HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 28, 2018, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Marketing routes with minimum services standards is important - high frequency (10 minutes? 15 minutes) and all day is trans-formative. It should be as easy as possible to identify those routes on maps and signs.
I'm 100% in favour of clearly identifying high frequency routes on maps and signs, don't get me wrong. It's the marketing fluff beyond this that is making me hedge my bets:

Quote:
The MAX service provides riders with maximum convenience, maximum reliability, maximum comfort, and maximum efficiency to get transit riders where they need to go.
(Source: https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....cumentId=56585)

Want to sell someone "maximum reliability & efficiency"? That's an easy sell to someone as they're sitting on a bus in dedicated/separated lanes, flying past traffic jams. But on the North Crosstown? Not so much. I'm fairly pleased with the other new BRT routes; they're not "perfect" but they are excellent & significant steps forward.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Should have just invested that $$ in building the 8th Ave. tunnel downtown.
Thanks for sharing this! The 7th Ave stretch was definitely an improvement even in that the stations are much more aesthetically pleasing than they were.

But 8th Ave subway would still be cooler!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N McCity View Post
But 8th Ave subway would still be cooler!
Just a thought . . . had the original system been underground (8th Ave subway) it would be interesting to see how they would go about lengthening the platforms/tunnels for 4 car operation!!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Just a thought . . . had the original system been underground (8th Ave subway) it would be interesting to see how they would go about lengthening the platforms/tunnels for 4 car operation!!
Wouldn't they just have to widen the tunnel in the area where they want to make the platform longer? I doubt that this would even be an issue because what city in their right mind would build a subway system and use such small stations?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Here's a great blog post on what Toronto's going through right now. Definitely don't want to build too small to start off with!

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/10/...tation-expand/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure