HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Two Gilmore Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalasith View Post
Are there any store fronts that are as close to the train though? Maybe I just don’t take the sky train as much 😅 Watching the videos, the store fronts were closer to the train than I had imagined
https://maps.app.goo.gl/KmJsdRAJUVtBmx3y7

For 40 years here.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VHrap3A2QAaQTJidA

Not to mention New Westminster Station.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:23 PM

Or all the places in Chicago or nyc for examples. Seem to be fine

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VHrap3A2QAaQTJidA

Not to mention New Westminster Station.
I really enjoy the mixed-use retail/office adjacencies in public transit stations in other parts of the world. It's much livelier, and definitely feels safer at night when businesses are operating and there's still people around. I hope more retail/office is encouraged adjacent to stations as more transit-oriented development occurs.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 12:34 AM

The ones in New West station are probably the closest to the platform?

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
The ones in New West station are probably the closest to the platform?
I've been in the Safeway (one level down) and it's shocking how much you can't hear the trains while shopping - but step out the doors and it's pretty noticeable.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 2:04 AM

When I worked on some towers at Metrotown station, they had acoustic consultants make recommendations. For example, the windows facing the Skytrains got beefed up to triple pane. I imagine this would be similar.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 4:20 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidMoose View Post
When I worked on some towers at Metrotown station, they had acoustic consultants make recommendations. For example, the windows facing the Skytrains got beefed up to triple pane. I imagine this would be similar.
I lived in a Beresford tower, and when we first moved in we weren't sure how we would ever fall asleep. But in a matter or weeks we were sleeping with the window open, despite the noise reverberating off the tower across from us.

As for commercial tenants, facing the guideway will be far less noisy than fronting Georgia, Burrard, Kingsway, Main, or several other busy arterial streets. I think better points of reference than the locations chowhou shared are the patios that face the guideway yet remain busy despite the noise. Some examples are St. Augustine's (the patio is always packed on sunny days when I bike on the CVG and Mon Paris Patisserie. Never mind all of the busy patios on the arterials I mentioned above, which don't deal with Skytrain noise but much louder buses and trucks.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
I lived in a Beresford tower, and when we first moved in we weren't sure how we would ever fall asleep. But in a matter or weeks we were sleeping with the window open, despite the noise reverberating off the tower across from us.

As for commercial tenants, facing the guideway will be far less noisy than fronting Georgia, Burrard, Kingsway, Main, or several other busy arterial streets. I think better points of reference than the locations chowhou shared are the patios that face the guideway yet remain busy despite the noise. Some examples are St. Augustine's (the patio is always packed on sunny days when I bike on the CVG and Mon Paris Patisserie. Never mind all of the busy patios on the arterials I mentioned above, which don't deal with Skytrain noise but much louder buses and trucks.
I live in Burquitlam and I no longer even hear the train when it's passing by. I'm used to it. BUT, my brother who also bought in this area (by Safeway on Clarke and Como Lake Ave) could not take it and eventually rented it out and moved back in with my parents lol. He's going to sell the unit next year and find something without a train in sight.

He was in communication with Trans Link about this and they sent him a bunch of reports about their plans for the future re. sound mitigation. Maybe I'll ask him to send me those and I can post them here.

If you are super sound sensitive do not go near the Skytrain, period. But I'm with you, I don't notice it at all.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:24 PM

I think it's probably worse on certain noisy segments as well (curves?)

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 6:24 PM

Does anyone know what the residential parking clearance heights are? I have asked the developer, but got no response. I know the entrance to the parkade says 3.5m but I doubt that this applies to the whole parkade.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilmorePete View Post
Does anyone know what the residential parking clearance heights are? I have asked the developer, but got no response. I know the entrance to the parkade says 3.5m but I doubt that this applies to the whole parkade.
Do you drive an RV?

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoInvestor View Post
Do you drive an RV?
No a normal truck requiring 6'-7" clearance which restricts me from a lot of parking garages in the downtown area that have either 6'-5" or 6'-6" clearance.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I think it's probably worse on certain noisy segments as well (curves?)
This is the right answer. Skytrain screeching can be awful in curves. Much less so on straights. Next to stations you also get the acceleration/deceleration noise.

None of it is ideal and you can easily hear it 50 floors up. While one can learn to block it out, the best solution is to have an unit facing the other way or hope for underground stations / sections.

This area is going to be a noise chamber with all the tall buildings going up.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
This is the right answer. Skytrain screeching can be awful in curves. Much less so on straights. Next to stations you also get the acceleration/deceleration noise.

None of it is ideal and you can easily hear it 50 floors up. While one can learn to block it out, the best solution is to have an unit facing the other way or hope for underground stations / sections.

I live on the 30th floor facing the tracks on the Concord Brentwood development - I don't hear the noise al all! Or maybe I've gotten used to it and tuned it out similar to smoke alarm battery beeps.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:29 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53064043 View Post
I live on the 30th floor facing the tracks on the Concord Brentwood development - I don't hear the noise al all! Or maybe I've gotten used to it and tuned it out similar to smoke alarm battery beeps.
There's not much of a curve there. I can hear the skytrain at Terminal and Clark from 5km away.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53064043 View Post
In my experience, there's a huge difference between the Expo Line and the Millennium Line w.r.t. track noise.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 8:31 PM

I find the Millennium Line really loud! Especially around Holdom/Lake City Way, and in/around the Evergreen Line tunnel.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
In my experience, there's a huge difference between the Expo Line and the Millennium Line w.r.t. track noise.
Isn't a bunch of the Expo Line track going to be replaced in the next couple of years? I remember seeing a story about it a while back.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Isn't a bunch of the Expo Line track going to be replaced in the next couple of years? I remember seeing a story about it a while back.
It is slowly being replaced with higher hardness rail, it's an ongoing long term project.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 8:52 PM
Hello World

I mean, Lougheed Hwy and Gilmore Ave are already very noisy with all the cars if you face them. At least skytrain noise is kind of more rhythmically consistent and easier to block out because of it.

Last edited by NetMapel; May 19, 2024 at 11:30 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley