View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:17 PM

Paul R Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
tovangar: I've always found a definitive online list of Paul Williams houses elusive. Do you know of one?
I don't GW, nor for any other architect. One reads that Stiles O Clements built more than 50 buildings on Wilshire alone, but no address list is given. We must have lost plenty of buildings by notable architects without even realizing it.

I don't know if one could now pull together a list of the 2,000 homes Williams designed (let alone his other buildings) as his archives were apparently lost in a fire in the 90s. Individual homeowners may have info (as is the case with the N Norton house) but it would be hard to gather.

I have a real weakness for Mr. William's Hollywood Regency efforts. I adore Saks Fifth Avenue Beverly Hills inside and out. The Assistance League of Southern California building is another favorite (although judging by his own home, his personal tastes were different than mine).

Has anyone asked Jim Heimann about an address for the Malamute? If anyone would know, it would be him.

Thank you BRR for the Harlow pic. I'd mentioned in a previous post that she christened the first Eastside truck out after repeal, but failed to find a picture to go with the claim. Great "Eastside" billboard too in the pic you posted of the drive-in.

Also, there's one of those single, concrete-stanchioned bubble lights in front of the Toed-Inn, same as the one at the Egyptian-style house Godzilla posted two pages back. Not my favorite design (I like the the "soft-serve" lights on the slender metal columns), but it's nice to see the variety.

Greetings fom 90025

P.S.
Thx for reposting the 1949 photo ethereal, that one never gets old.
Taix was at 321 Commercial Street (definitely within old Frenchtown, only yards from the site of El Aliso and the Vignes Winery): http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...-taix-20101017

I think the construction may be for the Santa Ana Freeway/101 (built 1947-1956): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Ana_Freeway

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM. Reason: add P.S.