View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 3:49 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Riverwalk

I am really glad they are trying to push for an enclosed element during the winter. Obviously to be a year round destination put to its best use it will have to be an all-season destination instead of a 4-6 month nice diversion for half the year and is next to useless the rest.

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...806-story.html
City Hall looking for team to manage Riverwalk
August 6, 2014, 9:28 PM

City Hall is looking for a team to add more than 100,000 square feet of retail space along the city’s Riverwalk and generate enough money to help pay off the $99 million federal loan being used to extend the scenic walkway along the Chicago River..

The group of developers, builders, property managers and maybe even advertising pros would oversee not only the six-block section of the Riverwalk that’s under construction along the south side of the river between State and Lake streets, but also the existing portion between Michigan Avenue and Lake Shore Drive........
........Considering the sometimes brutal winters that feature brisk, chilly winds along the river, the year-round component may be a tough sell, something the city concedes. “In climates with weather uncertainty, some architectural designs that are becoming popular include tenting, retractable roofing, patio enclosures and adaptable awnings,” according to the bid documents........
Shannon Breymaier, an Emanuel spokeswoman, said the city seeks “a year-round destination that reflects the spirit of the city, and this potentially could also include some enclosed spaces.”
.......Additional development could be added to the already built portion, including adding a second story to the space now housing O’Brien’s Riverwalk Cafe just east of Wabash Street and shops east, between Michigan Avenue and Columbus Drive, according to the documents........