View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I wonder how much of that is due to having more rolling stock. Despite having less track (and a smaller population), the DCTA train has 11 DMUs (and I think Capmetro has 6?). At peak times the Red Line seems to be approaching a saturation point (I've certainly seen it go by with standing-room-only during the afternoon commute). With twice the number of cars (or cars twice as large) I'm pretty confident that CapMetro could increase ridership with commuters that just don't want to stand for 45 minutes, or who worry about not having room for them one day.

Increase it enough to pay for it, who knows (probably not, but at this point it seems to be arguing over 8% farebox recovery vs. 6%, ie lost in the noise)? But paying for it wasn't really what I was addressing in the first place, I was addressing M1EK's implication that the red line had peaked in demand and couldn't be increased (by any means).
Don't know where you got the idea that I said it had peaked. It's peaked as much as we can afford to run for now - if we ran it at light rail frequency during daylight hours, we might eke out 5,000 boardings/day within a few years. That still sucks compared to even bad light rail lines.