View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 2:08 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Kalvebod Brygge is so strange. What was there before the current collection of office park-type structures?
It - like the rest of Copenhagen habour used to be an industrial port..

The various habour names hints at the function - for example "Kalvebod Brygge" means "Calf Stands Quay" - and not surprising it was a place livestock was sold, traded and buthered..

You can still see traces of this in the buildings of "Kødbyen" ( "Meat town" ) a bit more inland in Vesterbro District ( the modern Kalvebod Brygge is build on reclaimed land ) that until rcecently used to be a huge slaughterhouse district ( now a bunch of night clubs, restaurants and art galleries )

Islands Brygge ( "Iceland Quay" ) was for the trade with Iceland that used to be Danish, America Kaj ( "America Quay") is where the ships from the Americas would arive and so on..

Basically making it easy for traders to find what they were looking for be they coming by boat or kart

From my childhood I mostly remember Kalvebod Brygge for the submarine that was parked there - worked as a museum like the one by Fishermans Warf in San Francisco.. but other that that it was ugly industrial buildings and grit.. so to me the developtment there and choice to modernize and create residential areas along all the habour has been one of the msartest choices ever made in the city