View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2021, 8:01 PM

Saint-Georges-de-Beauce (ouest)

I have a personal "connection" with this church, since my maternal family is from there. Over the years these walls have witnessed sad and happy events in the family, including my parents' wedding. (Sad or happy event, I'll let you guess!)

However, I invite you to watch this short video which is really worth it. This church is absolutely monumental, considering the size of the city at the time of its construction. As a bonus, some nice views of the town from the steeple, and and occasion to practice your French a little bit. 😊

Few basic facts: this is the third church in the parish since 1831. Before, it was a journey of 17 km to go to the church. The first church was a chapel, but the second was a stone church, built in 1862, which would be an heritage building today. That church was demolished in order to make room for the actual church on the same site, in 1900 (or so), after a decade of discussion about which side of the river the church would be. The church costed 125 000$ and was paid for by the citizen within 8 years.(!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5x339YDjk&t=131s

Last edited by Binour; May 18, 2021 at 2:35 PM. Reason: precision