor of H-Magazine when he read that post of mine on Nicole's blog he may jumped the gun a bit and misunderstood it as a cheap shot against his H-Magazine and quickly followed that up with an e-mail to me where he basically told me that "if I have anything against his H-Magazine to say it straight up" and to "BRING IT!"...well, you know what they say about first impressions Helen, to me that came across as someone who was very insecure....I think that if he had to do it all over again and if I were in his shoes, I would have used that as an opportunity to better introduce myself and the Magazine and possibly even suggest submitting an idea for an article in his publication....but that's just me....

I just think that if you are going to be an editor of something as big as the New York Times or something as tiny as H-Magazine, I don't care how big or small your publication is, I think it's vital that as an edtor you do your best to conduct and present yourself in a professional manner.

RC

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 12:41 AM
Closed account

Hey Rick - sorry you feel that way.

Misunderstandings do happen...the internet is a wacky place and message boards and email convos get lost in translation.

Email me personally next time or talk to me in real life. I think you've made your point - keep reading and hopefully you find something to like about our magazine in the future.

Positively improving is our motto!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtown_Hamilton View Post
Even though I don't always agree with what they have to say over at Raisethehammer I respect the fact that at least they advertise who the author(s) of their articles are. With this Bay Observer, just like with the CATCH web site, you never really know who is doing the talking over there because they never credit their writers. In addition to that I e-mailed them more than two days ago and never got a response back so that's already one big strike against the Bay Observer from me.
Friday isn't the best day to expect a response to anything.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 5:01 AM
Wiki Ricki

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmagazine View Post
Hey Rick - sorry you feel that way.

Misunderstandings do happen...the internet is a wacky place and message boards and email convos get lost in translation.

Email me personally next time or talk to me in real life. I think you've made your point - keep reading and hopefully you find something to like about our magazine in the future.

Positively improving is our motto!
Hi David,

Nice motto! I like it...maybe you guys should add it somewhere on the cover this way people reading it will remember it and the ones working on it won't forget it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 5:11 PM
Closed account

This motto we tattoo on our foreheads.

Keep reading!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 5:33 PM
Closed account

I still haven't seen this new rag yet, although I don't really care.
still, you'd think that a new rag would be pounding the pavement trying to draw new readers.
Maybe I should go hang out at the meadowlands.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 6:09 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I still haven't seen this new rag yet, although I don't really care.
still, you'd think that a new rag would be pounding the pavement trying to draw new readers.
Maybe I should go hang out at the meadowlands.
while you're there, can you drop by linens and things and get me something completely useless and overpriced? thanks.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 11:26 AM
Closed account

haha....nice.
i heard on CBC yesterday that they filed for bankruptcy protection. such a shame. Lol.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 11:35 AM
It's Hammer Time

I heard Peggy Chapman is involved with this newspaper as well.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
haha....nice.
i heard on CBC yesterday that they filed for bankruptcy protection. such a shame. Lol.
Already? Wow.

They shouldn't have gone into print. Our "third choice" for print media isn't into print at all, they're all new media. It even has a guy making news reports and posting them on the site via YouTube. That's the way they should have gone.

Example of what Bay Observer should have done: http://netnewsledger.com/index.php?o...=1541&Itemid=2

(Though when you think about it, those news reports probably aren't free. Would they be able to afford it?)

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Already? Wow.

They shouldn't have gone into print. Our "third choice" for print media isn't into print at all, they're all new media. It even has a guy making news reports and posting them on the site via YouTube. That's the way they should have gone.

I think he was talking about Linens & Things going bankrupt.

They did in the US and are closing all stores, Canadian operations not affected. Though I would expect them to be purchased by someone now they are orphaned.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 1:26 PM
Closed account

info on where to buy the Bay Observer:

http://bayobserver.ca/index.php?post_id=41

Notice the lack of central Hamilton stores?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
Closed account

so I found one of these yesterday. I was quite impressed. Good stories, nice layout.
It's a good read.
And apparently they are adding more central city stores to the roster which is good.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion