View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 3:32 AM

According to this landmark assessment report by the City of Santa Monica, the house dates back only to 1920 and was built by one John Myers, who specialized in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. Who knew there was such a thing? I don't mean that the region wasn't literally breaking out in "Spanish" style houses, because obviously it was. But I've never seen one that so closely emulated the actual adobe houses from the colonial period.

While the build date given for this site is obviously wrong, I don't think it means that the build dates generally are unreliable; in the case of L.A. County the build dates from city-data.com appear to come from the actual database of the County Assessor's office. I imagine it's mostly accurate in general, although people who have to compile enormous masses of such data are bound to slip up here and there. If you search out buildings for the years in the later 19th Century and then look at them at them with Google SV, the structures seem to be typical of the years given, and the years themselves seem reasonable given the neighborhoods in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentatrip View Post
FYI, many of the houses have info which is in error- I looked up the house I lived in (Hawthorne CA) It says it was from the early 50's, however the current home was built in 1993 after the old 50's building was totally demolished, but the info on the data search does not have any specifics about the demolition in 1991, Just be advised , the 1840 house , is probably long gone , where as the title deed for the property goes back as far as 1840, Many of these entries are added by small brained part time real estate hacks without any background in legal documentation and the data is not a final legal binder.
-

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.