View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My point was that francophones who moved to the west had a certain number of legal rights to institutions in their language (which were either not respected or taken away).

Immigrant groups did not and do not generally have these rights.
Can we apply common sense to this going forward and use a mirrored approach? What percentage of a population or number of people would need to speak the minority official language in Alberta or Quebec before it merits, a separate school system, court system, major overhaul of municipal government beyond just information translated into the less popular language and availability of a translator. I ask this because tax dollars are at stake.

I had no problems with the building of a new French (not to be confused with French immersion) junior high/ high school in St. Albert last year, because I'm assuming the numbers support it, despite only 2% of St. Albert identifying themselves as francophone in the 2016 census.

Looking east, Sept Iles has approximately a 3% anglophone population. What would be the minimum level of acceptable english service for those citizens.

An interesting 'fairly' recent article about government legal obligations relevant to both Quebec and Alberta

Last edited by Landlocked; Jun 5, 2017 at 5:34 PM. Reason: addendum