HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
This was an eye-opener for me. This editorial by Niigaan Sinclair in the Free Press today looks at crime/violence in grocery stores and suggests it's cause is...meat theft.

While I have sometimes needed to shop for cheaper cuts/types of meat before, the thought of stealing or buying stolen meat was so far out of my little world the suggestion in this article blew me away.

I think it opens up a valuable avenue for discussion on dealing with the rise in grocery store thefts.

One can experience the sales of illegal meats first hand, by patronizing some of the not-so-affluent hotel bars in Winnipeg's inner city. Spend an hour in the Garrick Hotel Bar once a week, and there is literally no chance you will not find people selling expensive prime cut steaks, and other goods. Back in the day, I would occasionally grab a draft here, and on at least half of occasions, someone would be selling stolen goods, from cologne, to high priced designer shirts, to meat.

I don't mean to single the Garrick out, as I am convinced this type of activity happens at the Main Street bars, and others as well.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 18, 2024 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
One can experience the sales of illegal meats first hand, by patronizing some of the not-so-affluent hotel bars in Winnipeg's inner city. Spend an hour in the Garrick Hotel Bar once a week, and there is literally no chance you will not find people selling expensive prime cut steaks, and other goods. Back in the day, I would occasionally grab a draft here, and on at least half of occasions, someone would be selling stolen goods, from cologne, to high priced designer shirts, to meat.

I don't mean to single the Garrick out, as I am convinced this type of activity happens at the Main Street bars, and others as well.
I experienced the exact same thing at the Ivanhoe bar on Vancouver's main street. Folks selling meat, cheese, even small appliances and electronics lol.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 6:45 PM

Build a Bear Has Open New Location In Polo Park Also Specsavers and Freedom Mobile Is Coming To Polo Park As Well

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 12:59 PM

We hit up the build-a-bear on the weekend for some birthday bears. I assume they moved from the new wing back into the main corridor for some type of leasing thing.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
We hit up the build-a-bear on the weekend for some birthday bears. I assume they moved from the new wing back into the main corridor for some type of leasing thing.
If I recall correctly, CF requires stores to update/renovate every once in a while (not sure how often). I'd assume it's more financially feasible to stay open and fit-up another location, and depending on how business is going, it gives them to opportunity to downsize or upsize.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
If I recall correctly, CF requires stores to update/renovate every once in a while (not sure how often). I'd assume it's more financially feasible to stay open and fit-up another location, and depending on how business is going, it gives them to opportunity to downsize or upsize.
If its a franchise type operation a lot for companies require the franchise operators to do a refresh to the newest store format around every 10 years or so. It does not matter if they are in a mall or a standalone store

I can see the mall owners having that in their leases too as that would have the local independent retailers upgrade their units like the big companies do.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:37 PM

Ohhhh baby! I hope these guys are making robellus squirm. I switched to Fizz and am currently paying a third of what I paid to Telus. Let's hope Freedom continues the trend. https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...ireless-market

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan