HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
Perhaps there could be a marketplace with street-vendors and such. It could be a small performance area with dancing/musical performers, or a place where public demonstrations (like the tobacco "truth" ads or something) are held. If there is enough pedestrian traffic, I could see this space being put to good use. Don't know how protective they are of that space though. It seems that after the majority of Peachtree is developed in this area (with buildings/stores up to the street), this open space might be valued and could be put to great use.
I would bet that the feds have very strict requirements about access to their buildings and their proximity to the road after the OK City bombing in 1995. The Federal Reserve was built so far back from Peachtree for a reason, and I am sure the aftermath of the OKC bombing played a big role in determining the building's placement on the site. With that said, I would bet that there is little they will let "us" do to utilize all that wasted space along Peachtree.

For all we know, the U.S. government might have had a significantly worse original plan for that site and the plaza in front of the Federal Reserve building may actually be the result of some type of compromise with the Midtown Alliance. Terminus - what do you know about the history of that project?

Rather than trying to do something with the Reserve building, I feel that the Midtown Alliance would have a much better chance convincing the federal government of the benefits of selling their anti-urban FDA building at Peachtree and 8th to a private developer and should focus any efforts with the feds on that.

Last edited by cokezero; Apr 12, 2007 at 8:34 PM. Reason: I had my dates wrong!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta