HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 7:35 PM

San Francisco’s tech workforce is still growing, outpacing other metro areas

Quote:
Melia Russell
March 27, 2019 Updated: March 27, 2019 4 a.m.

It’s a complicated time to work in tech, with Wall Street getting jittery at every new earnings report and a growing political backlash, or “techlash,” making headlines.

But the Bay Area’s technology industry continued to be a job engine, with two parts of the region — the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas — ranking No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, for adding the most tech jobs over the past year, according to a new study by the Computing Technology Industry Association, or CompTIA.

California’s tech workforce grew by more than 51,500 jobs in 2018, with well over half of them in the Bay Area. The San Francisco metro area, which stretches from Marin to San Mateo and parts of the East Bay, edged out bigger cities like New York and Los Angeles with a net gain of 20,566 tech jobs. The San Jose metro area, which includes the South Bay and parts of the East Bay, added 13,140 jobs.

In a sign of the continued shift of jobs and investment north from the traditional bounds of Silicon Valley to the newer tech hub of San Francisco, the northern part of the Bay Area had 385,019 jobs, versus 371,640 in the southern part . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...photo-17129494

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:26 PM
Pay it Forward

Stats from this report:

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:29 PM
Pay it Forward

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Stats from this report:

Didn't expect to see Detroit having added almost as many tech jobs as Boston.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:34 PM

Why Austin so low? I thought it would be a top 5 tech hub. Top 10 at least. Besides that nothing really stands out

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 9:55 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Why Austin so low? I thought it would be a top 5 tech hub. Top 10 at least. Besides that nothing really stands out
Austin is 4th as far as Tech as a Percent of the Total GDP.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 10:14 PM
The City

Tech is dumb

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 10:25 PM

Sure thing SFO, you arent getting grey hair.

HArdly anybody notices that bald spot, those growing wrinkles and expanding gut.

You still look great

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 12:07 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Sure thing SFO, you arent getting grey hair.

HArdly anybody notices that bald spot, those growing wrinkles and expanding gut.

You still look great
Trust me, the housing affordability crisis is killing any sense of benefit the Bay Area has had from this current boom. It's ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Trust me, the housing affordability crisis is killing any sense of benefit the Bay Area has had from this current boom. It's ridiculous.
I'd also say the dominance of "tech bros" everywhere and anywhere, whether lined up for ice cream at Bi-Rite or getting drunk on Marina Green or grabbing tables at every eatery in town has also killed any sense of benefit. Many people would love to see it all end a la 2000 - 2003 but it isn't showing any signs of that.

I think the development boom has peaked because building costs have gotten so high, we are at or near Prop. M caps and many of the most desirable sites have been built on, but the tech industry marches on with companies like Saleforce leasing entire buildings not even approved yet (750 Howard).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'd also say the dominance of "tech bros" everywhere and anywhere, whether lined up for ice cream at Bi-Rite or getting drunk on Marina Green or grabbing tables at every eatery in town has also killed any sense of benefit. Many people would love to see it all end a la 2000 - 2003 but it isn't showing any signs of that.

I think the development boom has peaked because building costs have gotten so high, we are at or near Prop. M caps and many of the most desirable sites have been built on, but the tech industry marches on with companies like Saleforce leasing entire buildings not even approved yet (750 Howard).
"Would love to see it end a la 2000-2003 but it isn't showing any signs of that"

Maybe it is. Watched a "Theranos" expose on HBO and it seems the entire company was a total fraud right from the start--a gazillion lab results from a single drop of blood in a mini lab called "Edison" and they believed it. All the big tech angels bought into it and lost bundles. Many of the new IPOs coming to market (Lyft, Uber etc.) apparently will not show a profit for years, if ever. People are willing to bet on something sexy, but in the end gravity wins. For every Apple or Google, how many Theranos's are there? Not sure. But valuations have reached 2000 levels, and the social media stocks have sure gotten black eyes from recent events. Millions have cancelled their Facebook accounts. So maybe the slowdown a la 2000 is coming.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I think there is a lot of disenchantment with tech, not so much the hardware as the software, and especially the social media. The early promise has turned into anger as nefarious activities and trolling have taken over. Facebook and Twitter especially. When they allow meddling in elections, we have to draw the line. Spending hours per day on Facebook or Twitter seems increasingly like a great waste of time.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
It would make more sense to place to Sacrament and the LA area, overall decentralize the industry. The Bay Area, especially with the rampant NIBYism does not have the resources to support all those new workers unless the areas around the tech campuses are massively rezoned.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 10:48 PM
你的媽媽

Interesting list. We can definitely see where tech is still growing and in some cases, booming, whereas in other metros, it has stagnated or fallen behind.

