HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 11:17 PM

Why London is beating American cities

It's been way too quiet and peaceful on here....It's time for a Joel Kotkin article!

https://unherd.com/2024/04/why-londo...ericas-cities/

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 2:23 AM
They all float down here

Beating American cities in what?

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 2:48 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Beating American cities in what?
Economic malaise? Most abandoned russian oligarch mansions per capita? Fastest negative change in number of jobs in finance and banking?

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 2:49 AM
你的媽媽

Tl;dr?

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 2:51 AM

Quote:
In the realm of tech, one recent study suggested that London beats New York and San Francisco.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 3:04 AM
devout Pizzatarian

I so dearly hope muppet comes back and posts 8,000 fucking pics of random London shit.

As for the article, it seems as though kotkin has added senility to his more usual repertoire of abject idiocy.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I so dearly hope muppet comes back and posts 8,000 fucking pics of random London shit.

As for the article, it seems as though kotkin has added senility to his more usual repertoire of abject idiocy.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 3:47 AM

Quote:

Dementia is no laughing matter.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 4:07 AM

I'll give it credit, London is beating all American cities in hosting international NFL games.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 4:31 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
It's been way too quiet and peaceful on here....It's time for a Joel Kotkin article!

https://unherd.com/2024/04/why-londo...ericas-cities/

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 8:18 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:

Oh cooo-ey!!! Did you miss me? Did you??

Just for you xx

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 8:33 AM
if I sang out of tune

In reality London hasn't entered the doom loop thanks to offsetting the retail apocalypse with the 'playground city' thing, whereby many shuttered shops are replaced by restaurants and bars, almost too many. However it still faces major obstacles.

The big thing the city and UK overall has to deal with is Brexit. London's managed to coast it by replacing EU workers with those from further afield -the only thing Brexit did other than lose 200 billion in trade was bring in absolute record shattering numbers of migrants (1.2 million a year at last count, comparable to the US).

A noticeable fallout is still prices and greedflation, though not as severe as the US, but the abject decimation of nightlife, which has indeed entered a doom loop. Central London, once home to the worlds biggest nightlife districts and 24hrs is now quieter than outer zones as Millennials/ Gen Z just go to their locals to party, drink less and spend less - a pint (or increasingly small bottle) is now $10. Pubs now close at the draconian times of 11am, just like they did before, despite the 24hr licensing. Club land is gutted, and this last year has been mind-blowing, almost everyone I meet now comments on how much quieter it's become overnight, kicking a can down Soho or walking your dog/ grandma after a nice little meal.

The housing market is also reaching 'emergency not crisis' as the city grows by over 100,000 a year and a fraction needed being built despite the Mayor's record construction. Another gem in the waiting is healthcare, the NHS reeling from crisis after crisis as a fallout from the pandemic and the strikes from the cost of living, now facing severe debt. As reminder, a well paid doctor can no longer afford to buy in the city.

Overall the city does look like things are fine and ticking over -for example tourism is absolutely booming due to the weakened £, educational performance is consistently the best in the country despite more deprivation, population is still rising etc -but the problems are still there, though different. I think the major one is the housing, followed by healthcare, followed by rising street crime (contrasting with overall falling crime) -the latter of which, although petty, can decimate cities if not checked.

In short, different problems.

Last edited by muppet; May 19, 2024 at 9:06 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
And yet, she observes, overall crime rates have fallen under London’s last three mayors and, in terms of crime and anti-social behaviour, levels are well below the national average. Travers partly credits this to the fact that the UK has not experienced an American-style “opioid crisis” or “defund-the-police moment”. As a result, London saw 104 homicides last year, equivalent to 12 per million people, compared to 45.4 per million in New York, one of America’s safer cities.
Is he just now discovering that European countries have much lower homicide rates than America?

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 5:41 PM

[...]partly credits this to the fact that the UK has not experienced an American-style “opioid crisis” or “defund-the-police moment”. As a result, London saw 104 homicides last year[...]

Awww. Bless her heart. Did no one tell her about the guns thing? Or that homicides in US cities are down? Or that defund-the-police isn't a thing?

Last edited by bilbao58; May 19, 2024 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 7:57 PM

Muppet, I’m curious how Brexit has brought in a record number of migrants? I thought a goal of brexit was to stem immigration?

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 8:20 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Muppet, I’m curious how Brexit has brought in a record number of migrants? I thought a goal of brexit was to stem immigration?
Probably a lot from the commonwealths still.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 8:48 PM

^^^^Forget this. It's wrong. Never mind!

Last edited by bilbao58; May 29, 2024 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
The big thing the city and UK overall has to deal with is Brexit. London's managed to coast it by replacing EU workers with those from further afield -the only thing Brexit did other than lose 200 billion in trade was bring in absolute record shattering numbers of migrants (1.2 million a year at last count, comparable to the US).
I've read this, that the UK has record immigration atm. Sorta like Canada.

Of course, it's because there aren't enough bodies to fill the open jobs, or those that were created when EU 'migrants' had to leave...so what does the UK do...imports more migrants only these ones are likely black and brown and oh, isn't that the sweet irony?

Elizabeth and Rodney must be furious.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 10:20 PM

London is not competing with U.S. cities. So how is it "beating" (or not beating) U.S. cities?

If London has, say, better crime or healthcare outcomes, that has no relative consequence to crime or healthcare in Dallas or Detroit.

Also, the first six words of the article are alt-right garbage, so it's hard to take anything seriously from that point on. Anyone who believes in Kotkin would hate politics and policies in London. Their mayor is a lefty, woke, religious Muslim. If he were mayor of Chicago, Kotkin would have a shit-fit. He calls Brandon Johnson "an urban arsonist" while praising London's management.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
The UK replaced Euro immigrants with immigrants from everywhere else. Brexit forced tons of European talent home, so the UK had to go hog-wild to replace the departed nurses and baristas. Also the UK now basically has open immigration with Hong Kong, following the Chinese essentially tearing up the handover treaty and ending democracy and autonomy in HK.

So all those Brexiteers who bad-mouthed the Poles and Spaniards now have replacements that I suspect are even less favored. It's almost like Brexit made no logical sense...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions