HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 2:48 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Winnipeg back on Guardian Angel's Radar

City's back on Guardian Angels' radar

Mon Sep 17 2007 | By Jen Skerritt | Winnipeg Free Press

A citizen crime-busting group believes it's needed in Winnipeg after a string of shootings and stabbings across the city last weekend.
Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa had visited Winnipeg in July 2006 and said his group might start a chapter here. And, prompted by the murders, stabbings and shootings on Friday and Saturday, Sliwa said Sunday he believes it's time to have the red-beret Angels patrol Winnipeg streets.

Sliwa said Guardian Angels will visit Winnipeg between Thanksgiving and Christmas to introduce the idea to city officials, Winnipeg police and community groups.

"Well, I mean to be perfectly honest, that's a headline from the Detroit Free Press," Sliwa said, referring to a headline that appeared in the Winnipeg Free Press on Sunday.

The headline reads: Madness on the streets: Police resources maxed out responding to murder, stabbings, beatings.

"No one could have ever anticipated a headline like that in Winnipeg but the reality is, the violence is not a blip, it's not an aberration, this is symptomatic of what I see everywhere."
For the record, Detroit's murder rate is much higher than Winnipeg's rate. In 2004, 384 people were slain in Detroit, a murder rate of 39 per 100,000 people.

In Winnipeg, 39 people were murdered in 2004, a rate of eight per 100,000 people.

Last weekend, two men were found dead in what police are calling "suspicious" circumstances. One man was found sprawled next to a Dumpster on Spence Street, while another body of a man was found behind a residence on Manitoba Avenue.

A 16-year-old was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries after being struck with a blast from a shotgun on College Avenue, a man was shot before 8 a.m. Saturday on Inkster Boulevard and two women were victims of separate stabbings.

Sliwa initially founded Guardian Angels 27 years ago in the Bronx, in response to violent crime in New York City. Volunteers receive three months training in martial arts and self-defence and patrol crime-ridden neighbourhoods in groups of four or more to break up drunken brawls and make legitimate citizen's arrests.

Sliwa said violent crime is on the rise across urban centres in western Canada, including Winnipeg, and police can't handle everything on their own.

"It's not going to get better by itself," Sliwa said. "Law enforcement will always be a dollar short and a day late."

Winnipeg has been on Sliwa's radar for the last year and half, after frustrated social workers called the crime organization complaining of local communities riddled with crime due largely due to alcohol and drug abuse. Guardian Angels has recently been introduced in Calgary, Regina and Edmonton, in addition to pre-existing patrols in Vancouver, Ottawa and Toronto.

However, the group's tough-on-crime approach has been met with resistance in several cities. Some people oppose the idea, thinking it is based on the idea of citizen "vigilantes".

Others simply see it as dangerous.

Sliwa said since Guardian Angels began in New York, six volunteers have been killed. Sliwa himself was shot five times by one of former crime boss John Gotti Jr.'s henchmen.

Meanwhile, RCMP have identified the murder victim found in his home near Inwood Friday as 43-year-old Ivan Radocaj.

Cpl. Chris Ballard said an autopsy performed Saturday at St. Boniface Hospital confirmed Radocaj died as a result of blunt force trauma.

"It could be a bruise, it could be internal injuries, it could be broken bones (that are) a result of blunt force trauma," Ballard said Sunday.

No arrests have been made and Ballard said Radocaj was not known to police. No further details about the slaying are being released at this time.

RCMP are continuing their investigation.

jen.skerritt@freepress.mb.ca

Poll Results:
After this weekend's violence, do you think Winnipeg needs the Guardian Angels?

Yes 40%
No 60%

Total Votes: 715

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 2:50 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Madness on the streets
Police resources maxed out responding to murder, stabbings, beatings

Sun Sep 16 2007 | By Bill Redekop | Winnipeg Free Press

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
5:15 a.m.: Shotgun blasts in 500 block of College Avenue; teen in hospital in stable condition.

THREE men are dead and two are in hospital following a night of murder and mayhem in Winnipeg and the east Interlake.
A woman was also killed in a single-car rollover while driving on gravel on Ravelstone Avenue west of Plessis Road on Saturday morning.

Also, two women were arrested for separate stabbings of female victims.

"Definitely, it was a busy night," said police spokeswoman Jacqueline Chaput on Saturday. "All our resources are pretty much taxed right now."

'Suspicious' death

A man was found dead behind a residence in the 400 block of Manitoba Ave. at about 6:30 a.m. Saturday. Police are calling the death "suspicious."

The house is well known to police. On May 14, the house had its windows shot out by gunfire. A sheet of plywood now covers the front window. More recently, the Winnipeg Police Service heavily armed emergency response unit raided the house.

"That is a bad, bad, bad, bad place. Drugs, hookers, parties," said one neighbour.

An area resident said people frequenting the house tend to wear red to signify the colours of the Indian Posse gang.

A short, cast-iron fence and a spindly hedge bordered the yard and sidewalk. "I'm scared to go out. I'm an old lady," said one neighbour.

Dumpster death

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
8 a.m.: Shooting in 100 block of Inkster Boulevard.

Farther west on the 500 block of Spence Street, a man was found sprawled next to a Dumpster in the back lane around 7:30 a.m. Saturday. Police would not say the cause of death but some residents believe the man was beaten and then staggered to the location. The 33-year-old man was taken to hospital in critical condition, where he succumbed to his injuries.

It's being investigated as suspicious, Chaput said.

The man was found a few doors away from a house that a neighbour called "an absolute nightmare. A drug house and a prostitution house."

The man, who gave his name as Brett, said the Housing Opportunity Partnership (HOP) has made great strides in upgrading housing and improving the neighbourhood, but there are some rental houses that are "disgusting."

North End shotgun blasts

In the 500 block of College Avenue, couple Jennifer Allard and Chuck Ducharme were awakened by a series of shotgun blasts at 5:15 a.m. Saturday. "It sounded like it came from right between the houses. It was so loud," Jennifer said. One of the blasts went right through the driver's side window and out the passenger's side window of their Pontiac, parked on the street in front of their house.

A 16-year-old was taken to hospital in stable condition with non life-threatening injuries to his upper body, police said.

Shattered glass and shotgun pellets were still inside the car Saturday afternoon. Pellets had scarred the car's interior and ceiling.

"It's scary. Right in front of the house," Jennifer said.

The young couple, who just moved into the neighbourhood a year ago, has an eight-month-old son and 13-year-old daughter. They have already filed six claims with Autopac for break-ins and vandalism to their second vehicle since moving into the neighbourhood.

Man shot

A man was shot just before 8 a.m. Saturday in a residence in the 100 block of Inkster Boulevard. The victim was taken to hospital in critical condition but has since been upgraded to stable.

Woman stabbed

Police also said a 40-year-old woman has been arrested for stabbing a 19-year-old woman Friday night. The two are related but police would not say how. The two had been arguing outside a home in the 700 block of Alexander Avenue. The victim's condition has been upgraded to stable.

Also, a 24-year-old woman was arrested for stabbing another woman, in the 100 block of Commercial Avenue. The victim was treated and released.

Rollover kills driver

Meanwhile, the lone occupant of a taupe-coloured Chevrolet Cavalier was killed in a single-vehicle rollover on Ravelstone Avenue, at about 6 a.m. Saturday. The fatality occurred on a stretch of gravel road through an industrial area.

Inwood homicide

In the Interlake, RCMP are investigating a homicide after the body of a man was found inside a home near Inwood -- 70 kilometres north of Winnipeg -- in the RM of Armstrong.

Teulon RCMP continue to investigate with assistance from the RCMP serious crime unit, major crime unit, forensic identification unit and police service dog.

The man's name has not been released.

bill.redekop@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 8:23 PM

Unfortunately, when for whatever number of debatable reasons the state cannot provide a level of security that satisfies the public, or that at least generates a collective, "job well done", the most effective solution, historically speaking, has been for the community, whether it be regional or at large, to enact change small or large that satisfies their previous concerns.

I think the Guarding Angel program is excellent. Citizens passionate about security, providing an additional level of security is wonderful. I don't mean for this to come out as black mark on our police. In fact, I think they are doing an admirable job. It is the justice system that doesn't act promptly, almost routinely allowing the same and known trouble-makers and petty thugs back out on the streets, upon which the police are arresting the same people, over and over. Our law enforcement arm is working to capacity, and the community is set to help out. Certainly, the justice system and the province can notice the actions that scream louder than any words of reform.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 11:04 PM
Density and complexity

I wouldn't want them walking up and down my street.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 12:23 AM
the first stamp is free

I think that ultimately it will be up current residents in the high-crime rate areas to decide amongst themselves that enough is enough. If they aren't willing to do it themselves, I doubt they will appreciate or see much benefit from a bunch of guys "patroling" the streets with larger than average chips on their shoulders.

I do my part. I leave my porch light on all night...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 12:55 AM

^^ Compact flourescent I hope!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 4:34 AM
the first stamp is free

damn right! 13W of pure neighbourhood protection.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 4:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol what ever you guys i will go with rgalston on this one... already has a nieborhood patrol or we did not sure if its still going

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 5:04 AM

I hate to bring ideology into the picture, but I would personally call myself a "right wing Liberal". That is to say, I'm socially liberal, but financially conservative, and believe staunchly in a strong judiciary. Social libertarianism is wonderful, for those who live by the rules cast infront of them, which by all accounts, should be very easy to live by; Don't steal, don't kill, etc. However, I'm not sure the same policy can be enacted in court. On a first offense, absolutely. However, when it comes to the repeat offenders, they abuse the social libertarian mindset. In fact, I believe the current textbook used in the intro to Criminal Justice course offered at the UofW explicitly outlines that letting these people walk is cheaper then sending them to jail (an estimated $80,000 per annum as I recall). Since when did public safety become an issue of thrift. I'm appaled to see our safety, one of our core rights as human beings be treated and dealt with so haphazardly. I wish Mr. Doer would step out from behind his long cough of political rhetoric and start to tackle the real issues of Winnipeg and Manitoba with more than the sound bites he has stored in his back pocket.

Last edited by Boreal; Sep 18, 2007 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 1:39 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I don't see how anything bad can come of this. More eyes on the street are more eyes on the street. It's a good thing.

You know since my boyhood days in Cubs i've longed for a paramilitary organization that I could join where I could enjoy the camaraderie of my fellow man.

Perhaps i've found such an organization.

I suppose now it's just a matter of finding enough quarters to fill a spare sock.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 1:57 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Wish
[Sam complains of the crime situation in the city]
Sam Kreutzer: You know, decent people are going to have to work here and live somewhere else.

Paul Kersey: By "decent people," you mean people who can afford to live somewhere else.

Sam Kreutzer: Oh Christ, you are such a bleeding-heart liberal, Paul.

Paul Kersey: My heart bleeds a little for the underprivileged, yes.

Sam Kreutzer: The underprivileged are beating our goddamned brains out. You know what I say? Stick them in concentration camps, that's what I say.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 7:05 PM

Quote:
A citizen crime-busting group believes it's needed in Winnipeg after a string of shootings and stabbings across the city last weekend.
Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa had visited Winnipeg in July 2006 and said his group might start a chapter here. And, prompted by the murders, stabbings and shootings on Friday and Saturday, Sliwa said Sunday he believes it's time to have the red-beret Angels patrol Winnipeg streets.
What they need to do is put more police at the border this where guns are coming in .Both Toronto and Brampton you see on the news more young people in the teens have guns.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

Sliwa said Guardian Angels will visit Winnipeg between Thanksgiving and Christmas to introduce the idea to city officials, Winnipeg police and community groups.

Good luck on that. Those fools can't even patrol Calgary adequately. How are they going to deal with a much rougher and violent city?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2007, 8:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Good luck on that. Those fools can't even patrol Calgary adequately. How are they going to deal with a much rougher and violent city?
The Guardian Angels in Winnipeg will be Winnipeggers.

They recruit locally, train them and then leave.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 12:44 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:

Sorry, but Calgary is now pretty much as "violent and rough" as Winnipeg. Same for Edmonton. Albertan's seem to be determine to be #1 at everything, well now they can take a crack at this.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Sep 19, 2007 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 2:06 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The Guardian Angels in Winnipeg will be Winnipeggers.

They recruit locally, train them and then leave.
Calgary has been seeing regular murders the last few months ... not to burst your bubble but the Calgary murder rate is eclipsing Winnipeg, may even pass Edmonton as murder capital of the nation.... I have also witnessed an increased amount violence in public areas over the last 6-12 months. Calgary needs help in policing the high crime areas.. especially those areas in the downtown.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Sorry, but Calgary is now pretty much as "violent and rough" as Winnipeg. Same for Edmonton. Albertan's seem to be determine to be #1 at everything, well now they can take a crack at this.
Having lived most of my life in Winnipeg, and the last couple of years in Calgary, I can tell you that Winnipeg is much worse when it comes to crime and violence. Edmonton and Winnipeg are similiar, but Calgary is tame in comparison.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 8:29 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Having lived most of my life in Winnipeg, and the last couple of years in Calgary, I can tell you that Winnipeg is much worse when it comes to crime and violence. Edmonton and Winnipeg are similiar, but Calgary is tame in comparison.
I agree. Just in terms of atmosphere thing are a lot better in Calgary.

In Winnipeg the murders are people sitting in their car getting shot at point blank for no reason or a group of punks stabbing some guy walking down the street for his wallet or jacket.

In Calgary the murders seem to be less random and affect those involved in gang or drug trafficking activities.

Keep in mind that Calgary also has 50% more people than Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 9:25 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
In Winnipeg the murders are people sitting in their car getting shot at point blank for no reason or a group of punks stabbing some guy walking down the street for his wallet or jacket.

In Calgary the murders seem to be less random and affect those involved in gang or drug trafficking activities.

Sorry - but I have to call BS on this one h0twired.

Murders are generally not any more random here than anywhere else, Calgary included. That guy sitting in his car, shot point blank that you point out - that was drug related.

Perhaps you would like to back up your claims of rampant "random" murders in Winnipeg with some proof - and at the same time investigate those in Calgary a little more.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 9:38 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
I agree. Just in terms of atmosphere thing are a lot better in Calgary.

I read an article few days ago in the National Post about "random" crime being out of control in Calgary.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan