HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:24 PM

If they want cars to go slow, narrow the road as much as permitted.

I hope in those "pinches", there is sufficient space for segregated cycling and pedetrian pathways. I hope it's also far enough for the xc ski trails in the winter to not be impacted by plows/pushed snow.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
If they want cars to go slow, narrow the road as much as permitted.

I hope in those "pinches", there is sufficient space for segregated cycling and pedetrian pathways. I hope it's also far enough for the xc ski trails in the winter to not be impacted by plows/pushed snow.
I feel like they DON'T want cars to go slow. They want a parallel Mini-417 like Greber wanted.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I will never be able to comprehend why we are sticking to the Greber 'mini freeway' in this redesign, again creating a dead space between opposing sides and effectively cutting off the city from the water. It should be a straight tree lined 50km/h interlock stone promenade with dozens of at grade pedestrian crosswalks.
Interlock stone? Hell no.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:18 PM
Busy Beaver

If I had my druthers the parkway west of Island Park would be down to two lanes with shoulders that fast cyclists could ride on, much like the eastern parkway east of Aviation.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:47 PM

I hope this alignment was drawn up by the City, and the NCC has different ideas. I would prefer a straight alignment over the tunnel with narrow lanes and a tree lined medium. Add a couple crosswalks with the flashing lights we've been seeing around town the last few years, That might slow down drivers more that the fun, winding motor speedway.

I'd much prefer maximizing park space and minimizing tree clearing.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I will never be able to comprehend why we are sticking to the Greber 'mini freeway' in this redesign, again creating a dead space between opposing sides and effectively cutting off the city from the water. It should be a straight tree lined 50km/h interlock stone promenade with dozens of at grade pedestrian crosswalks.
It's ridiculous. The amount of dead space lost in between is bonkers. Because of that, the MUP can't be properly widened and proximity to cars makes being there unpleasant. Also, it makes it impossible to ski groom the trail in the winter.
NCC had a huge opportunity to easily fix the alignment during the tunnel construction, and they didn't do shit.
"Riverfront Park" yeah right.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues