View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This is the Warner-Elektra-Atlantic (WEA) office building in Burbank. It's Julius Shulman's "Job 6109: Hugh Gibbs and Don Gibbs, Warner-Elektra-Atlantic Corporation (Los Angeles County, Calif.),1982".
NB. I've omitted some of the exterior photos and all of the black & white ones.

The sign at the reception desk names it as the Joel M Friedman Building (see below). I'm not sure who thought that white lettering on an off-white background was a good idea!

Some more interior shots.

All from Getty Research Institute

The clipping below is from the Oct 17, 1981 edition of Billboard. It gives some information about what the building was used for, and who Joel M Friedman was.

books.google.com

A week later, Oct 24 1981, Billboard published this article about Joel M Friedman, or "JMF" as he was obviously known. I tried adjusting the contrast on this one, but kept losing the lower-left corner.

books.google.com

Now a Warner Bros office building, it still stands at 111 N Hollywood Way. That's the corner of W Olive Avenue, opposite Warner Bros' Studios. From laconservancy.org:
"...the Gibbs & Gibbs-designed Warner Bros. office building on North Hollywood Way is a deconstructed residential building expanded into a commercial high-rise.

Completed in 1981, this office building has a wood post-and-beam structural system like the classic Mid-Century Modern homes built by USC School of Architecture-trained architects like Carl Maston, Raymond Kappe, Ladd & Kelsey, and Buff & Hensman. The wood structural members are exaggerated, extending far beyond the building's dark-tinted glass walls, and feature exposed hardware."
I can't help feeling that the current paint scheme and abundance of trees detract from the original design.

GSV
Pardon my french, but DAMN that is an ugly building and interior