View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 6:53 PM

What's it all about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
This building. Located at 8760 Sunset Blvd. was built in 1967 to house Dr. Robert A. Franklyn’s Beauty Pavilion, a plastic surgery clinic. It was designed by Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer who lived until age 104 last year. It was originally painted white.

An article from 1968 in Sports Illustrated (because the Dr. was “a horse racing entrepreneur” states: [...] Right now Franklyn has his surgery practice in a spectacularly attractive round building on Sunset Boulevard. [...] The Beauty Pavilion is located in a landscape of shamefully ugly urban rubble that is quite typical of Los Angeles—on one side, a hamburger joint named Alfie's [8768 Sunset] and, on the other, a mammoth black sign with a huge red neon message pushing Hav-A-Kar rentals for $4 a day and 4 cents a mile. Franklyn has planted a large evergreen tree in front of the sign, but it doesn't help much.
I was trying to find photos of Alfie's or Hav-A-Kar to see exactly how the shamefully ugly urban rubble looked to a Sports Illustrated author, but not much luck. I did find a "Hav-A-Car" auto map from 1946 on Martin Turnbull's site. There is a photo of the Alfie's Restaurant on the Historic Hollywood Photos page, but my computer is allergic to that site for some reason and won't allow me to bring up any photo larger than an inch big it seems. (If anyone else wants to give it try, please do.)