HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 1:44 PM

Much like facadism, blaming the owner for neglect and the city for not acting after a collapse is wrong headed. Our society needs to be better at ensuring proper maintenance of a heritage listed property, rather than trying to provide life support after a collapse. Until we're better at encouraging maintenance, this is going to keep happening. And maintenance can only be afforded to the extra-rich landlords such as governments, and even they are not good at it.

Anyways, ranting aside, I've no doubt that compounding deterioration from years of neglect caused the collapse.

However in times like these, why bother trying to preserve the structure intact, especially given our facadism society?

Why not disassemble the entire thing, restore the mansard tin, and let someone build a new building with a stone facade and the mansard and bing bang boom nobody's any the wiser.

As an added benefit, you'd get the opportunity to actually restore the stone components, instead of those ridiculous concrete-encapsulated window lintels on the 1st floor, and create an accessible front entrance.

The total cost of preserving those heritage elements in new build is probably between $400-800k, and allowing a developer to actually make money by building something new behind would ensure it gets done.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 1:59 PM

I'm usually a staunch opposer of facadism, but in this case, I agree it's the best way forward.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 9:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Architect owner of Magee House fights for papers as regulator notes concerns over partial collapse

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Apr 12, 2021 • 14 minutes ago • 4 minute read

The architect who owns the mangled Magee House has been fighting to have his working papers reinstated, with the courts recently delivering him a win as the heritage building in Hintonburg still faces an uncertain future.

A divisional court decision issued in March didn’t force the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) to reinstate Ovidio Sbrissa’s certificate of practice, but he believes the provincial regulator for the profession has no choice after a three-judge panel set aside the OAA’s decision.

“The OAA came at me and I won my case,” Sbrissa said in an interview on Monday. “I’ve survived the slings and arrows of public outcry.”

It’s another chapter in the mess surrounding the Magee House on Wellington Street West, one of the oldest buildings in Ottawa, after the west wall crumbled on July 24, 2018. No one was hurt that day, but the old stone building, which is more than 140 years old, is still out of commission.

Buried in the court file is one piece of new information regarding the Magee House drama: Sbrissa saw a crack in the wall weeks before the collapse happened.

Sbrissa applied to have his licence and certificate of practice reinstated in 2019 after they were suspended for non-payment of administrative fees. The OAA registrar declined to issue the licence. After a hearing, the OAA’s registration committee issued him a conditional licence, but not a certificate of practice. Sbrissa appealed to divisional court.

Architects can only provide services to the public if they have a certificate of practice, along with their licence. Without the certificate, licensed architects must practise under the supervision of another architect who has a certificate.

During the OAA registration committee hearing, Sbrissa said he noticed a crack in the same wall that failed about one month before the collapse but he didn’t contact a structural engineer to monitor it. The committee, in its decision, said “maintenance of the building also seems to have been lacking.”

The registrar testified that one of the reasons why she declined to issue a licence and certificate of practice to Sbrissa was for “the protection of the public,” seeing that he was living and working in a building where a wall collapsed along a public thoroughfare. The registrar, watching the happenings in Ottawa from afar, said she believed the historical building was left to decay or was not maintained.

According to the statement of fact submitted by Sbrissa in the court case, Sbrissa saw from the outside a diagonal crack developing and “a slight bulge in the wall” that he monitored to make sure there was no further deterioration. He also noted “there were no significant cracks or structural failures” before the day the wall collapsed that led him to conclude the building was unsafe.

In the interview with this newspaper on Monday, Sbrissa bristled at accusations that he didn’t maintain the building. He also said the crack on the wall didn’t pose concern because the plane of the wall didn’t shift outward.

According to the registration committee’s decision, Sbrissa “lacked professional decorum when dealing with the municipal authority and the media with respect to the building collapse and related issues.”

Sbrissa, during the interview, acknowledged that he might have been salty with authorities, considering emotions were running high after his building partially collapsed and the city took emergency precautions to stabilize the structure and protect people travelling on Wellington Street.

After considering all the evidence, the OAA registration committee couldn’t say what caused the Magee House wall to collapse or whether Sbrissa should have known it was going to fail.

While the registration committee’s decision noted the strife between the OAA and Sbrissa over a number of years, including multiple instances of non-payment of fees, he said the administrative issues have nothing to do with his work as an architect.

The court found Sbrissa didn’t get a fair hearing in front of the OAA registration committee.

The OAA should decide if it needs to have further proceedings regarding Sbrissa’s application for a certificate to practice, the court ruled. If there are no proceedings, it would appear Sbrissa should receive the certificate, the court decision said.

The court also ordered the OAA to pay $10,000 toward Sbrissa’s legal costs.

It wasn’t clear if the OAA will hold more proceedings on the matter of Sbrissa’s certificate of practice or give him the certificate, as he believes he’s owed.

The OAA said it couldn’t comment since the matter is ongoing.

A spat between Sbrissa and the city continues over the cause of the collapse and the city’s remediation work.

The city hired John Cooke and Associates to investigate and the firm concluded a lack of mortar in the stone wall and water penetration led to the wall collapse. During a built-heritage subcommittee meeting at city hall, Cooke said the building needed major restoration decades ago.

Sbrissa didn’t accept Cooke’s findings, arguing that the “dry wall” was designed to not have mortar. He blamed vibrations from nearby construction work over the years for harming the integrity of the wall and he hired his own experts to investigate.

Today, the future of the Magee House is up in the air.

Sbrissa, 74, said if he can’t sell the building, he’ll restore it, though the renovation would depend on insurance money coming through.

He’s also involved in separate lawsuits against the city over the reasons for partial collapse and the city-directed stabilization work on the building.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...rtial-collapse

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Architect owner of Magee House fights for papers as regulator notes concerns over partial collapse

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Apr 12, 2021 • 14 minutes ago • 4 minute read

The architect who owns the mangled Magee House has been fighting to have his working papers reinstated, with the courts recently delivering him a win as the heritage building in Hintonburg still faces an uncertain future.

A divisional court decision issued in March didn’t force the Ontario Association of Architects (OAA) to reinstate Ovidio Sbrissa’s certificate of practice, but he believes the provincial regulator for the profession has no choice after a three-judge panel set aside the OAA’s decision.

“The OAA came at me and I won my case,” Sbrissa said in an interview on Monday. “I’ve survived the slings and arrows of public outcry.”

It’s another chapter in the mess surrounding the Magee House on Wellington Street West, one of the oldest buildings in Ottawa, after the west wall crumbled on July 24, 2018. No one was hurt that day, but the old stone building, which is more than 140 years old, is still out of commission.

Buried in the court file is one piece of new information regarding the Magee House drama: Sbrissa saw a crack in the wall weeks before the collapse happened.

Sbrissa applied to have his licence and certificate of practice reinstated in 2019 after they were suspended for non-payment of administrative fees. The OAA registrar declined to issue the licence. After a hearing, the OAA’s registration committee issued him a conditional licence, but not a certificate of practice. Sbrissa appealed to divisional court.

Architects can only provide services to the public if they have a certificate of practice, along with their licence. Without the certificate, licensed architects must practise under the supervision of another architect who has a certificate.

During the OAA registration committee hearing, Sbrissa said he noticed a crack in the same wall that failed about one month before the collapse but he didn’t contact a structural engineer to monitor it. The committee, in its decision, said “maintenance of the building also seems to have been lacking.”

The registrar testified that one of the reasons why she declined to issue a licence and certificate of practice to Sbrissa was for “the protection of the public,” seeing that he was living and working in a building where a wall collapsed along a public thoroughfare. The registrar, watching the happenings in Ottawa from afar, said she believed the historical building was left to decay or was not maintained.

According to the statement of fact submitted by Sbrissa in the court case, Sbrissa saw from the outside a diagonal crack developing and “a slight bulge in the wall” that he monitored to make sure there was no further deterioration. He also noted “there were no significant cracks or structural failures” before the day the wall collapsed that led him to conclude the building was unsafe.

In the interview with this newspaper on Monday, Sbrissa bristled at accusations that he didn’t maintain the building. He also said the crack on the wall didn’t pose concern because the plane of the wall didn’t shift outward.

According to the registration committee’s decision, Sbrissa “lacked professional decorum when dealing with the municipal authority and the media with respect to the building collapse and related issues.”

Sbrissa, during the interview, acknowledged that he might have been salty with authorities, considering emotions were running high after his building partially collapsed and the city took emergency precautions to stabilize the structure and protect people travelling on Wellington Street.

After considering all the evidence, the OAA registration committee couldn’t say what caused the Magee House wall to collapse or whether Sbrissa should have known it was going to fail.

While the registration committee’s decision noted the strife between the OAA and Sbrissa over a number of years, including multiple instances of non-payment of fees, he said the administrative issues have nothing to do with his work as an architect.

The court found Sbrissa didn’t get a fair hearing in front of the OAA registration committee.

The OAA should decide if it needs to have further proceedings regarding Sbrissa’s application for a certificate to practice, the court ruled. If there are no proceedings, it would appear Sbrissa should receive the certificate, the court decision said.

The court also ordered the OAA to pay $10,000 toward Sbrissa’s legal costs.

It wasn’t clear if the OAA will hold more proceedings on the matter of Sbrissa’s certificate of practice or give him the certificate, as he believes he’s owed.

The OAA said it couldn’t comment since the matter is ongoing.

A spat between Sbrissa and the city continues over the cause of the collapse and the city’s remediation work.

The city hired John Cooke and Associates to investigate and the firm concluded a lack of mortar in the stone wall and water penetration led to the wall collapse. During a built-heritage subcommittee meeting at city hall, Cooke said the building needed major restoration decades ago.

Sbrissa didn’t accept Cooke’s findings, arguing that the “dry wall” was designed to not have mortar. He blamed vibrations from nearby construction work over the years for harming the integrity of the wall and he hired his own experts to investigate.

Today, the future of the Magee House is up in the air.

Sbrissa, 74, said if he can’t sell the building, he’ll restore it, though the renovation would depend on insurance money coming through.

He’s also involved in separate lawsuits against the city over the reasons for partial collapse and the city-directed stabilization work on the building.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...rtial-collapse
Reading his website I'm sure he doesn't worry about such trivial matters as annual fees etc.

Not really sure what his website is all about

http://www.ovidio.ca/history.html

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 5:02 PM

McGee House architect involved in an LPAT file

https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onlpat/...nlii26644.html

Looks like he won the case but he was his own worst enemy if you read it all.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 11:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Magee House saga persists in court years after partial collapse
Owner now vows to represent himself in several lawsuits, but missed court deadline to file motion

Kristy Nease · CBC News
Posted: May 04, 2022 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

When the sudden collapse of a wall left a gaping three-storey hole in a heritage building on trendy Hintonburg's busy main street, the head of the area's BIA said the worst-case scenario would be years of lawsuit limbo.

Nearly four years later, that's exactly what's unfolding. The owner now wants to represent himself in court, but he has missed the deadline to file a motion to do so.

The owner of Magee House, Ovidio Sbrissa, is being sued by the city to recoup what it spent to make the 19th-century building safe after the southwest wall collapsed on July 24, 2018. Sbrissa has also counter-sued the city for what he claims really caused the wall to fail: vibrations from nearby construction projects.

Meanwhile a bank is suing Sbrissa because he stopped paying his mortgage after the collapse, and he's suing the insurance company that denied him coverage after the wall came down.

In early April, after Sbrissa said he could no longer afford his lawyer, the lawyer removed himself from the record and Sbrissa was given 30 days to either file a motion to represent himself or find new counsel. Failing to do so can result in his matters being dismissed and his defences struck out.

That deadline passed over the weekend, and reached by phone Tuesday, Sbrissa says he's still working on the motion and plans to file next week.

Sbrissa intends to defend himself, saying the matter is too technical for lawyers to understand, and simultaneously that no lawyer wants to touch it because it involves the city.

"Needless to say that all of this time that's gone by, the lawyers have really not done much. But they charged a lot, and we're still nowhere," Sbrissa said in an interview in April.

"I want to get to court. I want my day in court. How many more years is it going to take, you know?"

For Sbrissa, everything comes down to this: mortar, the paste that hardens to bind things together in construction, such as bricks and stones.

Engineer John Cooke, who was hired by the city to evaluate the building right after the collapse, contended the wall failed because the mortar holding all the stones together had turned to sand that was pushed down by years of precipitation, turning the place into "basically a house of cards."

But Sbrissa contends there was never any mortar to begin with; that it's a Celtic dry stone wall with some mortar on the outside just to keep the wind out, like chinking on a traditional log cabin.

After the wall collapsed, Sbrissa's insurance company denied him coverage, citing Cooke's report about the deteriorated mortar. In February 2020, Sbrissa sued his insurance company for $1.3 million, claiming it's in breach of their contract.

On Sept. 3, 2020, the city filed a lawsuit against Sbrissa to get back the $32,000 the city says it spent on demolition work to "terminate the danger [posed by the building] and to protect the public," and also cited Cooke's report.

Days later, Sbrissa fired back with his own lawsuit against the city, seeking $550,000 in damages. Sbrissa alleges "excessive vibrations" from nearby construction were actually to blame for the collapse, and he claims the city was negligent for failing to monitor those vibrations and act to keep them in check.

All suits remain active and none of the allegations has been tested in court.

What will become of the languishing, boarded-up grey stone structure at 1119 Wellington St. W., which Sbrissa calls his "castle in the sky," is an open question.

Sbrissa wants to restore it and maintains that's always been his intention — even after he applied to have what remains torn down (he later backtracked) and then tried to sell the property in 2020. He got a few offers, he says, but rejected them because no one intended to save what's left.

The architect is 75 years old and restoring the heritage structure could take years. He also recently acquired a former train station in Comber, Ont., that he intends to renovate. Is he able to take all of it on?

"Well, I'm pretty young because I just got married at 68. Nothing is impossible. ... But most architects reach their real period of significance when they're in their 70s or 80s," he said.

Does he have the money?

"Not at the moment, but if I win my case in court I'll be in a position to do it. I'm not asking [for] money to get rich. I'm just asking that I get paid enough so I can restore my building to the way it was."

Time will tell. And in all likelihood, it will be some time yet.

Dennis Van Staalduinen, who leads the Wellington West Business Improvement Area, made the original comment when the wall collapsed that years of limbo would be the worst outcome.

He wishes there were a more creative way to deal with the matter, one that would focus on getting heritage structures back into shape and into use instead of assigning blame. Not every developer is created equal, he says, and not everyone who owns a building has the same resources to improve them.

"If we are going to designate heritage properties as we should, what are we as a society and a city going to do to actually help the people who own those properties do the right thing? That's the next policy step that we're not getting to," he says.

"There's no point in having a heritage law at all if it prevents us from saving heritage buildings. ... I couldn't care less about who's to blame. I just want that building working again and functioning as part of the streetscape."

Van Staalduinen says it's on the city, not just the owner, to help salvage buildings like Magee House and Somerset House — another heritage structure that has sat damaged and unused for years as disagreements between its owner and the city rage on.

Magee House timeline

July 24, 2018: The west wall of Magee House partially collapses, and Wellington Street West is closed to traffic in front of the building. The next day Sbrissa tells CBC he likely would have died in the incident, had a neighbour not cajoled him into getting a slice of pizza. (Sbrissa had been living in the building, which the city thought was vacant, for 17 years.)
July 27, 2018: A corner of the remaining structure and part of the roof are demolished after the city's chief building official issues an emergency order. The city says this will allow for a more thorough assessment of the building.
July 31, 2018: Wellington Street West re-opens to vehicle traffic between Sherbrooke and Carruthers avenues. The sidewalk directly in front of the building remains closed to pedestrians and doesn't open again for another year.
Early August 2018: John Cooke, an engineer the city contracted to evaluate Magee House, says the wall's mortar had turned to dust that was pushed down by years of precipitation, leaving "no two stones" held together. He recommends demolishing it altogether or taking it down and rebuilding stone by stone. Sbrissa disagrees, saying vibrations from nearby construction were to blame, and vows to hire his own engineer to contest Cooke's findings.
Mid-August 2018: Martin Topley of Durham Engineering, hired by Sbrissa, concludes in addition to construction mistakes made in 1870 when Magee House was built, seismic shifting caused either by natural or man-made forces caused the collapse. "If you ask me as a professional, it's vibration that probably did it," Topley says. "There had to be something move."
September-December 2018: Sbrissa applies to have what remains torn down and a committee approves the demolition. Sbrissa then changes his mind just two weeks prior to demolition, and a building official later announces Sbrissa must reinforce the building or risk the city demolishing it at Sbrissa's expense.
March 2019: Residents and businesses grow increasingly impatient with the sidewalk closure.
Oct. 18, 2019: The sidewalk in front of Magee House finally reopens nearly 15 months after the collapse.
February 2020: Sbrissa sues his insurance company after it denied him coverage after the collapse.
June 2020: A bank sues Sbrissa for not paying his mortgage after the collapse.
September 2020: The city sues Sbrissa, and he counter-sues the city.
April 2022: Sbrissa's lawyer is removed from the record. Sbrissa is ordered to file a motion to represent himself or hire new counsel within 30 days, or risk his matters being dismissed and any of his defences struck out. Sbrissa misses the deadline.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.6409097

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B]Magee House saga persists in court years after partial collapse
Owner now vows to represent himself in several lawsuits, but missed court deadline to file motion
From the OLT hearing decision on his project to relocate to an old railway station near Windsor Ontario.

Mr. Sbrissa, being the agent for the Applicant in this case, similarly provided little to no evidence regarding land use planning and, despite many warnings by the Tribunal, continued to speak against the character of the Meyer family.

This guy was living in a falling down building and had his OAA license removed. I've never seen any of his designs and he appears to me to a professional contrarian.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 11:33 AM

This and Somerset House are travesties. Cities should have the right to expropriate from such egregious owners for a song.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa