View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This could be true. Upwardly mobile blacks continue to leave the city. I do think economic conditions are improving for the typical person in this city and I could imagine, especially with the spate of school violence in the past couple of years, if you're a working class black family in Lower North Philadelphia who finally has enough income to buy something, you're probably not doing it in your neighborhood given the anxiety around the safety of your kids. At the same time, I don't want to hear about gentrification when 3 years later a bunch of yuppies roll through and start to renovate houses because all you did your entire life was aspire to leave.
It's a shame we can't densify the whole metro area without people yelling gentrification and nimbys

SE PA economy isn't the greatest IMO. Not everyone has a Life Sciences degree, not everyone is going into Tech. We need more jobs but sadly I don't think manufacturing is coming back. The Bellweather district is a perfect place for that. We have an airport and major shipping port next door. Ideally Budd trains should come back, but I'm just dreaming at this point.

I think Philly metro area has a variety of jobs, just not enough of them. Our top three Industries is (Education and Health services), Trade, transportation, utilities), (Professional and Business Service).

Link shows the Industry trend from the Philadelphia airport stats
https://www.phl.org/drupalbin/media/...%20%282%29.pdf