HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 6:26 PM

Was out at YVR this week for a pick-up and was a bit early, took a drive down the north arm road and noticed the new alignment of the road is already near complete. I didn't know it was that far along (or even started for that matter). YVR is going to be able to get its industrial developments on that side going pretty soon. I'd imagine given their proximity the airport, Vancouver and the 99 they will be a hot commodity.

Also over on A.net a rumour of a rather colourful airline considering launching Vancouver...
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/busines...e-4721748.html

I could see a 3xPW YVR-SGN making a lot of sense as a launch, looking to build the route to daily over time. VN would be smart to get in soon while the Chinese airlines are still handcuffed and AC has no planes to launch the route.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
if Westjet can do Calgary><FCO even seasonally, surely YVR><FCO would work, even seasonally.
WestJet is using Calgary as a mini super connector, while AC does that for Europe from Toronto. WestJet also has a contract with at least one of the cruise operators, and that has helped buy a big bunch of capacity to Europe on their planes to de-risk the flights. It isn't as simple as O&D.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
WestJet is using Calgary as a mini super connector, while AC does that for Europe from Toronto. WestJet also has a contract with at least one of the cruise operators, and that has helped buy a big bunch of capacity to Europe on their planes to de-risk the flights. It isn't as simple as O&D.
Thank you for the clarification. / It is just too bad that Vancouver cannot be fitted in on a route to FCO ... somehow. // I guess that's hoping for too much.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. / It is just too bad that Vancouver cannot be fitted in on a route to FCO ... somehow. // I guess that's hoping for too much.
I don't know man I'd rather YYC had an IST flight like YVR rather than FCO lol

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:21 PM

I would assume the next new route to Europe from YVR would be either BCN or FCO, but new routes to Europe from YVR seem incredibly low in ACs priority list. Even if we do get a frame for Europe flying, I'd think AC takes a run at CDG again rather than launching a new route.

We may get some love from ITA if the Lufthansa merger happens, but that is still a ways off if it even goes forward.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
There are definitely more than a few routes I'm happy YVR has over FCO, but that is still a nice one, and a route I'm sure YVR could support which is probably the source of the longing... that and always wanting what we don't already have!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 11:19 PM

I personally don't think we will see any new European destinations for the time being. If anything, we will continue to get incremental frequency/aircraft upgauges both in summer and winter season (AF is daily 787 throughout W24, compared to 5 weekly W23, and BA bringing back LGW services a few weeks earlier and increasing from 6x weekly last summer to daily this summer).

It's a shame AC dropped YVR-ZRH, but I guess Edelweiss is picking up the slack. The real kicker is if we can begin to sustain European routes year round or continue increasing frequencies, ex. YVR-MUC while SEA-MUC is already year round *sigh*; YVR-ZRH & YVR-DUB year round, or FI increasing YVR-KEF from 4x weekly as another example.

Across the Pacific, on some days Philippine and EVA are upgauging aircraft to YVR in S24 to HD 77W, along with Korean, Fiji and ZIPAIR frequency increases.

Me personally, I just want some eye-popping news like Seattle has been getting lately, such as getting 3 new airlines on TPE + MNL expansion this winter. Hopefully it comes in the form of VN announcing SGN-YVR...fingers crossed.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Speaking of this, I saw on the Canada Airport thread that TK applied and was given one extra weekly frequency to YYZ this summer bringing YYZ-IST to 7/wk. I wonder if Turkish would consider doing the same for YVR since IMO YVR can definitely sustain more than that (TK sends their 77Ws here as proof of that, also TK is Star Alliance), or also TK petitioning the Canadian govt for rights to YYC.

I wonder if one of the reasons why TK increased SEA to 10 weekly was because of some spillage from YVR on days that IST-YVR does not operate.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 12:01 AM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenf View Post
Me personally, I just want some eye-popping news like Seattle has been getting lately, such as getting 3 new airlines on TPE + MNL expansion this winter. Hopefully it comes in the form of VN announcing SGN-YVR...fingers crossed.
Yes! I too want some of those "eye-popping new routes" you mention. / First off, don't we have the market to make Munich year-round? Then, regarding ZRH, would Swiss Air Lines be interested in that, do you think? And could / would they make it year-round?
// YVR's European roster is mostly in NW Europe, Britain, and Alpine Europe (MUC, ZRH). // LeftCoaster mentioned BCN. Great. But wouldn't that only be summer seasonal? Could we have crack at Lisbon, even if only seasonally at first. (If AC wouldn't, maybe TAP would.)
// YVR seems to wait for AC to initiate routes, like CDG (especially when AF seems to be making a real success out of that one). // I mentioned the current concentration of Euro-destinations being in NW Europe and Britain. I would so love a route announcement for one (hopefully more) Southern European destinations. (Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Athens ...)
Oh, and regarding VN coming to town later on, they are apparently equally considering SEA-TAC as well, so they are still outpacing us in most areas, the only region currently in the purview of YVR being Oceania, with Fiji, Auckland, Brsbane, Sydney, and perhaps one magic day, Melbourne once again. (SFO and LAX have all that, but except for holiday oriented PPT, SEA has none of Australia-NZ .... yet)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Yes! I too want some of those "eye-popping new routes" you mention. / First off, don't we have the market to make Munich year-round? Then, regarding ZRH, would Swiss Air Lines be interested in that, do you think? And could / would they make it year-round?
// YVR's European roster is mostly in NW Europe, Britain, and Alpine Europe (MUC, ZRH). // LeftCoaster mentioned BCN. Great. But wouldn't that only be summer seasonal? Could we have crack at Lisbon, even if only seasonally at first. (If AC wouldn't, maybe TAP would.)
// YVR seems to wait for AC to initiate routes, like CDG (especially when AF seems to be making a real success out of that one). // I mentioned the current concentration of Euro-destinations being in NW Europe and Britain. I would so love a route announcement for one (hopefully more) Southern European destinations. (Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Athens ...)
Oh, and regarding VN coming to town later on, they are apparently equally considering SEA-TAC as well, so they are still outpacing us in most areas, the only region currently in the purview of YVR being Oceania, with Fiji, Auckland, Brsbane, Sydney, and perhaps one magic day, Melbourne once again. (SFO and LAX have all that, but except for holiday oriented PPT, SEA has none of Australia-NZ .... yet)
I think MUC year round is a matter of when, not if. I think I mentioned somewhere before that YVR-MUC was year round in W22 at 3 weekly...why that was the case I have no idea. Especially since we have daily MUC service for seven months of the year and no service for the other five, I hope year round comes soon, I feel like 3 weekly would suffice like in W22.

As for ZRH, since Edelweiss as Swiss's leisure subsidiary, has committed to flying their A350s here starting next year, I fear ZRH will remain summer seasonal for the time being since they are establishing their leisure carrier here for the peak summer months. If Swiss thought that YVR was a more premium/business market with year round demand, they would put their A330s more consistently throughout the year, instead of running daily A350s for 2 1/2 months. Last year however they did use lower capacity Swiss A330s for a few weeks in July. Such is the seasonality of the Canadian aviation market.

Like MUC, YVR-MEL on AC is just a matter of time. AC has said it themselves that they are looking to return.

It also doesn't help that a lot of YVR-originating passengers transit through Calgary onto WestJet 787s to Europe, a lot of our demand goes through there. I believe WS is extending BCN flights later into November. Those flights are very popular, likely stimulated by connecting traffic (a good chunk from YVR/lower mainland/rest of BC I presume!!!)

Hopefully when the hail mary AC B78X come online, and AC A333s stick around then maybe AC could launch seasonal YVR-BCN/FCO. But that would be 2 years away at least.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 11:38 AM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Thank you for that clarification. It helped me fill in a lot of gaps. We just have to wait it out, and then, as you imply, something will "give," and we will get a couple of those routes we wanted.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I'd think AC takes a run at CDG again rather than launching a new route.
I was not aware that AC used to fly nonstop to Paris.

I wonder if AC would rather continue to route people through Montreal and Toronto and keep those loads high.

I'd prefer the nonstop, and yet wonder what AC might consider optimal for itself.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenf View Post
I think MUC year round is a matter of when, not if.
I agree. Both YUL (LH) and YYZ (AC, + summer seasonal LH) have year round to MUC, and year round YVR would make sense as well.

Honestly, converting a lot of these summer seasonal routes to year round should be more of a priority for YVR, if you ask me, than getting new service.

Quote:
Canada-Turkey bilateral is maxed out on the Turkish end.

They are limited to 9x weekly frequencies east of the Ontario/Manitoba border, and 3x weekly west (stupid, if you ask me, but it is what it is.) This being said, if that restriction wasn't there, they could very well have used all 12x frequencies to YYZ/YUL. The latest (temporary) increase at YYZ is proof they want more access out east.

You'll see TK daily at each of YYZ, YUL and YVR before you see them launching YYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I was not aware that AC used to fly nonstop to Paris.
They tried it one stop via YUL in 2009 (and maybe once before that as well). Didn't last long. Then the route came back as non stop in 2018, but was cut during the pandemic and never came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I wonder if AC would rather continue to route people through Montreal and Toronto and keep those loads high.
That seems to be their strategy.

YUL-CDG will be triple daily for 3 days a week during peak summer this year.

https://canadianaviationnews.ca/more...th-air-canada/

TS is doing the same. Coupled with AF at 4x daily, and that's insane capacity on YUL-Paris for S24.

17x weekly AC
17x weekly TS
28x weekly AF
7x weekly SS (ORY)

That's an average of almost 10 flights a day in peak summer. It might even be 11 daily on certain days, assuming they all operate at peak that day. It is the Olympics in Paris this year as well.

Once AC gets those A321XLRs and 78Xs, I can see YVR-ZRH and CDG returning, plus maybe even FCO.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Apr 26, 2024 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Today, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Isn’t AS just adjusting PDX to summer seasonal? There doesn’t seem to be any indication it is axed for good.

Anyway AS will be 7 daily this summer including the return of mainline 737s to SEA all other flights on E75s (including the daily PDX).
AC maintaining 4 daily to PDX this summer
YVR-PDX on AS currently schedule to return on Mar 19, 2025 for the S25 season.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure