HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 4:00 PM

Atlanta: Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center

New venue in Cobb County near Vinings and NW Atlanta;

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 4:35 PM
Reliable Source

Nice work.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 5:40 PM
Urban Explorer

I was given a tour of the inside of the building about a month ago, and I was very impressed. They did a great job with the performance space.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 7:06 PM

Beautiful building, and very prominent to anyone passing by on I-75. Cobb should be proud to have this facility!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 10:28 PM

Cobb looks like a chunk of Kansas City PAC laying on it's side...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 1:25 AM

It certainly is beautiful!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 5:05 AM

I prefer this to Calatrava's now doomed 14th Street Beetle. It's not a "post card" for Cobb County, but it has something that Calatrava doesn't understand fully: grace.

He often substitutes "slickness" for "grace".

Old Posted Jul 7, 2007, 4:20 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
I prefer this to Calatrava's now doomed 14th Street Beetle. It's not a "post card" for Cobb County, but it has something that Calatrava doesn't understand fully: grace.

He often substitutes "slickness" for "grace".
I tend to like the unique look that his designs are known for...that is, until I looked around on Calatrava's website a few months ago and found a similar "swan" performance hall that looked disturbingly similar to the proposed design for Atlanta - the Tenerife Opera House in Spain. Side by side they are obviously different, but the shape is the same and it's really crazy to see that such an outstanding and creative design will be used again...and I really don't want a hand-me-down design with a $300 million price tag!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 12:14 AM

Great shots, Joe! I'm really happy with how this turned out.

Hopefully these new ped-friendly, retail/restaurant heavy, good street level developments bordering the property that I keep hearing about will deliver as well.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 5:01 AM

will give the galleria area a boost for sure.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 12:54 PM

Beautiful! A wonderful addition to the Galleria area and to Atlanta as a whole.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 4:38 PM

I think it's very pretty, but a bit tame.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 6:14 PM

Does anyone know when the proposed hotel and condo towers they announced sometime ago are going to begin construction?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 4:41 PM

Continuity would result from mixed-use project

Marietta Daily Journal Staff Writer

SOUTH COBB - Seamless transition could be the highlight of a mixed-use development proposed directly south of the immaculate Cobb Energy Performing Performing Arts Centre in Cobb's platinum triangle at the intersection of Interstates 75 and 285.

Atlanta-based architectural firm Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart and Associates, the firm that designed the performing arts center and the Cobb Galleria Center, will now design the approximately $150 million, 655,000-square-foot Grove Street Partners development.

"That whole area is in somewhat of a transition, and with the hotel that's proposed and the residential component that's proposed, people actually will be able to live near the performing arts center," architectural firm Principal Bill Reynolds said. "It truly is a mixed-use project that has a lot of synergy because of its proximity to each other."

On Tuesday, Cobb Commissioners will hear the application from Cumberland Boulevard-based developers, who already received what amounts to encomiums from comprehensive reviews by the Atlanta Regional Commission, the Georgia Regional Transportation Authority and Cobb planning commissioners.

"It'll correspond with what's there already," Grove Street partner Chip Groome said. "We're just excited about it and hoping we can pull it all together."

Grove Street is requesting rezoning on the 5.11-acre tract from office-institutional and general commercial to regional retail commercial to develop a mixed-use community with a high-rise hotel, an office building, retail restaurants and residential condominiums.

The five-building development would be on the east side of Cobb Galleria Parkway, north of Cumberland Boulevard and west of Interstate 75.

The hotel will be 22 stories high with 250 rooms and 50 residential condominium units on its top floors, and also will feature a ballroom.

Condominiums would be a minimum 1,200 square-feet priced from $500,000.

The 400,000-square-feet office building would be 16 stories tall.

Following construction, which Groome said might begin in about a year and last up to two-and-a-half years, Grove Street also will relocate to the office building.

"This would be a building that we would develop and own," Groome said. "It's always great to be in your own project."

An underground parking deck would have 840 parking spaces leased to the Georgia Regional Transportation Authority for a future transit station along I-75.

Renderings from the firm reveal what southeast Cobb Planning Commissioner Bob Ott refers to as a pedestrian-friendly "European-type plaza" nestled between buildings.

"I think its real exciting to be able to do this close on the heels of opening the performing arts center," Reynolds added. "It really will become a destination for a lot of people."

The Cumberland-Galleria/Vinings area is far too often overlooked for similar projects announced in the Perimeter area. This will certainly compliment the new Center and spearhead even more development.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 4:41 AM

it definitely dates the era of architecture it's from, without being something that's going to be defining enough to not get torn down when it goes out of style in a few decades... not saying that i don't like it, but i'm glad they didn't build it in the city, and i personally appreciate the current woodruff center over it.

it also kinda looks like the whipped cream on top of yer $4 starbucks frappucino...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
it definitely dates the era of architecture it's from, without being something that's going to be defining enough to not get torn down when it goes out of style in a few decades... not saying that i don't like it, but i'm glad they didn't build it in the city, and i personally appreciate the current woodruff center over it.

it also kinda looks like the whipped cream on top of yer $4 starbucks frappucino...
yup. i was thinking of cool whip center.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 5:48 AM
Man of Many Statistics

No retail. Hmm, I guess it wont be "livable."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
No retail. Hmm, I guess it wont be "livable."
is that in response to somebody else or just a generally sarcastic statement?

-----

cool whip center... now why didn't i think of that!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta