HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Millionth Ottawan

Not sure if this merits its own thread, but Jim Watson has just said that Ottawa will reach a population of 1 million people at the end of this week.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:22 PM
Mooderator

I remember a similar story when the metro area reached one million.. I think it was 1996?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 4:54 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure if this merits its own thread, but Jim Watson has just said that Ottawa will reach a population of 1 million people at the end of this week.
Does the lucky baby get the keys to the city or something?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Does the lucky baby get the keys to the city or something?
They'll get a rainbow trout free meal at the shawarma place of their choice and a gold disc of Breakfast in America

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
They'll get a rainbow trout free meal at the shawarma place of their choice and a gold disc of Breakfast in America
The city will also allow a second Shopper's Drug Mart on the nearest corner to the baby's house for extra convenience.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:48 PM

And Claridge will erect an architecually stunning condo in honour of the occasion and use the leftover bricks for the baby's first home?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:22 PM

The city of Ottawa staff calculate population by housing starts times average household size and the vacancy rate. Stats Canada July 1st 2018 for Ontario part of metro Ottawa is 1,074,524. if you subtract Russell, North Grenville and Clarence-Rockland around 60,000 people Ottawa past a million last summer.???

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 8:27 PM
Mooderator

^ that number might have been adjusted downward. It was an estimate.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I remember a similar story when the metro area reached one million.. I think it was 1996?
You are correct for the national capital region of Ottawa-Gatineau which hit 1m in 1996... the metro area now sits at ~1.4m. The city of Ottawa will hit 1m this month although stats Canada says that happened last year

July 1, 2018 estimate for Ottawa Gatineau was 1.414m

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail.../t001b-eng.htm

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 12:36 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgera View Post
You are correct for the national capital region of Ottawa-Gatineau which hit 1m in 1996... the metro area now sits at ~1.4m. The city of Ottawa will hit 1m this month although stats Canada says that happened last year

July 1, 2018 estimate for Ottawa Gatineau was 1.414m

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail.../t001b-eng.htm
Thanks sgera, I don't know why I remember this 1996 fact but I can't remember where I left my keys!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 1:11 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Canada in one city: A new slogan for our million-strong capital

Bruce Deachman, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: June 15, 2019

Following such dizzying and electrifying slogans as “Ottawa-Advance” and “Technically beautiful,” Ottawa has yet another motto — or “place brand” as it’s being billed: “Canada in one city.”

The announcement on Friday came as the city’s population officially crested the one-million mark, placing it up there with Toronto, Montreal and Calgary in, as Mayor Jim Watson said, “a different league of North American cities and gives us more recognition around the world.”

“We really are a microcosm of the whole country,” Watson added of the new slogan, without getting into some of the finer details such as oceans, the Great Lakes, wide-open prairies, the Rocky Mountains or arctic tundra, never mind an aquarium, planetarium, rapid transit, Gordon Lightfoot or an NBA championship.

“We have a rural countryside, a vibrant suburban and downtown,” he continued. “We’ve got a very multicultural community, a bilingual city, so I think we really reflect what you see in a lot of other cities all in one city right here in our nation’s capital.”

An almost interminable video (four minutes 45 seconds, but you try watching the whole thing) by Ottawa Tourism and posted on the canadainonecity.ca website elaborates on the theme and identifies some of Ottawa’s most favourable characteristics: A caring community. Bilingual and slow-paced. We “welcome newcomers and visitors into that intangible experience — the joy of living.”

“Ottawa,” it adds, “is where you can connect with Canada’s soul.”

And, above all, we’re agreeable. According to the video, the city’s (trademarked) Place DNA shows us to be 50 per cent “Agreeable,” nearly 20 per cent “Extravert” (their spelling mistake, unless that’s a new term for, like, super-green), and the remaining 30 per cent split fairly evenly between “Conscientious,” “Open to experience” and “Neurotic.”

Our “story,” meanwhile, is defined, like an artist’s mellifluous vision statement in a Canada Council grant application, as “a cohesive articulation of the holistic experience that a destination provides through a person’s interaction with the place that clearly conveys the distinctiveness.”

Indeed. So it’s not just potholes, sinkholes and OC Transpo bus schedules seemingly drawn up in crayon and based on algorithms related to the universe’s vast vacuum of nothingness and the price of celery.

Public reaction to the slogan has been mixed, with the lion’s share of comments on various websites mocking or criticizing it. “Arrogant and ignorant,” one said, while another person noted that Ottawa could hardly boast the diversity of Vancouver or Calgary.

“Congrats on the millionth person,” one Calgarian tweeted. “Calgary had that about a decade ago … the slogan is not appreciated, I disagree. Our LRT has been running for decades on 4 lines … how’s your’s doing?”

At least one person described it as “Brilliant!” while another remarked “THE CITY CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS. STOP BEING COMPLACENT.” Another, meanwhile, offered a compromise by merely shifting the words: “Ottawa — one city in Canada.”

bdeachman@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...strong-capital

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 2:49 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

The blowhard from Calgary was cute... and somehow unsurprising.

His's grammar could use some work though.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 3:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
The blowhard from Calgary was cute... and somehow unsurprising.

His's grammar could use some work though.
Totally stupid actually. The stuff he refers to is unrelated to the notion of "Canada in one city".

The criticism in the article is stupid as well

It is a slogan not a dictionary definition.

As microcosms of Canada go, Ottawa is a pretty decent one.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 4:21 AM
Closed account

Quote:
As microcosms of Canada go, Ottawa is a pretty decent one.
I might almost call it the definitive one - I can't think of another city that comes anywhere close to an accurate microcosm of this country as the nation's capital - I guess this means it is succeeding?

About 3/4 English, 1/4 French in the region. Enough recent immigration to show how Canada is changing in the late-20th and early 21st centuries, but definitely has enough 'old stock' Canadians to reflect the areas of the country that haven't changed as much.

From a cultural comparison point-of-view: Pleasant, but relatively bland. Somewhere you could settle down, have a decent life, raise some kids and be quite happy. Vegas or New York it isn't, but that's not a bad thing. Clean and orderly, but not terribly memorable for either good or bad reasons, aside from the winter weather, which is not that great. Still searching for its soul in the face of its larger, more distinctive competitor cities (and countries). Compared to many places, quite young and still has the ethos of the 20th century in its layout and thinking.

One man's ramblings, I suppose.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:

The criticism in the article is stupid as well.
I dunno, I thought “[Ottawa]’s not just potholes, sinkholes and OC Transpo bus schedules seemingly drawn up in crayon and based on algorithms related to the universe’s vast vacuum of nothingness and the price of celery” was pretty clever.

“Ottawa, one city in Canada” has a very This is That ring to it, that I appreciate.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I dunno, I thought “[Ottawa]’s not just potholes, sinkholes and OC Transpo bus schedules seemingly drawn up in crayon and based on algorithms related to the universe’s vast vacuum of nothingness and the price of celery” was pretty clever.

“Ottawa, one city in Canada” has a very This is That ring to it, that I appreciate.
Those urban problems are hardly unique to Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:58 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
“a cohesive articulation of the holistic experience that a destination provides through a person’s interaction with the place that clearly conveys the distinctiveness.”
Clear as mud.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Clear as mud.
I dare someone to describe Ottawa in those terms at the Prescott or Don Cherry's.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Don't forget the GoodLife bag and the office ID/proxcard lanyard.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:51 AM

As a kid from the sticks- I gotta say Ottawa is the closest thing to a microcosm of Canada you can find!

Great tag line.

Though the marketing video could have been crafted better

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion