View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Paris, to me, has always seemed "blacker" than London, though it could be that the Metro/RER biases my observations, and perhaps the black population is more concentrated in Paris and inner suburbs compared to London.

Your numbers do show slightly more centralization of black popualtion in Paris compared to London, and I could see the Paris populations generally more centralized, because of the spatial makeup of the region compared to London.
Regarding Paris, this is where the Black immigrants and migrants live.

Sub-Saharan African immigrants in Greater Paris:
- 17.2% live in the City of Paris
- 47.4% live in the inner suburbs
- 35.3% live in the outer suburbs

Migrants from the French West Indies + Haitian immigrants in Greater Paris:
- 11.7% live in the City of Paris
- 49.7% live in the inner suburbs
- 38.6% live in the outer suburbs

For comparison, this is the total population (all ethnicities) in Greater Paris:
- 19.0% live in the City of Paris
- 37.5% live in the inner suburbs
- 43.4% live in the outer suburbs

As for Paris being "Blacker" than London, in the London LUZ (London metropolitan area) there were 1,419,213 Black and mixed White/Black people at the 2011 census. They made up 10.9% of the population. In Greater London alone they made up 15.6% of the population. In Inner London alone they made up 19.5% of the population.

In Greater Paris, using the same lengthy calculations that I have detailed in my previous post, I come to approximately 1.2 million Black and mixed White/Black people at the 2009 census. They made up 10.2% of the population of Greater Paris. In the city of Paris and the inner suburbs, they made up 11.3% of the population.

So it doesn't appear that Paris is "Blacker" than London, but it would be interesting to figure out where those distorted perceptions come from (Black immigration in London has accelerated exponentially in the 2000s, so obviously if people base their observations from their last visit to London in the early 2000s, the comparison with Paris will be distorted).

Last edited by New Brisavoine; Jul 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM.