View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
What? Why should an apartment building be a "destination point" for anyone but its residents? How would changing the way the buildings interact with the street make an apartment building into a "destination point"? Are you suggesting it become a mixed-use development with retail, or do you just think that better urban design will draw people to buildings like moths to a flame?
You obviously didn't read everything I read because when I mention the Can Plant apartments, I mentioned the buildings around it, which means that I am definitely suggesting that it be mixed-use.

Why shouldn't it be a destination point? It already is. People go to Planet K, Taco Cabana, Jack in the Box, Good Time Charlies, etc., why should that be all that people are limited too? Every place should be maximized to its fullest potential so that the when the next developments come along on Broadway, the foot traffic would already be there and we wouldn't be looking at sprawl in the city. I'm not suggesting it have a "big-box" or major office tenant, but there's nothing wrong with having a better designed building and space for a couple of small shops to set up if need be.

I don't think that better urban design will draw people to buildings, I just know that better urban design draws people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
You had some really high expectations for that area (where the embrey development is going) didn't you?

It was never going to be a destination. It was set back too far from Broadway and is already isolated in a residential area and on a street that dead ends that it makes no sense to for anything other than a really nice looking apartment building tbh.
I have high expectations for EVERY area. The Pearl is set back further from Broadway and it has a highway between it and Broadway; should we just have plopped down suburban style buildings and left it at that? What about Big Tex? It dead-ends completely and is set back further from any street. Should those plans just be scrapped? Tendick runs over from Brackenridge to Eleanor, all hope is not lost when you reach these apartments.

The fact that it is next to an Army post should not set our bar of expectations any lower.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925