View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 3:36 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
I would love to see the old William Penn High School renovated somehow.. it's so old and massive but I don't know what could go in there that would make the cost of renovations worth it.

There's so many others on that list that deserved to be preserved/reused too because the building style/materials/etc aren't used anymore and we need to protect our old buildings with character!

Also, I would love to see that Cumberland Valley Railroad Bridge turned into a pedestrian bridge connecting the East and West shores! I remember hearing about plans/hopes for doing just that but I think the bridge is somehow owned by three different entities, which would make that much more complicated to achieve..
The forget the ownership of the railroad bridge, but the biggest issue with its use is that Amtrak has use of it as a right of way to use when they turn around their trains.

As for William Penn? Schools are notoriously difficult to reuse. HBG missed an opportunity years ago with Harrisburg University. It could have located at William Penn or at Dixon University Center and had loads of room to start up and tons of room to expand. If it had been located at WP it could have been an nice anchor to help jump start reinvestment in the surrounding neighborhoods and the property was already off the tax rolls so it would not have caused a lose in prime real estate taxes like downtown, but I'm sure that wasn't flashy enough for the Reed Administration.