Metros with over 100k tech workers that are outpacing the US average for 2010-2018:
Atlanta 25.4%
Austin 40.3%
Boston 22.1%
Charlotte 48.2%
Dallas 23.2%
Denver 28.6%
Detroit 37.2%
Miami 20.4%
Phoenix 22.6%
Portland 28.7%
San Francisco 62.4%
San Jose 38.1%
Seattle 31.5%

Metros with over 100k tech workers that being outpaced compared to the US average for 2010-2018:
Chicago 17.9%
Houston 8.0%
Kansas City 17.3%
Los Angeles 11.8%
Minneapolis 17.0%
New York City 16.9%
Philadelphia 2.6%
San Diego 11.5%
St. Louis 7.8%
Washington DC 3.2%

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 12:54 AM
Never Dell

This appears to be a broader definition of "tech." To some degree, any big city will score highly.

Narrow it (many ways to do that) and the list would be different.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 9:18 PM

I have seen a lot of articles about a massive tech exodus out the Bay Area.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/08/n...-coast-exodus/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 2:07 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
I have seen a lot of articles about a massive tech exodus out the Bay Area.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/08/n...-coast-exodus/
Yeah Ive seen those articles and my sense living here and working in the industry is that it's not true.

Now that there is actual data, my suspicions that those articles are exaggerations are true.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 9:21 PM
Never Dell

An exodus doesn't have to mean a reduction.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
An exodus doesn't have to mean a reduction.
Exactly. That's really why I decided to post this. We all read constantly about people and businesses leaving CA for Texas or, recently in the WSJ, New York. But the point of this thread kind of is that even though people and companies are leaving, more are arriving (from other parts of the US and also from places like Europe and Israel) or springing up than are leaving and the tech economy in the Bay Area is still growing.

CA is really a birthing center and incubator of companies and jobs, but once they reach a certain stage some of them do choose to leave for someplace the competition for workers and the cost of doing business or housing those workers is lower. But as that's happening, more businesses are arriving or being founded.

An example of what's happening:

Quote:
Lia Kislev and Clea O’Hana, who started the online personal-styling company Wishi in Israel and San Francisco in 2016, are in the process of closing their California office. Silicon Valley was a good environment for perfecting Wishi’s algorithm, they said, but the majority of fashion retailers, clients and stylists the company works with are located in the Big Apple.

“We found ourselves flying to New York every week, so it just made more sense to be there,” said Ms. Kislev, 34 years old.

Mses. Kislev and O’Hana, who have six employees in New York and plan to hire six more, said the city’s robust female-founder community was another selling point. Women in the retail industry have opened doors and offered advice on topics like how to get male investors interested in fashion startups, Ms. O’Hana, 29, said.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/some-st...=hp_lead_pos10

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:38 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Exactly. That's really why I decided to post this. We all read constantly about people and businesses leaving CA for Texas or, recently in the WSJ, New York.
Companies come and go all the time and they expand all over the world all the time, but it's a totally false narrative to say that Silicon Valley is in decline, or has lost it's ability to drive innovation, and that "everyone" is moving to New York(or London or Austin etc), the way that many media outlets have been reporting.

Fact of the matter is, nowhere incubates ideas into multi-billion dollar corporations quite like the Bay Area

Just today, Lyft started trading and is currently valued at $25 billion, that's astounding. Uber is expected to climb to $125 billion when it goes public soon, Airbnb, Pinterest, Palantir etc, all local companies going public this year and all expected to be valued in the billions.

And I can think of a dozen other local start ups that look like exceptional prospects for the future.

And that's on top of what the region already has going on.

US tech companies with a market capitalization of $5 Billion+, March 28, 2019

Bay Area:
Apple $889.87 Billion
Alphabet $814.95 Billion
Facebook $472.48 Billion
Intel $238.84 Billion
Cisco $234.89 Billion
Oracle $181.79 Billion
Netflix $154.82 Billion
Adobe $128.59 Billion
PayPal $121.85 Billion
Salesforce $119.64 Billion
Broadcom $118.39 Billion
NVIDIA $107.41 Billion
VMWare $73.11 Billion
Intuit $67.16 Billion
Tesla $48.12 Billion
Applied Materials $36.56 Billion
Ebay $33.65 Billion
Autodesk $33.60 Billion
Xilinx $32.04 Billion
Square $31.17 Billion
Electronic Arts $30.62 Billion
HP $29.14 Billion
AMD $27.10 Billion
Twitter $25.21 Billion
Palo Alto Networks $22.34 Billion
HP Networks $20.91 Billion
KLA-Tencor $19.32 Billion
Splunk $18.28 Billion
Cadence Design $17.62 Billion
Synopsys $16.96 Billion
NetApp $16.64 Billion
Twilio $15.54 Billion
Symantec $14.66 Billion
Maxim $14.42 Billion
Fortinet $14.05 Billion
Western Digital $13.31 Billion
Okta $9.13 Billion
Juniper Networks $9.04 Billion
Dropbox $8.84 Billion
DocuSign $8.8 Billion
Guideware $7.8 Billion
Roku $7.08 Billion
Nutanix $6.66 Billion
Mellanox $6.42 Billion
Integrated Device Tech $6.33 Billion
Monolithic Power Systems $5.76 Billion
New Relic $5.64 Billion
Coupa $5.46 Billion
Cypress $5.46 Billion
Pivotal $5.43 Billion

Austin:
Dell $40.89 Billion
SolarWinds $5.88 Billion
National Instruments $5.87 Billion

Boise:
Micron $43.54 Billion

Boston:
Analog Devices $38.33 Billion
Skyworks Solutions $14.02 Billion
Akamai Technologies $11.6 Billion
PTC $10.72 Billion
Cognex $8.59 Billion
IPG Photonics $7.85 Billion
TripAdvisor $7.08 Billion
Teradyne $6.81 Billion
Hubspot $6.47 Billion

Chicago:
Zebra Technologies $11.23 Billion

Dallas-Ft Worth:
Texas Instruments $98.47 Billion
Match $15.56 Billion
Tyler Technologies $7.83 Billion
Sabre $5.86 Billion
RealPage $5.66 Billion

Greensboro:
Qorvo $8.62 Billion

Hartford:
SS&C $15.82

Raleigh:
Red Hat $32.16 Billion

Los Angeles:
Activation Blizzard $34.85 Billion
Snap $14.25 Billion
The Trade Desk $7.14 Billion
Alteryx $5.18 Billion

Miami:
Citrix $13.31 Billion
The Ultimate Software $10.44 Billion

Minneapolis
Ceridian $7.05 Billion

New York:
Booking Holding Inc $77.82 Billion
Take-Two Interactive $10.92 Billion
Ubiquiti $10.39 Billion
FactSet Research $9.32 Billion
Etsy $8.30 Billion
MongDB $7.94 Billion
Xerox $7.31 Billion

Oklahoma City:
Paycom $10.92 Billion

Phoenix:
Microchip Technology $19.32 Billion
ON Semiconductor $8.30 Billion
First Solar $5.46 Billion

Pittsburgh:
ANSYS $15.1 Billion

Raleigh:
Cree $5.83 Billion

San Diego:
Qualcomm $68.44 Billion
Teradata $5.14 Billion

Seattle:
Microsoft $897.11 Billion
Amazon $871.11 Billion
Expedia $17.52 Billion
Tableau $10.7 Billion
F5 Networks $9.14 Billion

I think it's safe to say that the Bay Area is in no danger of losing it's crown as the Evil Empire of technology

Last edited by dimondpark; Mar 29, 2019 at 6:44 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions