View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 9:11 PM

I would love nothing more than to not only remove I-95 from Philadelphia County, but all of PA. There is absolutely no reason why that POS should have destroyed Philadelphia's waterfront. If I could remove/improve highways in the Philadelphia area, this is how I would do it:

-I-95 would run the length of the Jersey Turnpike, from the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the GW Bridge. Not only would this allow for the removal of I-95 in Philly, but it would also allow for its removal in Wilmington, DE.

-With the Jersey Turnpike re-designated, the section of 95 between the Oregon Avenue and (at least) the Girard Avenue interchanges would be demolished. The southern part of the former I-95 would become I-495 (running from the Delaware Memorial Bridge interchange to Broad Street), and the northern part would be designated as I-295.

-I-76 (the Schuylkill Expressway) would be tunneled under West Philly (via 31st and 32nd Streets) between Spring Garden Street and the Schuylkill River. Doing this would allow the Schuylkill to be expanded to six lanes between the Walt Whitman Bridge and the US 1 interchange.

-I-676 (the Vine Street Expressway) would be completely capped between 9th and 22nd Streets. Additionally, the westbound 15th/16th Street would be changed to the same "see-saw" interchange layout as the eastbound side. Furthermore, a direct interchange to the Ben Franklin Bridge would be established. The former will allow for redevelopment of the large parcel that the current interchange occupies, and the latter will include street diets for 5th, 6th, 7th, Race, Vine, and Callowhill Streets. Finally, the section between the Ben Franklin Bridge and I-76 in Camden would be demolished.

Temple University '18 ']['