View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Wrigley Field
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley...Los_Angeles%29

Wrigley Field's opening in 1925, a full year before the Cub's stadium in Chicago changed its name to "Wrigley Field".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wr...ng_Day_LOW.jpg

In 1925, the Angels moved from their former home at Washington Park (which was also known as Chutes Park) to the brand new Wrigley Field in South Los Angeles, on the block bordered by 41st Place to the north, South San Pedro Street to the west, 42nd Place to the south, and Avalon Blvd to the east. (Speaking of Avalon, at that same time Mr Wrigley also owned Santa Catalina Island, and the Chicago Cubs were holding their spring training in that island's city of Avalon, whose ballfield was located on Avalon Canyon Road and was also known as "Wrigley Field.")

Left Field - 340 ft, Left Center Field - 345 ft, Center Field - 412 ft, Right Center Field - 345 ft, Right Field - 339 ft, Backstop - 56 ft. Capacity was 22,000 seats.

The Angels played at Wrigley Field until 1957. The park was closed in 1965 and demolished in 1966. The site is now occupied by the recreation facility called Gilbert Lindsay Park which was originally the parking lot. The park has a ballfield in the northwest corner of the property. The original site of the Wrigley diamond and grandstand is occupied by the Kedren Community Mental Health Center and parking lot.
This Wrigley Field was used for the old TV show, Home Run Derby. It was a pretty low key show where sluggers of the day competed to see who could hit the most home runs in a batting practice set up. I remember Bob Lemon and Rocky Colavito being on it. I'm sure Mickey Mantle and Harmon Killebrew must have appeared but don't remember for sure. It used to be on WOR Channel 9 or WPIX Channel 11 weekday afternoons.
It was also used in a pretty good B movie, Armored Car Robbery. I remember being surprised when the armored car pulls up to the stadium, there's a row of regular houses across the street. It struck me as odd that a ballpark was plunked down in the middle of a residential area. Maybe it was not uncommon back then, but it was new to me.