HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You're normally smarter than this (descending into race-baiting).

More rationally, I suppose Canadians living in the US are a bit different as they are living in the belly of the nation's historico-cultural existential threat. Saying you're Canadian in the middle of the mass of Americans with whom you otherwise perfectly blend in with is kind of like dyeing your hair purple in high school.

Fadi in Beirut, Wei in Hong Kong or even Werner in Stuttgart or Didier in Toulouse will probably feel less of an urge to do that.

Regarding financial contributions to the Canadian economy, the average Canadian household pays about $40,000 a year in taxes of all kinds. Those Canadians of convenience who come and visit us in the summer are sure having lavish vacations back home if they're topping that amount in a few weeks.

Note that I am still not opposed to the government bringing Canadian citizens resident abroad back home if they're in trouble.
Yeah it was too inflammatory but I do think it's true Lebanese or Chinese dual citizens are not considered as Canadian as white Canadians who are the same. Now some of this is true. Many moved here as adults stayed 5 years and moved back but not always and that is my point I guess. We can't separate them so we have to treat them all equally. French kid 15 generations in Canada to moved to Lebanon for a girl and 1980s wealthy immigrant who renews their passport only in case of trouble and looks down on Canada as a cold and cultureless.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada