HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 11:33 PM

UDOT should just reroute US-89 down 500/600 South and have it re-emerge on 600 North to reconnect with 300W/Beck Street. Give up all of their roads through downtown.

Hell even better have it follow I-80/I-15 from the intersection with State Street all the way until Bountiful.

But I know that's a pipe dream.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 1:18 AM

That’s the best idea I’ve heard on this topic!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 1:38 AM

What if UDOT split the highway? Instead of one 6 lane road, they could have two, one way roads with 2-3 lanes. For example, 300 and 400 W from Beck St to 400 south.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:02 AM

I apologize for the double post. I thought I would provide a photo update of a couple projects I haven't seen on here for awhile.

I took these photos of "Spark" and "The Gauge Apartments" around sunset tonight:

Spark:

The Gauge Apartments(left) and Spark(Right):

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:33 PM

Photo credit to Mark Jensen & Rawley Nielsen

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 5:07 AM
Lahaina Strong

North Capitol Building:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 2:50 PM

University Club building re-hab

Doe anyone on this thread know if they are going to re-clad that horribly ugly University Club building as they are re-furbishing it for use as apartments?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
UDOT should just reroute US-89 down 500/600 South and have it re-emerge on 600 North to reconnect with 300W/Beck Street. Give up all of their roads through downtown.

Hell even better have it follow I-80/I-15 from the intersection with State Street all the way until Bountiful.

But I know that's a pipe dream.
Agreed. UDOT should not own any roads in SLC East of I-15, West and South of the Mountains and North of I-80. No one drives through that area to get to another city. It is only a destination.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Doe anyone on this thread know if they are going to re-clad that horribly ugly University Club building as they are re-furbishing it for use as apartments?
Yes. They are...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:26 PM

Nothwest Pipeline Bldg. new Proposed Development

https://www.ksl.com/article/51033065...-housing-units

The developer is out of NYC. Curious how whey they are pursuing something like this in SLC. Here's the developer: https://www.xylem.nyc/
They do cool projects. Not sure who the architects is.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 9:44 PM
Exit 298

Wasn't the idea of the old Public Safety Building that it was unfixable and unsafe in a big earthquake? I'm concerned to see a developer trying to still use the old building if it has "bad bones" so to speak.

I must not quite understand the situation.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

Wasn't the idea of the old Public Safety Building that it was unfixable and unsafe in a big earthquake? I'm concerned to see a developer trying to still use the old building if it has "bad bones" so to speak.

Repairs and retrofitting are certainly a problem. The harder to fix issue was how much they had outgrown it and it didn't fit their needs.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:53 AM
Exit 298

I just remember an anti-tax group (Utah Taxpayers Assoc.?) took a tour of the public safety building, leading up to the bond issue vote—

And this group, who has never seen a tax hike they ever liked, came out with wide eyes and cold sweat and basically said, "Holy crap! Support this bond!"

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:43 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post

I brought this up during the Abravanel Hall discussion, government entities tend to really exaggerate how bad an existing building is when they want to replace it. I see that Public Safety Building weekly pretty close up when I'm at work. Its issues are more related to neglect and vagrancy, the structure is fine. They'll need to reconstruct the interior, though I'm glad the exterior appearance will be preserved.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:02 PM
They all float down here

The biggest issue with the building was that they feared an earthquake would put it out of commission and since it was the public safety building, being completely out of commission during a major emergency was a no-no.

The truth is, renovating it probably brings it up to the safety level of most newly built residential buildings in Salt Lake. They're built to withstand a major earthquake but that's about all they're expected to do. And even back in 2009, when talk about building a new public safety building started, the city pretty much conceded that the building likely wouldn't collapse during a major earthquake.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:56 PM

Even if that building were generally safe in an earthquake, I doubt it really fit the needs of a modern public safety building in a large city. I'm glad to see that new affordable housing project there after the previous project seems to have fallen through. That block needs help and renovating that area can only help.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:12 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Even if that building were generally safe in an earthquake, I doubt it really fit the needs of a modern public safety building in a large city. I'm glad to see that new affordable housing project there after the previous project seems to have fallen through. That block needs help and renovating that area can only help.
Yes. That was the other concern: the city had outgrown the building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West