HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:30 AM

Something like that ASU building would be amazing on that parking lot. That looks great. I am skeptical that the U would start anytime soon though given how their rio grande campus didn't work out.

I tried to find other examples of nice downtown university extensions like ASU but there are very few - I hope the U goes this way. This is USF health in downtown Tampa

Georgia Tech's 'coda at tech square' in Atlanta looks massive - I doubt the U would go this big and mixed use lol

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
In kind of disappointing news the Univesity of Utah has purchased the lot on 400s and State and the adjacent Brown mid rise tower. I have always thought this would be a wonderful site for 1 to 2 towers, but with the University looking at building student housing on the lot I wouldn't expect anything that tall. Hopefully they at least attempt to engage the street level, it is a great spot for that.
The "huge future medical complex" on 8th south would be half a mile away.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:40 PM

^^^
Yeah, The U. has been scattering new medical centers throughout the metro for a while now. Also, as you pointed out Sight-Seer, a major new downtown med. center is already slated just a few blocks away. It would be pretty safe to say that this will be mostly student housing with perhaps a little commercial retail and University-related services. Keeping my fingers crossed it will be along the line of Orlando's post.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 9:32 PM
Exit 298

The U admins would be wise to have a meeting with the Urban Planning faculty and ask, "Ideas of what we could do with this block?"

But if the U acts anything like BYU, the suits wouldn't even think of this.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:22 PM
They all float down here

I was reading the r/DevelopmentSLC subreddit on reddit and my god they're more unhinged than many of you guys

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I don't think we're going to be disappointed...The new goals for the U are similar to what ASU did. Take a look at one of the buildings...

That is a nice ASU residential building but FWIW that is not student housing, Mirabella is an urban retirement community that is designed to offer life-long learning and other university connected programs to seniors who want to live an active, connected, walk-able lifestyle. It seems like it's been successful but I do consider it nicer than most ASU owned student housing.

Is the U planning to do similar to what ASU has done in this regard as well?

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:38 PM

/\/\/\ Yes, that is Senior housing. I forgot to mention that, but the intent, like what ASU did, is to do mixed-use urban development with student housing integrated with it. So, even though that is senior housing, the look and urban density feel can be the same.

Btw, that was designed by a friend and colleague while we were both with Ankrom Moisan Architects.

Btw, below are a couple student housing towers that AMA did, and I helped out on, in the U district in Seattle.

Last edited by Orlando; Yesterday at 2:52 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:49 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
That is a nice ASU residential building but FWIW that is not student housing, Mirabella is an urban retirement community that is designed to offer life-long learning and other university connected programs to seniors who want to live an active, connected, walk-able lifestyle. It seems like it's been successful but I do consider it nicer than most ASU owned student housing.

Is the U planning to do similar to what ASU has done in this regard as well?
That's way cool! Got me making plans for retirement even though that's 30+ years away. I'm a big fan of lifelong learning initiatives.

Love the building too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West