View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Most of the ancient Walls have eroded away and the bulk of extant wall dates from the Qing dynasty (1500 ad ).
Everything ends up eroding. There are wind, rain, just weather and time to exhaust it at some point anyway.
I wonder how granite would pass the test of time. Granite is known as a very resistant type of stone, but it probably can't last forever anyway.
So when some bits of stone of old buildings are really damaged, they have to replace them, most often by using the same material and being faithful to the original, of course, so it all remains preserved anyhow.

Take a look at this bell tower for instance.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maisons-Alfort

That's a church of my hood, easily the oldest around here. it was built in the 12th century, and it is said that the bell tower would be the very original, like even the stone would be the same.
I'm skeptical about that statement. Some bits of it must have been renovated at some point in the past. I mean I doubt the local limestone would be that resistant.
It is nonetheless original and that Romanesque bell church is remarkably preserved.