HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
I wish the renovations were being done in conjunction with a new tower development, but downtown isn't there yet. I hope one day relatively soon we get a north ave or arts center station tower development/renovation. Both of those sites are so primed and ready for something on top.
I have always hoped to build something above the five point Station, but the design company's initial feasibility analysis showed that constructing high-rise residential buildings would not meet the sunlight requirements for residences. Could it be that the sunlight is blocked?

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:43 PM

What's astounding to me is "More MARTA" has only resulted in declines in rail service. This and other projects do absolutely nothing to expand transit access. I'm also fully expecting an ADA lawsuit.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchKid View Post
I have always hoped to build something above the five point Station, but the design company's initial feasibility analysis showed that constructing high-rise residential buildings would not meet the sunlight requirements for residences. Could it be that the sunlight is blocked?
That's a shame. If they can never build on it, I wish they would have stuck with the initial canopy.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
This area between the stairways/escalators facing Forsyth would be the place for a pass-through to the Amtrak station across the street— if they ever build it.
I wonder what they're planning here? Can't tell what's going on in this rendering

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 11:36 AM

It both pisses me off and boggles my mind that they're willing to spend $230M of transit funding to redo an already existing station that isn't falling apart, that won't increase transit ridership, that won't increase capacity, that won't do anything for the city as a whole, but won't spend that cash on actually building rail along the beltline that would do all of those things. The priorities of the "leadership" at MARTA, in City Hall, and at the Capital is absolutely a disgrace.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 1:45 PM

It puzzles me why MARTA even needs giant headhouses like this at every station. The footprints for its urban stations like Five Points, North Ave, Midtown, and Arts Center are ridiculous. They should all be like Peachtree Center and just blend into the environment.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaas05 View Post
It puzzles me why MARTA even needs giant headhouses like this at every station. The footprints for its urban stations like Five Points, North Ave, Midtown, and Arts Center are ridiculous. They should all be like Peachtree Center and just blend into the environment.
Because the footprint of all the platforms and elevators and tracks are actually pretty large, and when they built the original stations, they were not built with foundations in them for high rises. Peachtree center is unique in that it was mined into the granite mantle, thus it didn’t disturb the existing high rises above. Hopefully in a few years the economics line up and they can reconstruct arts center with high rises, however I would guarantee the area with tracks and platforms won’t actually have any significant construction directly over it to avoid disturbing the station operations. In the 1970s when all this was designed, atlanta was much smaller than it is today, so it didn’t make sense to build in implements for high rise foundations into the stations.

Also, looking at Hong Kong, someday the economics will line up where all this land around the stations will be a moneymaker for Marta- they are already starting to do that with the TOD program. We are so lucky to have heavy rail core system built- it would have been 10 times harder building the Marta rail system today than it was in the late 70s

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Because the footprint of all the platforms and elevators and tracks are actually pretty large, and when they built the original stations, they were not built with foundations in them for high rises.
But the $230,000,000 renovation won't fix this. They're not designing Five Points to handle buildings above, in fact they're basically blocking that from happening anytime in the coming decades. MARTA has completly and totally fumbled the 5 points renovation. They should just spend a few million doing some power washing and basic repairs, and spend the rest on actual new rail service on the Beltline, and/or Campbellton, and/or Clifton Corridor.

By the way, there's a groundswell to get the city to stop this - which as we've seen with Beltline rail, the Mayor can do. adickens@atlantaga.gov

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
But the $230,000,000 renovation won't fix this. They're not designing Five Points to handle buildings above, in fact they're basically blocking that from happening anytime in the coming decades. MARTA has completly and totally fumbled the 5 points renovation. They should just spend a few million doing some power washing and basic repairs, and spend the rest on actual new rail service on the Beltline, and/or Campbellton, and/or Clifton Corridor.

By the way, there's a groundswell to get the city to stop this - which as we've seen with Beltline rail, the Mayor can do. adickens@atlantaga.gov
I would say this project is important to the centennial yards people and all the rich people pouring money into downtown right now. I believe that is why this money is being spent. The station is a dungeon, so in general I support it. I just hope they don’t axe the beltline rail.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I would say this project is important to the centennial yards people and all the rich people pouring money into downtown right now. I believe that is why this money is being spent. The station is a dungeon, so in general I support it. I just hope they don’t axe the beltline rail.
Yes! Hope they don’t axe the beltline rail !

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 5:48 PM

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY141 View Post
Very interesting, indeed. RMTransit is an effective advocate, presenting well thought out, logical and layered options to illustrate an appealing vision for Atlanta's future. There was not one word of inflammatory, anti-suburban rhetoric that stifles conversation and hardens suppositions and attitudes. Very well done.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I watched it a couple days ago. I'm annoyed he didn't mention Beltline rail as a path forward for growth in the city. Too many people are focused on regional/suburban/commuter rail, which the wrong thing to focus on. Without mentioning realistic paths forward, it's leaving the wrong impression in viewers minds.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 2:06 AM

Quote:
I think everything in the video is spot on but with no chance of happening sadly.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 3:59 AM

i like rmtransit and agree with his ideas generally, but i don't think he really has a strong grasp on what we really need based on this video. of course it would be really cool if we could extend the reach of the existing marta lines, but i don't think the level of density in our suburbs justifies the expense especially when we're not even using our existing stations to their full potential. metro rail is always better than DMU commuter rail but it's so much more expensive.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 3:50 PM

I agree that he sort of doesn't know what the city needs but he has some good base ideas. His point about expanding MARTA and using that as a commuter rail system honestly I agree with— along with running MARTA up interstates like 400 N and I-20 west. But we also have lots of little cute downtowns that could be served with light rail. Honestly it might be easier to get light rail approved in areas that don't want MARTA due to the reduced noise. But yeah we're not getting any of it out of MARTA. I genuinely don't think they have the number of people they need to get these projects done and what's worse I don't think they know how to get there from where tjey're at. They need money and talent from GDOT.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I agree that he sort of doesn't know what the city needs but he has some good base ideas. His point about expanding MARTA and using that as a commuter rail system honestly I agree with— along with running MARTA up interstates like 400 N and I-20 west. But we also have lots of little cute downtowns that could be served with light rail. Honestly it might be easier to get light rail approved in areas that don't want MARTA due to the reduced noise. But yeah we're not getting any of it out of MARTA. I genuinely don't think they have the number of people they need to get these projects done and what's worse I don't think they know how to get there from where tjey're at. They need money and talent from GDOT.
MARTA needs $$$ millions from the state of Georgia. But that won't happen until the voters in Georgia demand change and rail expansion.
The state's answer to mass transit apparently is to provide COACH BUSES for suburbanites entering the city. I guess coach buses are the equivalent to Amtrak on wheels.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:16 AM

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I really do think BRT, if done right, can make a significant impact. But done right is a big if. If the summerhill line is any indication, they're already failing on that aspect.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:58 PM

A coalition of organizations is calling for MARTA to maintain pedestrian, bus, and ADA access at Five Points Station during its four-year construction project. Coalition members include transit advocacy groups, neighborhood organizations, and groups supporting older adults and those with disabilities.

https://www.letspropelatl.org/keep-fivepoints-open

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta