HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Good grief, have you been to Detroit and Cleveland? (I doubt it). No large Canadian city comes anywhere close in terms of decrepitude. I was in Detroit last summer, and yes, there are pockets of redevelopment, but the city as a whole is in extremely rough shape, on a scale that is unimaginable in Canada. There are reasons why these two cities are buzzwords for urban decay. Tens of thousands of abandoned homes. Hundreds of abandoned factories and schools, hectares of urban prairie, block after block of shuttered retail.
I get that you don't like Detroit, but I figured you'd have a soft spot for Cleveland

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:56 PM

Quote:
I predict that so long as Gary Buttman remains in charge, a Canadian city will never see a Stanley Cup. Montreal was the last one (I was there) and that was wayyyyyy back in 1993 (when I was nearing the end of my undergraduate degree at Concordia U).
To be fair, the Maple Leafs don't need to help of Gary Bettman or anyone else not to win the Stanley Cup... They've become experts at that.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:01 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
To be fair, the Maple Leafs don't need to help of Gary Bettman or anyone else not to win the Stanley Cup... They've become experts at that.

From 1967-1993 was a long drought even before Bettman 1993-present

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Good grief, have you been to Detroit and Cleveland? (I doubt it). No large Canadian city comes anywhere close in terms of decrepitude. I was in Detroit last summer, and yes, there are pockets of redevelopment, but the city as a whole is in extremely rough shape, on a scale that is unimaginable in Canada. There are reasons why these two cities are buzzwords for urban decay. Tens of thousands of abandoned homes. Hundreds of abandoned factories and schools, hectares of urban prairie, block after block of shuttered retail.

Your logic is strange. Ouagadougou and Port Moresby are also on the up and up, but these are not place conducive to wandering, even as Canadian cities have witnessed growth in homelessness.

The original argument he made was about the downtowns (not the entire cities). When talking about Detroit, you have to separate the downtown from the rest of the city. Downtown Detroit is incredible today compared to what it was 10-15 years ago and it's certainly comparable to some Canadian big city downtowns today in terms of safety, cleanliness, and vibrancy.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:03 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Just looking at the population clock and Ontario has the same population as the entire rest of the country minus Quebec.
Ontario: 16,074,980
All of Canada except Quebec: 16,054,220
Quebec: 9,058,885

Ok, carry on haha

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:35 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

More reason the rest of Canada should want Quebec to stay. Does Alberta really want to live in a majority Ontarian nation?

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Just looking at the population clock and Ontario has the same population as the entire rest of the country minus Quebec.

Ok, carry on haha
Just reinforces the reality that the remaining provinces in the federation (perhaps not Quebec) are simply Ontario's colonies.

I kinda think this is what Sir John A intended in the first place.........

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Just reinforces the reality that the remaining provinces in the federation (perhaps not Quebec) are simply Ontario's colonies.

It's kinds sad but very true. At least in English Canada, Ontario is downtown Canada and everywhere else is just the suburbs.

Last edited by ssiguy; May 14, 2024 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
More reason the rest of Canada should want Quebec to stay. Does Alberta really want to live in a majority Ontarian nation?
I mean, by challenging aspects of Canadian federalism (and even the very notion itself), Quebec often acts as a necessary counter balance and is sometimes the only dissenting voice in the room. Alberta is now more and more vocal abouts perceived injustices, but in a Canada-sans-Québec, Queen's Park and not Parliament Hill will steer the ship.

Ontario is not exactly homogeneous, but in a country so physically vast, it's already a concern that much of the power and decision-making is concentrated in a small corridor. This isn't unique to Canada, of course.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 4:21 PM

The solution to this problem is to break up Ontario into five parts. Make the GTA a city-state province, make Ottawa a federal district, and the rest of Ontario divided into three new provinces, one each for the Southwest, North, and East.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The solution to this problem is to break up Ontario into five parts. Make the GTA a city-state province, make Ottawa a federal district, and the rest of Ontario divided into three new provinces, one each for the Southwest, North, and East.
Five parts is extreme, but into at least two seems inevitable at this point. Whether a federal district, GTA, or both.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBobo View Post
Five parts is extreme, but into at least two seems inevitable at this point. Whether a federal district, GTA, or both.
I mean, five parts is really the only choice. Simply cutting out the GTA & Ottawa makes for a province that doesn't make much sense. It doesn't really have a "centre" anymore. If you cut out the GTA you pretty much have to then split the rest of the province into separate parts.

Southwest Ontario would be bigger than MK & SK combined, while Northern and Eastern provinces would be roughly in the same ballpark as MB, SK, or NS. It's not like they're too small to function.

The current setup doesn't work for Ontario anymore. The GTA dominates Ontario politics to the point where everywhere else is an afterthought. And the GTA itself would work better as a city-state. Partition is win-win.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:56 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Just in case anyone forgot or wanted to know.
May 22 - just over a week away now.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I think he wanted Québec to become an Ontario colony too (right after Québec "sees the light" and move from French to English...).

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 8:45 PM

Greater Ottawa/Gatineau will NEVER,EVER become it's own territory/province like Australia's Canberra.

Gatineau is a stronghold for federalism and if there is another independence vote, which admittedly I doubt, losing those votes could swing the election to a sovereignty win. Naturally all federal parties know this which is why it will never happen.

As for splitting up the rest of Ontario, why would it? Ontario is the elephant in the room and has Ottawa under it's thumb so why would Ontario choose to lose that advantage?

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 9:30 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post

Ok, carry on haha
Ummm, it's been that way since about 1998.

In 1996 Ont vs Can-QC was 10.754/10.956 and then in 2001 it was 11.410/11.360 (SC pop #'s).

Sorry, but this news is over 25 years too late

Do something about your future.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 9:43 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Cool

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 10:27 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post

In 1996 Ont vs Can-QC was 10.754/10.956 and then in 2001 it was 11.410/11.360 (SC pop #'s).

How about: "Little known fact, but did you know that this proportion has stayed relatively constant for over 25 years, despite all the population growth?"

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post

Thanks for doing the legwork on that, I was curious what previous data would show regarding that data trend.

I personally think that growth in Alberta has a serious chance at changing this balance between Ontario and the rest of Canada. BC is still the most populous in Western Canada, but it has major geographical challenges that will hamper growth in the future once the Lower Mainland gets maxed out. Alberta does not have this problem at all and will be able to grow very large without significant geographical restrictions, similar to Ontario. We are already seeing it catch up to BC, and I suspect it will surpass BC in a couple of decades, if not sooner.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 12:08 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
So you want 3 more provinces, 3 more provincial capitals and 3 more layers of government.

What are your new Provincial capitals?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada