HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 10:08 PM

Rood Family Pavilion

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Nov 25, 2018 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 10:10 PM

Knight Cancer Research Building

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:26 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...171&j=86114891

Quote:
A first peek at the cool new guest house for OHSU Doernbecher families (Photos)
By Elizabeth Hayes – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
2 hours ago

OHSU’s new Rood Family Pavilion will welcome the first group of guests who are in Portland temporarily while their children are treated at OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital.

The new guest house sits in South Waterfront adjacent to the OHSU Center for Health & Healing and a five-minute walk to the aerial tram that connects to the children's hospital up on the hill.

Accommodations are free for families, who must live farther than 30 miles from Portland and who need to remain in the city for an extended stay during their child’s treatment.

The 11-story building includes 38 rooms for families with children and another 38 that will open in April for adults undergoing treatment at OHSU Hospital.
...(continues)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 4:51 PM

Portland Business Journal is reporting that OHSU is starting to plan a parking garage/affordable housing building on the block north of the KCRB. I think it would be block SCB5 next to the Marquam Bridge.

OHSU will be building 1,200 parking spaces in the garage with a developer building the apartments. Expected start is September 2020.

(subscription required) https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...165&j=86410711

Quote:
OHSU plans for the next phase of South Waterfront development
By Elizabeth Hayes – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
3 hours ago

Oregon Health & Science University is in the early stages of planning for a new parking structure and affordable housing on Portland’s South Waterfront, just north of the recently completed Knight Cancer Research Building.
...(continues)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 8:58 PM

OHSU’s commitment to filling a dense urban neighborhood with above ground parking garages is really disappointing.

Great to hear they’re planning affordable housing though.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
OHSU’s commitment to filling a dense urban neighborhood with above ground parking garages is really disappointing.

Great to hear they’re planning affordable housing though.
The thing that gets me is that we were sold on SoWa, a considerable public investment, with the caveat that it simply wouldn't be that accessible by private automobile. What traffic study justifies adding another 1200 parking spaces in an above-ground garage? Is there something I'm missing?

Their first garage is one of my top-3 most-hideous new buildings in the city. It's outrageously bad and, worse, it sticks out like a sore thumb from a distance and appears to have zero relationship to the surrounding architecture in a not-good way. The little up-turned fins on the exterior of the garage, the pinstripe effect on the upper levels, they're, to me, the equivalent of rotating NV's axis and sticking those glittery panels on the sides -- lipstick on a pig that only draws your attention to the awfulness that has been done to our urban fabric. I wish they'd gone with a firm like WPA that practices "honesty in architecture" when it comes to above-ground garages. Show us our folly.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
OHSU will be building 1,200 parking spaces in the garage with a developer building the apartments. Expected start is September 2020.
That is very unfortunate. The region is literally spending billions on new light rail infrastructure to provide access to OHSU to avoid having so many car trips generated by their campus. A parking garage of 1,200 spaces (about 700 more than the current surface lot) is an invitation for more significantly more car trips per day, depending on how much turnover the parking spaces provide.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 1:02 AM

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...k-by-ohsu.html

Quote:
Portland halts unpermitted tunneling work by OHSU
Updated Mar 28, 3:39 PM; Posted Mar 28, 3:31 PM
By Gordon R. Friedman | The Oregonian/OregonLive

The city of Portland has stopped Oregon Health & Science University from constructing a tunnel at its developing South Waterfront campus because it did not have the necessary permits.

A cadre of city managers overseeing building inspections and code enforcement met March 18 with Rebecca Esau, the Bureau of Development Services director, to discuss what to do about the unpermitted construction.

Officials decided to issue a “stop work order” that halted OHSU’s building.

Darryl Godsby, the official overseeing city building code inspectors, told The Oregonian/OregonLive his crews observed workers had drilled into the ground and poured concrete where a subterranean pedestrian tunnel is to connect OHSU buildings.
...(continues)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 7:34 PM

Design Advice Request Posting Notice for the OHSU – Doernbecher Children’s Hospital Addition

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Design Advice Request Posting Notice for the OHSU – Doernbecher Children’s Hospital Addition
I’m hoping once the dust settles between OHSU/Legacy that they merge Randall and Doernbecher and create a moderately high powered Children’s hospital, add to R&D capabilities, recruit more prestigious staff, etc. Whole becomes better than the sum of parts (name cache, better rankings).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
I’m hoping once the dust settles between OHSU/Legacy that they merge Randall and Doernbecher and create a moderately high powered Children’s hospital, add to R&D capabilities, recruit more prestigious staff, etc. Whole becomes better than the sum of parts (name cache, better rankings).
This addition will focus on labor and delivery, and a neonatal ICU.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 2:25 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
This addition will focus on labor and delivery, and a neonatal ICU.
Which is also interesting going forward. My youngest was born at Good Sam. Makes you wonder if they will keep that going, with known national L&D issues. Or if they will focus on that instead.

From everything I hear is OHSU is very space constrained up the hill (for obvious reasons). Hence all the recent development in the south waterfront. But you know who has easily developable lots that could accommodate major expansions? Legacy Emmanuel. if I'm OHSU, this is a time for a major rethink in operations. Beyond just the financial merger.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Drawings [25 MB] and Staff Memo.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:21 PM

On the Design Commission agenda for 5/2:

Quote:
Proposal is for a new approximately 180,000 square foot building to serve as an addition to the existing Doernbecher Children's Hospital, in the Marquam Hill Plan District. Set into a steep hillside, the new building will connect to the existing building at the Level 3 main entry off SW Lower Canyon Drive (a private drive) and via a foot bridge at Level 8. Level 7 is a mechanical floor and Levels 8-11 will serve as patient care and support. The north façade along SW Lower Canyon Drive features improvements to the existing patient-facing entry lobby, drop-off sequence and surface parking area. The south façade along US Veterans Hospital Road features a new pedestrian plaza and a new long-term bike parking structure.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 10:37 PM

Staff Report for OHSU Doernbecher Expansion, which recommends approval.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Staff Report for OHSU Doernbecher Expansion, which recommends approval.
That's good to see. The power and stability of eds and meds in an otherwise interesting economic landscape as far as building development goes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland