HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 2:36 PM

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 2:50 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
So is it grey, or will it have a pinkish hue? (I re-ordered them, hopefully in the right counter-clockwise view direction) ... TheRitsman beat me to the punch.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 3:09 PM

a reminder that this is the kind of stuff that IN8 puts up in kitchener - one can only hope that City Centre will turn out a bit better. This project sure as hell doesn't look like it will be:

https://www.waterlooregionconnected....d=1146&page=85

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
So is it grey, or will it have a pinkish hue? (I re-ordered them, hopefully in the right counter-clockwise view direction) ... TheRitsman beat me to the punch.

Thank you both! Need to find time / attend remedial class to make those links from Twitter come over with renders

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 4:29 PM

This building will blend into the sky on cloudy days and it looks like there will be no saving of any portion of the church other then a small token wall. The pic from Kitchener does not inspire confidence in me for something decent but I do love the density, the angled balconies and most of its massing. A little better facade and some colour will make this a great project instead of meah.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:40 PM

I just downloaded the pictures and uploaded to imgur. I trust imgur to keep photos up longer than I trust Twitter or photobucket or wherever.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:08 PM
Hamilton Historian

lol yay - balconies that are 90% useless because of heir triangular shape..

still at least that element of is is a somewhat unique look

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 1:01 AM
Forever forward.

This is embarrassingly bad in concept and I bet will be agonizingly bad in execution. A site with great potential, completely squandered by utterly dreadful architecture — absolutely shameful, no way around it.

I measured some of the balconies. Not only are the triangle balconies useless, a lot of the others are hardly any better:

I will, for posterity's sake if for no other reason, bring forward these elevation and two more renders of the "heritage retention" component:

North Elevation

South Elevation

East Elevation

West Elevation

Heritage Retention Elevation

Heritage Retention Rendering

Finally, bringing forward a table from the planning response document. A proposal that has been with the City for exactly two years and one day (during a housing crisis) that has seen the density cut and cut and cut, the overall units cut, and the unit breakdown skew increasingly towards smaller units:

I do believe in credit where credit is due, though, and on this project it's due in two places:

- the number of parking stalls decreased from 234 to 139 (excellent!); and

- the commercial space proposed is a bright spot with five separate spaces that are sized well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 1:48 AM
It's Hammer Time

‘Handshake deal’ leads to condo project at west Hamilton church site
Heritage committee doesn’t want Grace Lutheran to be demolished

By Teviah Moro
Spectator Reporter
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...reet-west.html

About 60 years ago, two neighbouring congregations in west Hamilton made a “handshake deal” over their respective properties.

That handshake gave Adas Israel first right of refusal to buy Grace Evangelical Lutheran should it ever decide to sell and vice versa.

And so a few years ago, when Grace Lutheran decided to pull up stakes, the synagogue to its south made a move, says Harvey Katz, an Adas board member.

The synagogue partnered with a trusted developer to ensure that housing would be built on the nearby property, says Katz, also a lawyer.

“There’s a big need for community housing — like, big time.”

The “fabulous proximity” of the site would allow Sabbath observers to walk to the Cline Avenue South synagogue, he noted. The Hebrew academy is right there, too.

As for Grace Lutheran, faced with a dwindling numbers and planning to merge with other congregations, the $7.5-million sale made sense. The church also supported the idea of having housing on the site.

“We knew that our time there was over, so we specifically wanted to sell to the Adas for that purpose,” Rev. Loretta Jaunzarins said.

Now, with more than one development partner in the mix, a 15-storey building that will welcome residents of all credos is planned for 1107 Main St. W.

But for that, the small, grey church that was built with a gable roof in 1959 must go. And the city’s heritage advisory committee isn’t pleased.

“It really is a shame,” committee member Janice Brown said. “It is a perfectly fine building.”

In February, the committee recommended listing Grace Lutheran on the city’s heritage register and adding it to the work plan for designation.

If backed by the planning committee and council, placement on the register would give the building a 60-day buffer against demolition, while designation under provincial legislation offers stronger protection.

The “beautiful building” has plenty of history in the west end neighbourhood and shouldn’t be torn down, committee member Graham Carroll said.

“And I think it can be saved and incorporated, if a little bit of tiny effort was actually put into doing so.”

The plan calls for some of the grey stone to be featured on the condo’s exterior while its facade and stained glass would be showcased as part of a garden.

But incorporating more, let alone saving it altogether, isn’t feasible, says Darryl Firsten, president of IN8 Developments, a project partner with Westdale Construction.

“The first fundamental problem is this building is smack dab in the middle of the site.”

He said townhouses could be built around the church on the 1.28-acre site, which also includes a 1970 addition.

“But that’s not what society in Hamilton needs right now. We need a lot of housing, not a few houses.”

The province forecasts the city will see an influx of 236,000 people by 2051. Council, meanwhile, has chosen to hold the urban boundary firm, increasing the need for more density in the built-up area.

Some churches, but not all, can be saved, said Firsten, who also plans to tear down Hamilton City Centre, next to Jackson Square, to build a multi-tower, mixed-use building.

“As a society, we have to do a little balancing act here. We’re in an extreme housing shortage. What is our priority here?”

The heritage committee, along with community advocates, has also fought for the preservation of St. Giles United Church, a vacant more-than-century-old sanctuary on Main Street East that its owner, New Vision United, wants to demolish for housing.

Others, including non-profit Indwell in Hamilton, are incorporating churches into housing, Brown noted.

“There’s got to be something better,” she said, referring to Grace Lutheran.

The project needs council approvals for zoning and official plan amendments, which Firsten hopes will happen this spring.

The project, with units including a range of bedroom counts and commercial space, would be located along the future LRT route, a corridor designated for higher density.

Other taller buildings are in the works, including a McMaster student residence that will also reach 15 storeys a few hundred metres to the west.

Coun. Maureen Wilson, who represents Ward 1, declined to comment on the Grace Lutheran project before considering staff’s recommendations.

But with transit, there is “both the yin and the yang,” said Wilson, describing its symbiotic relationship with housing.

“It is optimal when there is density in and around it because that’s ridership, and then those people get to enjoy that immediacy.”

Congregants gathered in Grace Lutheran’s pews for the last time in March 2020, just as the pandemic took hold. This past July, they joined Trinity Lutheran downtown on Hughson Street North.

“It was a lovely place,” Jaunzarins said. “It was great, but my attitude is that you have to move on.”

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 3:43 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 4:46 PM

Been getting ads for this like crazy. Also a site plan was posted recently "DA-23-003"

Slightly fewer units 265 residential. Retail space has been reduced to 563mÂČ. Increase to 189 parking stalls, which I'm not pleased about being right beside LRT.

Last edited by TheRitsman; Dec 6, 2022 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 3:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

For a while, there's been a big sign advertising the condo sale on the property. Now there's another new big sign at the front of the former church.

I'd imagine they'll use the church as a sales centre.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 11:57 AM

Reallyyyy selling to investors, not even pretending this is for residents lol. I have no issues, but I just thought the marketing was funny, describing high rents and increasing rents as a good thing, which most would typically associate as a bad thing.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 12:47 PM

My guess: investors will purchase the units and rent to students, turning this into an off-campus student building

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 2:28 PM

Points for transparency? Haha.

That's going to resonate well with the city. Funny since they're in charge of the most important build in the city, the new city centre. Still hoping they flip that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton