HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 11:58 PM

Found this fascinating. While DTLA may have had a slower initial recovery from the pre to post pandemic, year over year (2023 to 2024) the percent change in visits is the strongest of any downtown in the entire country. Very promising.

https://downtownrecovery.com/charts/trends

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Found this fascinating. While DTLA may have had a slower initial recovery from the pre to post pandemic, year over year (2023 to 2024) the percent change in visits is the strongest of any downtown in the entire country. Very promising.

https://downtownrecovery.com/charts/trends
Technically, that’s great news!

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 12:36 AM

That is great news.

I was downtown overnight about three weeks ago, and it was lively well into the night even on a weeknight.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
That is great news.

I was downtown overnight about three weeks ago, and it was lively well into the night even on a weeknight.
Sooooo true. It’s definitely more vibrant overall pre-Covid. Just not the financial district.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 11:43 PM

Quote:

travelandtourworld.com

The Los Angeles Athletic Club (LAAC), a cornerstone of health, wellness, and social connection in Downtown Los Angeles, is thrilled to reveal its multimillion-dollar renovation project, enhancing the member experience with unprecedented updates. This extensive upgrade includes the introduction of a state-of-the-art 7th-floor fitness facility and the debut of the Famous Players cafe and restaurant.

Preserving the club’s heritage, the property meticulously restored the historic skylights and plaster over the basketball courts and pool. Careful consideration was given to minimize noise pollution from adjacent fitness areas, with a thoughtfully designed Audio-Visual system featuring multiple audio zones. Six new televisions adorn the walls, enhancing the space’s refreshed aesthetic, which blends concrete and steel elements with warm finishings and vibrant lighting.

The redesigned interior pays homage to LAAC’s heritage while incorporating modern elements. Custom banquette seating, ornamental ceilings, and curated historic portraits adorn the space, maintaining the original tile flooring and millwork. Earth tones, leather, wood, marble, mixed metals, and deep blue accents create a warm and inviting atmosphere.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 6:12 AM

Yeah, my buddies (and former forumers) stayed at the Athletic Club about three weeks ago when they were in town. They liked it.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:53 PM

Great to see that renovation. Not a DTLA topic, but same developer/owner (Stockdale) also did the Aster in Hollywood which is a similar concept of club & hotel, and it turned out great. Hopefully they both do well.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 5:05 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Issues

Has anyone else been experiencing issues with accessing this thread?

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
If I'm not logged in, yes. But once I log in the problem goes away.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
Yes, and every other thread on the forum. Like SoCalKid mentioned, you have to log in to view any threads now. Idk whats going on but I hope they fix it because sometimes I'm not in a secure location to log in

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 7:55 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
If I'm not logged in, yes. But once I log in the problem goes away.
The problem only goes away if I log in while on "Incognito" otherwise I get an "HTTP ERROR 500". Definitely needs to be fixed.

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:11 PM

February 2023, over a yr ago....

Quote:

urbanizela.com

A half-year after rolling out plans to redevelop a sprawling industrial complex in the Arts District with a movie studio, East End Capital is beginning the daunting process of navigating the California Environmental Quality Act.

An initial study released this month by the L.A. Planning Department sheds new line on plans for East End Studios ADLA, the company's proposed project at the intersection of 6th and Alameda Streets. Plans for the 15-acre site involve razing two produce warehouse buildings and an attached surface parking lot, clearing the way for the construction of a new project featuring:

film & tv production in LA is now slowest in 45 yrs....1/3rd lost in past 5 yrs....so will projs on mainly east side of dtla, around the arts dist, dependent on the entertainment industry be affected?

https://youtu.be/43X4AaWwL6s?si=TM1mMvEv4x0O4JXu

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
February 2023, over a yr ago....

film & tv production in LA is now slowest in 45 yrs....1/3rd lost in past 5 yrs....so will projs on mainly east side of dtla, around the arts dist, dependent on the entertainment industry be affected?

https://youtu.be/43X4AaWwL6s?si=TM1mMvEv4x0O4JXu
Most industry experts have confidence of demand picking back up in the medium term. The strikes really did a number on the studio business in LA, and it doesn't just turn back on after they end. Plus, we're in a period of relative austerity for the studios as they try to prove that streaming platforms can become profitable sooner rather than later. I think we're just in a bad moment for studio use that will pass. We likely will never return to the insane demand of the streaming war years, but that's not necessary for new studio development to make sense.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:12 PM

Yea, and the new studio in East Hollywood wouldnt be going forward if they felt it was long term problems.
Its just a weird phase.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 3:46 AM

Quote:

Facebook/ICA LA

ERAS

In a statement of its commitment to artists and to downtown, the Institute of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles is planning to buy the East Seventh Street building it occupies and improve it with a cafe, outdoor space and studios for a new artists-in-residence program. Since the institution moved from the west side — where it was called the Santa Monica Museum of Art — and rebranded itself with a new name in the downtown Arts District in 2017, Ellegood said, its location has become integral to its identity. “It’s literally a neighborhood named for artists, which is increasingly a neighborhood where artists are not present and can’t afford to be here,” she said. “How can we find ways to bring them back in?” she added. “In Los Angeles, studio spaces are becoming less affordable.”

The building’s $5 million purchase price has been largely covered by a $4.4 million naming gift from the Mohn Family Trust, to be announced on Saturday at the museum’s spring benefit. (The building will be called the Mohn Family Building.)

Founded in 1988, the institute has established a loyal following as a place to see emerging and unrecognized artists. The museum was in the vanguard of presenting artists of color; Pope.L had his first solo West Coast museum exhibition there and Mickalene Thomas’s first solo exhibition in a U.S. museum opened at the institute and subsequently traveled to the Brooklyn Museum. Anne Ellegood said the revamped ICA LA space in the downtown Arts District, and the residency program, will help local artists. “It’s literally a neighborhood named for artists, which is increasingly a neighborhood where artists are not present and can’t afford to be here,” she said.

Given the scope of some museum building projects, this one is modest — $5 million, with an overall fund-raising campaign of about $12 million (more than $7 million has been raised so far). The Institute of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles has an annual operating budget of $3.5 million, no endowment and a full-time staff of 12. But the effort is significant for an institution of its size. “We aren’t doing a $100 million expansion of our building,” Ellegood said, referring to the nearby Broad museum’s recent announcement. “But we’re doing a campaign with certain kinds of growth for our institution that are just as meaningful.”

Artists have come to appreciate this museum’s role in the city’s cultural ecosystem. The Institute is “often first on the ground in terms of trends or interests,” said the artist Charles Gaines, who serves on the board. “The big institutions can’t be as nimble.”

At the back of the building, the developer AvalonBay Communities created the artist studios; a landscaped pedestrian-only paseo (walkway) that can be used for outdoor programming, performances, and events; and a plaza for the museum that will contain its new north entrance through a 450-square-foot pavilion. Parking has always been a challenge for the museum, given that it has only eight spaces. Under the renovation plan, the museum is transforming its small parking lot into a gathering area with seating for the new cafe and will encourage visitors to park at a nearby public garage on Industrial Street, which has about 160 spaces. The cafe, which is planned for the Seventh Street side of the building, will feature a residency program for emerging chefs that will allow them to try out menus and collaborate with artists.
Quote:

beverlypress.com/SCLA

The Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles has announced a transformative renovation of its downtown Los Angeles headquarters that creates a new 299-seat state of the art multi-media and live performing arts and community center.

“Renovating our 22,000 square foot warehouse to support live multi-media performance, as well as building out the functionalities demanded by high tech media production, will enable us to create great art that meets the moment and support other non-profit arts organizations and commercial for-profit entertainment industry enterprises to do the same,” SCLA founder and artistic director Ben Donenberg said.

The world-renowned architect of the project is Zoltan E. Pali, FAIA, Design Principal of SPF:architects. His work is distinguished by over 100 national and regional design awards, including an American Architecture Award in 2014 for the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts in Beverly Hills and an AIALA Presidential Award for leading the executive architecture team on the $280-million renovation and expansion of the Getty Villa Museum

Old Posted Today, 6:19 AM

Quote:
When I was a kid in the '60’s and 70’s growing up in LA County, the air was yellow with car exhaust hanging heavy under the inversion dome covering the valley. On special “smog alert” days we kids had to stay indoors....we used to traverse the great highways that split the Greater LA landscape as surely as rivers or canyons, while my brothers and I sat in the back gasping for air, imagining our fingernails carving grooves in the back windows as we tried to claw our way out. Good times. After several years there, the gods smiled on our family and we moved up to northern California. It was literally, a breath of fresh air.

I recently returned to Los Angeles, the city, for the first time in several decades to attend the college graduation of our youngest daughter. My wife, who had visited on business a few years earlier, insisted on booking rooms in a hotel in downtown LA, in what she enthusiastically claimed was a walkable, vibrant urban core. So off we flew.

The freeway ride between LAX and our hotel was lined with billboards advertising traffic accident and workplace bullying lawyers (Call 833-FU-BULLY Today!) giving a weird vibe at the start of our trip. Clearly LA was a dangerous ride and a tough place to work. But could it be fun?

DTLA is a patchwork of old buildings featuring beautiful stonework festooned with artistic flourishes intermixed with gleaming office highrises and newly built apartments. Our hotel, the fabulous Biltmore, first opened in 1923, and the Spring Arcade, where we had our first breakfast, in 1924.

In walking through some of the different districts, I saw infill housing in the form of new apartment buildings surrounded by old warehouses and boarded up storefronts, and old industrial buildings converted to lofts. In daylight hours the folks on the street are a rainbow of young and old, squares and hipsters, rich people, working stiffs and the down and out. Young people on scooters and ebikes zip along fearlessly with the cars. My wife and I were impressed with the energy and vitality of the people and the general scene.
meanwhile, after a few yrs of drought, the Arthur Will memorial fountain in grand park is finally operating again...

https://youtu.be/QKrFgVIj7Lg?si=OniPlKnrpHjxTbzp&t=93

Improvements to dtla are affected by news stories like the recent ones about graffiti on oceanwide's unfinished highrise towers or the actor victimized by crime....so not managing things like Grand Pk in the best way possible is negligence on city & county govnt's part. When I drove by 1st St not long ago, homeless encampments continue to be in the shadow of city hall & grand park. But nearby little tokyo at least had a good number of ppl walking around, which always makes any area seem healthier. however, I can tell that local improvement districts in dtla areas like little Tokyo are struggling to keep sidewalks & streets clean....& the new apt bldg across from weller court & south of city hall is still unfinished.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations