View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2013, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
A few more Round House photos . . .
Flyingwedge, what a wealth of material! My eyes are about to fall out of my head I've looked so much these last few days. Exploring Victorian LA has been really amazing (and a change from my obsession with my childhood LA).

First, thank you so much for the close-up of the Round House before it was enclosed. It reveals Monsieur Alexander's original adobe house at the center. Such good stuff. George Lehman built the timber frame around it and later enclosed it. What a treat to see the "Garden of Paradise" sign! It was Lehman who painted the names of the original 13 colonies + "California" over the windows after he had the frame covered in clapboard. The photo is well before 1879 when, Lehman lost everything. He owned the 1854 building from 1856, or thereabouts, until '79. The famous Spring St cactus hedge was great to see too :-)

Lovely shot of St Vibiana's.

I'm back to looking (and reading) now. Thank you again and again.

Bricks. LOL. Magic carpets for sure.

P.S.
I'm now convinced that the original wing of the Downey residence is the oldest brick building (but you can sure take that with a grain of salt). I was focused on the wrong side of the Roundhouse before. Utter confusion on my part.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 27, 2015 at 9:08 PM.