HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Can someone tell me why Corktown doesn't have a giant 50-foot wine cork built in the middle of it?

I mean, wouldn't that keep that neighborhood's name honest with itself?

XD
I would be tickled if as a piece of public art a project in Corktown were to include a little pavilion containing an enclosed scale model of the neighbourhood with all the buildings made from cork that would be periodically updated with new buildings.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 8:52 PM

The name comes from immigrants arriving from Ireland, who left from the Port of Cork and were clustered & worked in the Corktown area.

But yeah a big giant Cork would get people's attention, maybe stick it on Augusta.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 9:28 PM
Hamilton Historian

I wonder how durable cork is as a building material.. you'd have to farm a lot of cork trees lol..

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 10:51 PM

Cork is used for flooring. So it's pretty durable.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 12:03 AM

i definitely agree that Augusta (and many other hoods in the city) could use sculptures or water features ... some sort of focal/gathering points. points of interest... photo moments
etc.
its time that Hamilton start thinking like a big kid/adult
the cork idea is actually brilliant ... something you'd probably see in Boston or Philli
or Ireland for that matter

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 12:19 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
i definitely agree that Augusta (and many other hoods in the city) could use sculptures or water features ... some sort of focal/gathering points. points of interest... photo moments
etc.
its time that Hamilton start thinking like a big kid/adult
the cork idea is actually brilliant ... something you'd probably see in Boston or Philli
or Ireland for that matter
They'd be taken over by camps and needles..

More fountains would be nice though. This IS the city of waterfalls - we should have more water elements. maybe the underground rivers could even power them hehehe...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 1:07 AM

All we get are kroetschvilles

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:53 AM

I just saw that the pharmacy/clinic has relocated, which means the plaza is now completely vacant. I wonder if demolition is imminent?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 3:36 PM
Forever forward.

There's a sign in the window of the Subway announcing that they're moving down a block and a half to 155 John Street South, across from the GO Centre and gas station. No exact date given for when they leave, though.

Once they're gone, all tenants on the property are gone to the best of my knowledge and hopefully work will commence shortly after. I don't believe the construction is planned to be phased (didn't look like it from the most recent set of plans I've seen, dated 8 September 2022) so they may need to sell the second building before construction, though. Will have to wait and see!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 5:39 PM

Interesting. With Subway going in there maybe the rest of the building gets fixed up.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 6:44 PM

Interesting the Subway move to 155 John St S, as the Paper Crane local has something going on with renovations.

The old Gallagher's has been stuck in reno limbo for a year and a bit now. Not sure what/who is taking that over but appears to be another Pub. If and when that happens plus the Cat coming back, Augusta really has its own vibe and more options (albeit different styles) than King William with Plank and the new huge Italian restaurant coming to the last CU build under construction.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 10:16 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
There's a sign in the window of the Subway announcing that they're moving down a block and a half to 155 John Street South, across from the GO Centre and gas station.
Seems like a poor location for them as that unit has narrow stairs to get inside and is not wheelchair accessible.

Glad this property is closing in on the start date though, excited to see this one built!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 1:50 PM

Slate is having some kind of event next week with updates on this project and their Steelport project. From their email:

Quote:
Join award-winning developer Slate Asset Management for a showcase of our investment in the City of Hamilton, highlighting Steelport and Corktown.

Founding Partner of Slate Asset Management Blair Welch and members of the Slate team will reveal new information and renderings for Steelport and Corktown. Riz Dhanji, President of RAD Marketing, will offer new incentives to residential brokers for Corktown, our residential project now selling!

Date: October 11, 2023
Parking: Available on-site; access on Gage Avenue North

Schedule:

11:30am - Suggested Arrival
12:00pm - Formal Program, Presentation
12:30-2pm - Food Truck Lunch

Speakers:

Blair Welch (Founding Parter, Slate)
Brandon Donnelly (Managing Director, Development)
Steven Dejonckheere (Senior Vice President, Development)
Riz Dhanji (President, RAD Marketing)

Refreshments will be provided. This is an outdoor event hosted in a tent on a roughly paved surface; comfortable footwear is strongly recommended.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 10:37 PM

Scale model from their showroom.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 11:13 PM

Seems odd they would close the plaza when phase 1 doesn't appear to require it's demolition.

I also just generally think the phasing for this is odd considering the Design District was essentially able to start all 3 of its much larger project at once.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 11:18 PM

Huh? The phase 1 tower is at the southeast corner of the site directly atop the plaza. Even if it was located on the parking lot, not a lot of retailers would want to operate behind a massive construction site with 0 visibility from the street.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 11:19 PM

Pretty sure it does require the demolition. I believe this Phase 1 tower sits at the corner of Forest and Catharine. The white boxes you see in that model are the other phases, not the existing building.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Pretty sure it does require the demolition. I believe this Phase 1 tower sits at the corner of Forest and Catharine. The white boxes you see in that model are the other phases, not the existing building.
Ah, I was mistaken on which corner was being shown and what the grey boxes meant.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton