View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
At this point, I think of New York's black population as being primarily Carribean slash West Indian. Most of my black friends in NYC are 2nd generation American, their parents having immigrated from Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad, etc.

For all intents and purposes, though I know its not exactly true, culturally it feels as though the black population that is descendant from the great migration sorta stops at Philadelphia (at least along the NE Corridor). It obviously holds for Great Lakes cities like Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago, etc. While Philly has less West Indian migration than NYC, on the surface it seems as though a more significant portion of Philly's black population consists of African Immigrants. Lots of folks from Liberia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Senegal, Nigeria, Cameroon, and the DRC.
Is Newark's black population mostly West Indian or African American? I'm really not sure.

Growing up in Connecticut, it seemed like the black community in Hartford was heavily Jamaican. In Bridgeport, it was pretty evenly split. But New Haven was pretty strongly African-American, without a very large Caribbean component.

Boston is a mix of everything, though Haitians are hugely over-represented. Lots of Dominicans and Cape Verdeans live in black neighborhoods as well, though many of them do not self-identify as black.