View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
what a thread!

found this photo on flickr. it shows the area in front of city hall, where a couple of large older buildings used to be. one of them (municipal archives or something?) was aligned to the old street grid and stood directly between city hall and the rest of the civic center area, but the one which was further south, it's foundation can still be seen in this photo. it was aligned to the new street grid, but why was it demolished I wonder? would have been nice to have another older style building in the civic center.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8426355...7594215614353/

in this older photo we can see the two demolished buildings

from LAPL
The building which you see its foundation in the modern photo, that was the State Office Building. It was deemed unsafe for use after the 1971 Sylmar Earthquake, so it was subsequently demolished. The other older building that was at an odd angle because it followed the old street grid, that was the old Hall of Records and was demolished in the early 1970s after the Criminal Courts Building (the ugly grey box that looks like a huge A/C unit) was completed; it was built right up against it. I could be wrong but I think the Civic Center mall was supposed to be extended through that area, but instead of course it's been a parking lot since the old Hall of Records demolition. And of course now if the new planned Civic Center Park is going to be built, there'll be a park running through that Civic Center Area from the DWP building to City Hall. I'm hoping it does happen.

~ Charles Bukowski