View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 8:01 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenseCityPlease View Post
BART should really go all the way to Vallejo.

Not only would this serve a city of over 100k, but it's stations would become the de facto entry points for Napa, Fairfield, and Vacaville, which together contain a population of about 250k, many of whom already commute to Bay cities.
I wonder if Solana county provides any tax revenues to BART? I know Napa, Sonoma, and Marin Counties don't.

No tax revenues = No service; should be a cry heard everywhere, including BART.

Building another rail tunnel or bridge under or over the Bay will be very expensive.

Vallejo already has a direct ferry service to downtown San Francisco, just like Larkspur. What I envision instead is another SMART like commuter train service in Napa and Solana Counties using the ferry piers in Vallejo as a terminus. There's a valid reason why ferries exist. These ferries can reach 30 knots speeds (35mph), which by the way is what BART trains average stopping at every train station along the way. So the train wouldn't be any faster than the ferry in a direct point to point service.

I would also like to point out that much of eastern Solana County is already serviced by Amtrak California trains running between San Jose and Sacramento.