View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 1:18 PM

Google Books
The Wilshire Country Club, ca. 1922. From what I can see via Google, the building has been replaced or remodeled...
anyone know?

jericl cat

Well, Jeff, while we're reviewing books...I looked at Full Service at the Strand, where it's half-price, no shipping... and I still didn't buy it...the book, I mean. Maybe every word is true, but it looks like a sad rehash of the same old stories, such as Cary & Randolph, Rock Hudson, ad nauseum. Exposés of Hollywood hypocrisy seems a little unsurprising at this point. Somehow you doubt that this guy was as personally popular as he thinks he was with the stars who paid him--and what a pal to try to cash in (again) on it all now. (And Gore Vidal's rec is not exactly worth much these days. There's another one screaming, remember me!? I'm not dead yet! I'm not a bourgeois square! I slept with stars! I had sex once!)

And while I actually slogged through the whole thing...Michael Gross's new Unreal Estate is similarly mind-numbing. Panting descriptions of the excesses of owners of some houses in BH, Bel-Air etc wear mighty thin.

Btw, I wouldn't want to read so much repetitive detail about the sex lives or domestic arrangements of poor people either! And I am very very interested in L.A. domestic architecture of the early-20th-century....