View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 9:22 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
KXAN Channel 36, the local NBC affiliate here in Austin, ran a story on the 6 pm news this evening which claimed WN is having a dispute with local airport officials concerning lower terminal fees the airport plans to charge ultra-low-cost carriers (so far only Viva Aerobus) who elect to operate out of the low-cost terminal currently under construction on the other side of the airport from the main terminal where Southwest and all the other airlines are located. Here is the gist of the report that aired:

A letter was sent to airport officials from a vice-president of Southwest which says that a new low-cost terminal will provide other airlines with a "substantial cost advantage," while Southwest is bound by their lease agreement to use the more expensive facilities in the main terminal. The letter goes on to note that Southwest's lease agreement with AUS stipulates they (WN) should pay the same terminal fees as all other airlines. Obviously, WN's lease agreement was signed before the city decided to lease land to GE to build and operate the new low-cost terminal.

In the city's response to Southwest, the city's aviation director says that things are completely different for Southwest because they fly from a different terminal. The city also claims they can charge lower terminal fees for carriers using the low-cost terminal because the city will not be providing baggage claim services, jetways and other amenities that they currently provide airlines using the main terminal.

The Austin City Council is set to discuss the issue tomorrow in a closed session.

I was unable to find a link to the text version of this story on the station's website, but if you follow this link you should be able to watch the same video report I saw earlier.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/category.asp?C=4427

Look for "Tension between Southwest Airlines and ABIA" The story lasts about two and a half minutes.

If the city were talking about charging lower landing fees for new carriers, then I would be more sympathetic towards Southwest's point of view, but I personally don't have a problem with any of the ultra low-cost carrier being charged a lower gate/ticket counter/terminal fee for using an inferior terminal. I'm kind of disappointed with Southwest's position on this issue.
I knew this looked familiar!