HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:00 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Philadelphia needs to do something about the night lighting. Every other major city, even cities tinier than us (like Cleveland) coordinates their night lights every night to match each other and make a nice arrangement of lights. Philadelphia matches on some nights for a Phillies game or an Eagles game and on some other occasions, but we need them to match EVERY night imo. Also, if Comcast One can only change all those lights to one color at a time as we've seen so far, they honestly just might as well have not renovated the lights. What is the point in spending millions to redo lights just to have them be able to change to like 9 colors. That's literally 1980s technology. The new lights should be able to do animations and gradients and what not, similar to the Salesforce Tower in San Fran. Also, Liberty One needs to use their lights to the full potential. It has the capability of doing a rainbow animation and SHOULD be doing that all night, every night for Pride month, yet it just stays its basic color every night. I know I am ranting to probably no one who cares but it has always bothered me that the night lights in this city are taken so unseriously.

On a more positive note, I do have a contact at Comcast that says they are discussing renovating the Comcast Two light stick, so hopefully that will be renovated better and have more extensive lighting capabilities. Again sorry for ranting, rant over.
I agree with you, the biggest issue I notice is that Philly does have good lighting, but for some reason lack of maintenance, and/or high costs of the time caused the lighting to go out, there's tons of lighting on buildings that simply is not on, look at city hall half the lights are out, and have been out for a long time now.

Another example is the fact that IBX just recently turned on lighting thats been off for decades, who knows how many other buildings have lighting that's simply off.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:13 AM

Yup, it's beautiful ain't it! I am also extremely glad IBX recieved it's corner lighting this year, they were last lit up in 2004.
Oh, and I forgot BNY Mellon!

Turner
There was lights on top of the thick metal channels on the exterior of the Pyramid Club level, along with the external ceilings on the large overhangs being lit up. Not to mention those gigantic structures on top of the base on all four corners of the tower that look like huge lights...ARE huge lights! Whoever thought we wouldn't notice these lights disappearing, you better think again lol. I would really love to see Two Liberty's stubby spire lit up again

Bryan Y.W. Shin
December 2004

Last edited by TK2001; Jun 6, 2024 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:28 AM

Philadelphia City Hall by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
^ Base corner lighting test during construction

philadelphiabuildings.org

Mellon Bank Center AND Liberty Place also had smaller lights around the perimeter of the buildings

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:22 PM
Philly Rising Up!

By far, Mellon Bank Center is so well built. If you see it in person and the design, details, and exterior stone and glass material, hard to believe it was built in 1990 but looks 100% better than most new building designs.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:48 PM

Philadelphia handled post modernism architecture so well, though only four skyscrapers fit that category. As you know One Liberty Place is my all time favorite, but I do appreciate the other towers nearly just as much. Mellon definitely has an influence on Roman architecture as well, and Bell Atlantic Tower definitely deserves more attention. But thanks for making it hidden Comcast...twice...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 3:42 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

DJI_0356 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0355 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0354 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0353 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0352 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0343 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0341 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

DJI_0338 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 12:32 AM
Philly Pholly

;

Last edited by SEFTA; Jun 8, 2024 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
DJI_0338 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr
The playground above the Aldi looks fake, like it's a graphic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations